Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine
Posts: 715
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:17 am

Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by Daniele » Fri May 10, 2019 12:26 pm

"Horses ramp high and rock and boil / And break their golden reins,

And slide on carnage clamorously, / Down where the bitter blood doth lie,

Where Ogier went on foot to die, / In the old way of the Danes.

"The high tide!" King Alfred cried. / "The high tide and the turn!

As a tide turns on the tall grey seas, / See how they waver in the trees,

How stray their spears, how knock their knees, / How wild their watchfires burn!"


G. K. Chesterton – The Ballad of the White Horse


A new installment for Field of Glory II is coming and it is “darker” than ever. Wolves at the Gate depicts the epic struggles that newly forged European kingdoms had to face for their survival during the “Dark Ages”, a long period of recurrent conflicts that eventually gave birth to Europe.

This age was marked by the volcanic expansion of the Umayyad Caliphate and its fights against the Byzantine Empire, the last bastion against the Islamic advance in the middle-east. In Europe, Charlemagne, King of the Franks, and then crowned Emperor of the Romans, built the foundations of the Carolingian Renaissance and the beginning of the Translatio Imperii in the West.

But no-one was prepared for the endless waves of ruthless and merciless raiders and warriors that from the end of the eight century onward ravaged almost the totality of the Continent and the Mediterranean. Christendom’s towns and holy places were in constant danger from the depredations of the Vikings and Magyars, as well as the on-going Saracen threat. The Vikings were to carve out colonies in Ireland, the Danelaw in England, Normandy in France and the Kievan Rus in Russia. The Magyars were eventually to cease their raids and become the Christian kingdom of Hungary.

The Wolves have arrived. Is this end of Christianity, or is it just the birth pangs of a new world order?

Get more information about the product on its Product Page

Image

Image

Image

Summary of features:
  • 19 new factions
  • 55 new units
  • 76 new army lists
  • 6 new Epic Battles
  • 74 new Quick Battles
  • Expanded Custom Battles module.
  • Expanded Sandbox Campaign module.
  • 6 new historically-based campaigns.
  • New Allies feature added in accompanying game update.

Jagger2002
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by Jagger2002 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:14 pm

Wow! This looks good! Having recently finished watching season 4 of The Last Kingdom, the timing is perfect. I think the Vikings-Anglo Saxons will my first battle.

And we now have allies!!! That feature has been on my wish list from the beginning.

Well worth the wait.

AlexDetrojan
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by AlexDetrojan » Fri May 10, 2019 2:14 pm

My favorite FOG period. Well done guys!
Cheers
Alex

dark2288
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by dark2288 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:29 pm

This is great! My favorite historical period coming to FoG! This and FoG Empires will keep my occupied all Summer.
Well done!
Last edited by dark2288 on Fri May 10, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edb1815
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Delaware, USA

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by edb1815 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:36 pm

Maybe this means we are closer to getting "Storm of Arrows" and the high middle ages - HYW and WoTR, etc. 8)

Still this is looking good with the Allies feature and crossbows! Oh and does the timeline cover El Cid? Looks close.

miki
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:17 pm
Location: Barcino

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by miki » Fri May 10, 2019 6:02 pm

Great news! Please, release it asap PLEASE!!!!
Saludos
Miki

GringoIV
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by GringoIV » Fri May 10, 2019 7:21 pm

Great news, can’t wait. :)

Jagger2002
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by Jagger2002 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:53 am

Anybody notice those little 5 man units in the top Irish-Viking jpeg? They aren't skirmishers.

Jagger2002
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by Jagger2002 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:54 am

double post deleted

76mm
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by 76mm » Sat May 11, 2019 1:52 am

For those of you that like this period so much, could you explain what you like about it? I'm afraid I don't know much about this period of history, and am embarrassed to admit that I've never even heard of any of the epic battles!

Dux Limitis
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by Dux Limitis » Sat May 11, 2019 4:29 am

Jagger2002 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:53 am
Anybody notice those little 5 man units in the top Irish-Viking jpeg? They aren't skirmishers.
Those are berserkers I think.

uneducated
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:42 pm

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by uneducated » Sat May 11, 2019 9:39 am

The figurines are beautiful, and I welcome this addition to Field of Glory. I have a question though:

Does this make the game any different/better?

