Movement skill

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Mojko
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Movement skill

Post by Mojko » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:48 pm

Hey everyone, I'm taking a small break from OOB as I'm playing Fantasy General 2 at the moment. The game is interesting but as it's a brand new release it comes with lot of issues. There are some very good ideas as well and I was hoping to share some of them. For this topic I would like to add "Movement skill" to OOB.

This feature allows you to press a key (it's M by default) when you have a unit selected and it turns off interaction with the Air layer. This means you can move your ground unit under the enemy air unit. After the movement of your unit is complete, the movement skill mode ends allowing you to target enemy air units again.

This would be a great addition to OOB. What do you think?
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)

terminator
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: Movement skill

Post by terminator » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:46 pm

Maybe this feature (Movement of ground AA unit blocked by enemy a/c): https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 72&t=92481

conboy
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by conboy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:10 pm

I discovered recently that a strategic bomber positioned over a ground unit can prevent a fighter or tac bomber from attacking that ground unit. Apparently bomber takes precedence over the other types of aircraft. All of this sort of made sense until you factor that in. I can conceptualize how fighters might keep other fighters and tac bombers away from a ground unit, but not how bombers could keep them away. Maybe bombers could fly above the fighters to attack ground units. Or maybe it's just too daggom complicated to code. Devs should make it so any aircraft can attack a ground unit no matter what aircraft is positioned above it (unless attackers inadvertently left an attacking aircraft positioned upon the ground unit.)

conboy

GabeKnight
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by GabeKnight » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:50 pm

@Mojko: Maybe I didn't understand correctly, but otherwise I'd agree with terminator that using the "Ctrl" button for ground movement is good enough for me.

conboy wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:10 pm
I discovered recently that a strategic bomber positioned over a ground unit can prevent a fighter or tac bomber from attacking that ground unit.
Please note that although that statement's true for units in the fighter class, all tac. and strat. bombers can "push" any enemy air units away to attack the ground unit beneath.

(The may be some rare cases where that's not applicable, though. Like two rows of air units around the ground target or something similarly rare/improbable... if you have an example, conboy, please post a screenshot of the combat situation)

conboy

Post by conboy » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:13 pm

GabeKnight,
I am corrected. Thank you!

conboy

Return to “Order of Battle Series”