Objectives given without any ratio and sense

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

jimwinsor
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: Objectives given without any ratio and sense

Post by jimwinsor » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:25 pm

I had a case where I as Bactria had an objective in Egypt, presumably because I was at war with them through the Seleucids (who had invaded Egypt). That's the only oddball objective I've come across, however. And it cancelled after a while.
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

Jagger2002
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Jagger2002 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:36 am

My conclusion is you need to be very careful with alliances. You may end up at war with someone that you have no interest or intention of fighting yet receive objectives related to that war. As the Dacians, I was allied with the Dardarni. The Romans attacked the Dardarni and I was at war with the Romans. And at some point, I received Latium, the Roman capital, as one of my objectives. Shortly afterwards, I received a second objective of Etrusca, just north of Latium. So my alliance with the Dardarni backfired and I now have 2 useless objectives for the next 20 turns or so. And it is not easy making peace with the Romans. I guess the same thing could have happened if I were attacked myself by someone with full alliances. For now, I will be very careful with future alliances.

Bullseye500
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Bullseye500 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:50 pm

Jagger2002 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:36 am
My conclusion is you need to be very careful with alliances. You may end up at war with someone that you have no interest or intention of fighting yet receive objectives related to that war. As the Dacians, I was allied with the Dardarni. The Romans attacked the Dardarni and I was at war with the Romans. And at some point, I received Latium, the Roman capital, as one of my objectives. Shortly afterwards, I received a second objective of Etrusca, just north of Latium. So my alliance with the Dardarni backfired and I now have 2 useless objectives for the next 20 turns or so. And it is not easy making peace with the Romans. I guess the same thing could have happened if I were attacked myself by someone with full alliances. For now, I will be very careful with future alliances.
I have given up until patch 1.05 as my objectives (as Rome) are so far flung as to be useless to Rome's ongoing campaigns. I have to ignore the objectives which has me down around number "56" on the list, that combined with the already tough (bugged) manpower and metal resource issues has made my current game not fun. It's a shame too as I have added Macedon and all of Greece to the Roman Glorious Republic.

MARVIN_THE_ARVN
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:39 am

Just done 15 turns with Sparta as a test and they were all placed within striking distance of me. Some in cou tries I dont to attack but some in independents, seemed a lot better to me.

A test with a bigger nation might be more useful.
"I'll gladly trade you some ARVN rifles, never been fired and only dropped once"

arralen
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by arralen » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:07 pm

1.05 did not help anything at all with this problem.

Started a new game as the Britonae and played to turn 22, then took over the Iutii (Viking! Yeah!).

Started at war with the Cheruscii (what does not make much sense, considering there are still independents between), and had objectives vaguely according to this - although a bit far out, considering my "nation" consisted only of 2 regions which are not even part of the same province ... .

Played on quite a bit (not happening much, the game mechanics do not work well for small barbarian tribes), and made peace with the Cheruscii.
My ruler on his deathbed decided to change the objectives to some totally unrealistic ones in Aedui territory (what is basically the middle of France) ... while JUTLAND is still 1 province and 1 region.

If I would try to reach the objectives (and the AI surely does, judging from the strings of conquered regions all over the map), I would only totally ruin my CDR and drop into anarchy fast - or am I missing something?

PS: Sorry, looks like I can't attach the save files, even in 7zip-ed state ...

loki100
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by loki100 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:51 pm

If you feel a current set of objectives are not practical, just ignore them. The set will change and you can influence this by who you are at war with and where your army is deployed. As the Picts I got some objectives in Greece (my pirates were improving my cash flow by some raiding), ok, ignored it and in the end they reverted to much more feasible goals.

arralen

Post by arralen » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:59 pm

loki100 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:51 pm
The set will change and you can influence this by who you are at war with and where your army is deployed.
Yes they change.

No, I can't influence them, and they are getting worse - I am not at war with the Aedui or Belgae, and have a "0" relationsship with them, yet Objective:Rehnus was now replace with Objective:Helvetia.