Would the stats for the new army lists change game play very much? Will tactics just remain the same? I wonder if the energies put into bringing this expansion might better have been spent on developing/improving a platform for user contributed mods. The new army lists could have been created by fans, couldn't they?

This expansion doesn't enable fans, it provides for them, so capacity in the community to create mods does not develop as a consequence of this expansion.

Hendricus
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:05 pm

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by Hendricus » Sun May 12, 2019 9:15 am

Jagger2002 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:53 am
Anybody notice those little 5 man units in the top Irish-Viking jpeg? They aren't skirmishers.
Berserkers perhaps ?

PanzerCro
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:53 pm

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by PanzerCro » Sun May 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Daniele wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:26 pm
"Horses ramp high and rock and boil / And break their golden reins,

And slide on carnage clamorously, / Down where the bitter blood doth lie,

Where Ogier went on foot to die, / In the old way of the Danes.

"The high tide!" King Alfred cried. / "The high tide and the turn!

As a tide turns on the tall grey seas, / See how they waver in the trees,

How stray their spears, how knock their knees, / How wild their watchfires burn!"


G. K. Chesterton – The Ballad of the White Horse


A new installment for Field of Glory II is coming and it is “darker” than ever. Wolves at the Gate depicts the epic struggles that newly forged European kingdoms had to face for their survival during the “Dark Ages”, a long period of recurrent conflicts that eventually gave birth to Europe.

This age was marked by the volcanic expansion of the Umayyad Caliphate and its fights against the Byzantine Empire, the last bastion against the Islamic advance in the middle-east. In Europe, Charlemagne, King of the Franks, and then crowned Emperor of the Romans, built the foundations of the Carolingian Renaissance and the beginning of the Translatio Imperii in the West.

But no-one was prepared for the endless waves of ruthless and merciless raiders and warriors that from the end of the eight century onward ravaged almost the totality of the Continent and the Mediterranean. Christendom’s towns and holy places were in constant danger from the depredations of the Vikings and Magyars, as well as the on-going Saracen threat. The Vikings were to carve out colonies in Ireland, the Danelaw in England, Normandy in France and the Kievan Rus in Russia. The Magyars were eventually to cease their raids and become the Christian kingdom of Hungary.

The Wolves have arrived. Is this end of Christianity, or is it just the birth pangs of a new world order?

Get more information about the product on its Product Page

Image

Image

Image

Summary of features:
  • 19 new factions
  • 55 new units
  • 76 new army lists
  • 6 new Epic Battles
  • 74 new Quick Battles
  • Expanded Custom Battles module.
  • Expanded Sandbox Campaign module.
  • 6 new historically-based campaigns.
  • New Allies feature added in accompanying game update.
I see there are croatian armies, will be possible to play with Croats ? :)

Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:32 pm

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by Hoplite1963 » Sun May 12, 2019 5:06 pm

Hi Guys
This is really good news. Any chance of a screenshot showing the Islamic elephants ?

Byron01
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by Byron01 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:35 pm

Hoplite1963 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:06 pm
Any chance of a screenshot showing the Islamic elephants ?
I found this:

Image

Pixel
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:52 am

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by Pixel » Mon May 13, 2019 7:38 am

Wow! Pretty Pachyderms!
Image Image

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 21651
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon May 13, 2019 7:41 am

If you look closely you can see that the elephants have swords socketed onto their tusks.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:32 pm

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by Hoplite1963 » Mon May 13, 2019 5:33 pm

Hi Richard
Thanks very much. These are really cool. It looks to me as if they would also be a better model to depict the elephants in the Sassanid army lists ?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 21651
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon May 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Hoplite1963 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:33 pm
Hi Richard
Thanks very much. These are really cool. It looks to me as if they would also be a better model to depict the elephants in the Sassanid army lists ?
Possibly so.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

Post Reply

Return to “News & Announcements”