New game engine.

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

stormbringer3
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

New game engine.

Post by stormbringer3 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:48 pm

What are the major differences between this and the older AGEOD game engine IIRC Athena?
Thanks for any info.

loki100
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Re: New game engine.

Post by loki100 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:48 pm

practically? None.

there are some concepts you'll recognise but its completely different in code etc.

devoncop
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by devoncop » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:30 pm

stormbringer3 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:48 pm
What are the major differences between this and the older AGEOD game engine IIRC Athena?
Thanks for any info.
I think Lokki meant to say there are practically no SIMILARITIES at all 😉

It has a battle engine, trade system, building functionality, map scale and multiplayer ease that were all missing from the Athena engine.

Check out some you tube footage. You will see what we mean.👍

stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:04 pm

Thank you for the quick replies. What I'm most interested to know is about AI improvements. In my older AGEOD games armies would march around in the winter and slowly melt away instead of staying in cities for supply and some other issues.

devoncop

Post by devoncop » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:51 am

Hi

Until the game is released no one can be sure but beta testers have stated it is pretty challenging. Bear in mind the pretty unique culture and Decadence mechanic means a simple map painting strategy of military expansion pretty much guarantees your country will collapse from within.

If you haven't already done so I would advise reading the development diaries on the game mechanics and then look at the Dastactic series on You Tube when he plays as Carthage....

All the best

Ian

loki100
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by loki100 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:26 am

stormbringer3 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:04 pm
Thank you for the quick replies. What I'm most interested to know is about AI improvements. In my older AGEOD games armies would march around in the winter and slowly melt away instead of staying in cities for supply and some other issues.
there's two parts to this. If you've ever played Pride of Nations you'll know that a huge constraint in that game was the difficulty of actually managing your existing state. Well as devoncop says above, this one has that and more, so massive over-expansion is only going to lead to spectular collapse - think Tamerlain or all the other exceptional generals who carved out a state by military force only for it to almost instantly collapse again.

purely on the military AI, its an AI but its good. It can do naval invasions - in a current MP test I've just had the AI land behind me (very annoying), it builds perfectly ok stacks (of course this varies according to the building blocks it has to hand), it can be devious in where it hits you and in the main it doesn't move around in a swarm of one unit stacks just waiting to be picked off.

For the rest it makes good choices, you can see its logic if you chose to automate some provinces (both for builds and pop assign).

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”