Obviously, the game ignores the independent provinces at the coasts, and the Cheruscii, as I made peace with them despite of -43 relations, so it gives me objectives "behind" the Cheruscii, 5-8 regions away, completely unreachable.

loki100
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by loki100 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:46 am

arralen wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:59 pm
No, I can't influence them, and they are getting worse - I am not at war with the Aedui or Belgae, and have a "0" relationsship with them, yet Objective:Rehnus was now replace with Objective:Helvetia.

Obviously, the game ignores the independent provinces at the coasts, and the Cheruscii, as I made peace with them despite of -43 relations, so it gives me objectives "behind" the Cheruscii, 5-8 regions away, completely unreachable.
But you can - indirectly. They will shift relative to where you are active/at war. So army placement is quite an important tool. Are they achievable at any one time? Different question, they are not meant to be the next round of conquests in an ever expanding narrow circle around your current borders.

arralen

Post by arralen » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:02 am

loki100 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:46 am
But you can - indirectly. They will shift relative to where you are active/at war. So army placement is quite an important tool.
No I can't - it seems they switched around at random - all the while I didn't move my southmost army out of my southernmost region (Treva - basically todays Schleswig-Holstein).

I suspect that the game does not only considers the army placement, but the fleet placement as well ... and those raiding ships can get around a bit, thereby messing up the objectives?

This really needs to be fixed, because most likely it messes up the AIs as well - or do AIs totally ignore objectives, and therefore legacy?

loki100
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by loki100 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:45 am

well yes, it follows your army+fleet - agree. Thats how as the Picts I got objectives in Greece. So if you scatter your forces across the map, its akin to difusing your future intentions - which is then mirrored by a difuse set of objectives

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:36 pm

The next patch will not add objectives in enemies nations that are not your neighbor (sea neighbor valid though), this should remove the more distant objectives.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

arralen

Post by arralen » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:35 am

Pocus wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:36 pm
The next patch will not add objectives in enemies nations that are not your neighbor (sea neighbor valid though), this should remove the more distant objectives.
Now that's fine - will help greatly! Thanks!

But what about rebels ("germanic rebels") and independent provinces?
Especially in the northern parts of the map there are quite many of those for quite some time - partly because of all the successful uprisings that happen :wink:

If all those get ignored, than some nations will have to go without any objectives for quite some time ...

I'd like to suggest that the region which is part of a completely independent/rebel province and has the most pop (>9) or culture (do those have culture?) is eligible as objective as well!

eidt: typoes :wink:
Last edited by arralen on Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

loki100
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by loki100 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:24 am

you are always at war with rebels/slave/rapinatore held regions, so they remain eligible

Bullseye500
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Bullseye500 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:20 pm

Pocus wrote:
1.0.6...is this the one that will make the far flung objectives go away?

arralen

Post by arralen » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:35 pm

Bullseye500 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:20 pm
Pocus wrote:

Code: Select all

Full Changelog

GAMEPLAY and SETUP (improvements and fixes)
• Smarter dynamic objectives

gandalf0550
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by gandalf0550 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:15 pm

I was playing Macedonia after 190 turns and I went for 20 turns with no (0) objectives? How can you win with no objectives?

arralen

Post by arralen » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:17 am

gandalf0550 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:15 pm
I was playing Macedonia after 190 turns and I went for 20 turns with no (0) objectives? How can you win with no objectives?
Did you start a new playthrough, or did you continue on from a 1.05 save?
I started from scratch as the Cheruscii after patching and things worked fine ...

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:12 am

gandalf0550 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:15 pm
You have none currently assigned and none are given in 20 turns? That would be a bug, can you pass me the saved game through support?

Send the file(s) to support@slitherine.co.uk, copy-paste the thread URL and title and mention this is for Pocus please.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

Bullseye500
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Bullseye500 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:19 pm

arralen wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:35 pm
Bullseye500 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:20 pm
Pocus wrote:

Code: Select all

Full Changelog

GAMEPLAY and SETUP (improvements and fixes)
• Smarter dynamic objectives
Thanks.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”