Arkebusiers vs Reiters

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

cotosmas
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Arkebusiers vs Reiters

Post by cotosmas » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:30 am

Hello, could someone give me some advice on how to use Arkebusiers? I find them to be really hard to use as they can't outmaneuver rival cavalry and their low numbers do not make them resistant enough to properly ZoC lock Tercios and pike formations like how I use reiters. If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't the only way to use them to be like Parliamentarian horse, where you place them behind rough terrain to discourage potential charges while firing at the enemy cavalry? Thanks in advance.

gribol
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Arkebusiers vs Reiters

Post by gribol » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:07 pm

cotosmas wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:30 am
If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't the only way to use them to be like Parliamentarian horse, where you place them behind rough terrain to discourage potential charges while firing at the enemy cavalry? Thanks in advance.
For me thats only one possibility to use Mounted Arquebusiers. Except rear attack if it is possible, of course. I dont like this unit.

cotosmas

Post by cotosmas » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:11 pm

Yeah they just seem to have the worst aspects of light and medium cavalry combined.

awesum4
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by awesum4 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:25 am

They are useful as they are cheap. Not great against other cavalry frontally but sitting in rough terrain they will hold up charging cavalry. A few of them at the end of the line to get into enemy flanks and rear can work.

But I do prefer light cavalry who are more flexible, faster and take fewer shooting casualties. But arquebusiers flank charge disrupting the enemy can turn a fight.

Return to “Pike & Shot”