Looking for resources on Elizabethan army.

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

AlexDetrojan
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Looking for resources on Elizabethan army.

Post by AlexDetrojan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:44 pm

I have scoured the internet for specific reference works on the Elizabethan army and have come up short on specific information. I own plenty of military books on general Renaissance warfare and armies but nothing specific on said topic. I've checked out references here on this forum also. Does anyone know of online content for this subject, or better still books referencing this topic? I would be immensely appreciative of any insights. As a side note any good FOGRen Elizabethan army blogs and such would be welcome also. Thanks in advance.
Alex

SnuggleBunnies
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: Looking for resources on Elizabethan army.

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:58 pm

The only thing I have is

Elizabeth's Army
C.G. Cuickshank

I have the 2nd edition, which is 1966. First edition was 1946. I haven't read too widely on the topic, so I have no idea if it would be considered dated today. Overall, this is more of an organizational and institutional history.

For the preceding period, I can highly recommend

The Anglo-Scots Wars 1513-1550
Gervase Phillips

which gives a good overview of the Henrician army in context. This one is more of a nitty gritty strategic and tactical history, though its introductory chapter on the British Isles and the 'Military Revolution' is excellent.

AlexDetrojan

Post by AlexDetrojan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Thanks once again SnuggleBunnies. There is a dearth of information available as far as I can tell. It's a ripe subject for let's say, Osprey Publishing to do a book or two on...
Chhers
Alex

GentlemanRanker
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by GentlemanRanker » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:25 pm

If you can get hold of a copy, a useful reference to this period is Ian Heath’s:

Armies of the Sixteenth Century: The Armies of England, Scotland, Ireland, the United Provinces, and the Spanish Netherlands 1487-1609. [Foundry Books: ISBN 1 901543 00 5]

Sadly out of print on the website, and ridiculously expensive on second-hand on Amazon, like so many of his fascinating later books for Foundry.

AlexDetrojan

Post by AlexDetrojan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks GentlemanRanker. I was not aware Foundry put out books...
Alex

Odenathus

Post by Odenathus » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:57 am

Small chapter in George Gush's "Renaissance Armies" covering both Henry VIII and Elizabeth's forces which you can now find online. The chapters on Irish and Scottish armies may also be useful. No titles immediately spring to mind but several books covering the Armada include sections on the defending English army. Finally-and I realise they're by no means scholarly publications-but army wargame lists will give a feel for what contemporary gamers think, or at least wish, were the general categories and proportions of troops in an English army of this period.

AlexDetrojan

Post by AlexDetrojan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:03 pm

Thanks Odenathus, that's good advice on the army lists. Did this and found some interesting insights. Thanks.
alex

w_michael
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by w_michael » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:11 am

This link looks like George Gush's Renaissance Armies chapter 9: The English - Henry VIII to Elizabeth.

https://myarmoury.com/feature_armies_eng.html
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns & Field of Glory II enthusiast

Return to “Pike & Shot”