SUBMARINES Detailed Rules Explanation

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

mdavis41
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

SUBMARINES Detailed Rules Explanation

Post by mdavis41 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:04 pm

I am putting out an urgent call for help to all experienced OOB submariners. I am a novice so please excuse my ignorance.

The Rule Book has only very brief references to submarines and their behavior in the OOB game. I am playing and enjoying the excellent 2-player Coral Sea scenario. However my submarines are getting massacred because they keep coming to the surface. So I would appreciate help with the following:

1. Fully charged batteries on submarines moving on the surface. Number 3 shows on the unit.
2. Submarine dives.
3. What is the significance of the wavy lined hexes at the edge of the the shaded movement area? They seem to change after each move by the submarine.
4. If you move a full move at level 3, up to the wavy lined hex, will you stay submerged at the beginning of the next turn?
5. Still submerged, the number 2 shows on the unit on the next turn.
6. If you move a full 3 hexes to the wavy lined hexes does this force you to surface?
7. If you move less than full submerged move say 1 or 2 hexes, does this allow you to stay submerged?
8. What about with number 1 on the unit?
9. With number 0 on the next turn, I know you must surface and recharge batteries.
10. How many turns on the surface does it take to fully charge batteries. Is it one level per turn?
11. Does surface movement make any difference to battery recharging?
12. Does a submarine surface once it has fired torpedoes or can it remain submerged if not adjacent to an enemy warship?
13. Are there any planes that can sink a submarine? The Catalina does not seem able to, though I thought that is what they did.

The reason for all these questions is that I cannot discern any predictable pattern to the behaviour of my submarines. They often surface at inconvenient times and not just when the battery is at level 0.

The Rules only mention when you can or cannot be seen when surfaced on underwater. The in-game pop-ups address the need to charge batteries but do not answer any of the detailed questions I have asked. In fact the Rule Book looks slim for a game with so many variables. I understand this game is meant to be intuitive, which it is to a degree. But the lack of detailed references is a problem.

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: SUBMARINES Detailed Rules Explanation

Post by bebro » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:59 pm

Here's a pic that may help:
sub_OOB.jpg
sub_OOB.jpg (832.24 KiB) Viewed 682 times
Basically subs can move more hexes when surfaced.

When submerged, they are slower, but auto-aurface when you want to travel the full distance that is only in reach (in one turn) when surfaced. So if you want to stay submerged, do not move into a hex marked by those extra icons at the outer edge.

Subs also surface in shallow water.

Halvralf
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Halvralf » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:10 pm

Also important, subs on the surface can only be detected by standing next to it. I only submerge when I know I have to sneak or after an attack.
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by uran21 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:58 pm

mdavis41 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:04 pm
10. How many turns on the surface does it take to fully charge batteries. Is it one level per turn?
One point per turn on the surface to charge batteries.
mdavis41 wrote:
11. Does surface movement make any difference to battery recharging?
No. You can move and batteries will still be recharged. While submerged subs use electric motors but on the surface, it uses diesel motors which are automatically charging batteries due to motor rotation. Reason for surfacing is a need for oxygen for diesel motors.

uran21

Post by uran21 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:18 pm

mdavis41 wrote:
12. Does a submarine surface once it has fired torpedoes or can it remain submerged if not adjacent to an enemy warship?
If torpedoes were fired while submerged sub stays submerged regardless of its distance to enemy ship. Do note if surfaced you can choose between torpedo attack and using deck gun.
mdavis41 wrote:
13. Are there any planes that can sink a submarine? The Catalina does not seem able to, though I thought that is what they did.
Yes, bombers can do that but they cannot see subs even if they are surfaced. So plane will attack sub only if it is spotted by a naval vessel.

Wardawg56
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Wardawg56 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:57 pm

Is there a more comprehensive rule book than what was with the game? So many questions.

These comments @ subs were very helpful. Thank you. How about artillery?
he who gets there the firstest, with the mostest, wins!!

Return to “Order of Battle Series”