Territory "Marker"

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

vexiliant
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Territory "Marker"

Post by vexiliant » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:12 pm

I'm probably going to bombard the forum with a lot of questions regarding the Editors, but anyways, how I can get these "diagonal lines" indicating the countries territory for the Campaign Editor?

I've also tried to find it in the Editor itself but no results. Either I can't find anyone showing these answers to these types of uncommon questions, or i'm just blind.

Example:

Do I have to label the countries? Find something behind text to unravel this question's answer? Something to do with Factions? I really don't know.
vex

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Territory "Marker"

Post by bru888 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:11 am

Ask away! You've already asked two good questions. Unfortunately, you have already stumped me with the second one. :)

Those territory markers are one aspect of campaign designing that I know very little about. I will tell you what I do know:

1) They are the result of these mask.tga files in the campaign folder:

Image0092.jpg
Image0092.jpg (328.49 KiB) Viewed 160 times

2) Those files are not designed in the Campaign Editor. They are created in a separate process which I would love to learn.

That's as much as I know. My associate Erik may have more information. Perhaps Gabe, terminator, kondi, conboy, or someone else will know.
- Bru

vexiliant

Post by vexiliant » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:00 am

Shucks, I knew it was going to be a hard question to cover. As soon as I saw no information about it, I figured there's like literally no way of doing it in the Editor.

They should implement the territory "markers" for the Campaign Editor though, that would help a lot.

Anyways the Campaign Editor is confusing in general like:

1. Not clearing up stuff (such as not explaining items/functions, this goes for the Scenario Editor as well)

2. Very little information online regarding (both) the Editor(s). As of now, I'm pretty sure there's not even one video tutorial/guide to the Editors.

I actually use your Editor manuals Bru, it actually helped me understand a bit of the Editor(s), so thanks for that. I even have it on my desktop for a shortcut:

vex

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:40 am

I am flattered, vex, thanks. Hopefully somebody will come along to shed more light on this subject.
- Bru

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:29 pm

I think there was some issues with using the mask files in custom campaigns.
So I'm not using any in my own campaigns.

conboy
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by conboy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:14 pm

For record, i am clueless about this issue. I dont even know how to pull up the map (mask). So I'm all ears...

conboy

Post by conboy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:33 pm

Vexiliant,
I also want to point out that nearly all my learning experiences are laid out in detail on this forum. For example, if you search "conboy timer" you will unearth a great deal of information on the use of the Trigger Timer condition.

Just saying that my questions have for the most range from elementary (e.g., how do you remove a terrain feature?), to intermediate.

That might save you some time. Bru's scenario editor manual is a great resource, but if an issue isn't covered in that, check my posts/thread, as I have never been reluctant to ask a basic question, and experienced developers are quite willing to share their knowledge and experience. Good luck!

p.s., If you figure out how to make an event occur at the start of the 4th turn after another event, let us know, please.

conboy

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:50 pm

Re those mask files:

They are TGA image files showing a certain part of the territory which is then colored using those stripes, according to side/faction.

So the stripes are done by the game if the mask files are present, but they require to be made in a 2d gfx program.

vexiliant

Post by vexiliant » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:25 pm

conboy wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:33 pm
Vexiliant,
I also want to point out that nearly all my learning experiences are laid out in detail on this forum. For example, if you search "conboy timer" you will unearth a great deal of information on the use of the Trigger Timer condition.

Just saying that my questions have for the most range from elementary (e.g., how do you remove a terrain feature?), to intermediate.

That might save you some time. Bru's scenario editor manual is a great resource, but if an issue isn't covered in that, check my posts/thread, as I have never been reluctant to ask a basic question, and experienced developers are quite willing to share their knowledge and experience. Good luck!

p.s., If you figure out how to make an event occur at the start of the 4th turn after another event, let us know, please.

conboy
Thanks conboy, I will definitely use your knowledge upon the topic. I haven't been really good at making triggers, I am more of a map maker-type of person, I will show an example:

(That's one part of the entire 2 maps I made) (Not even the full map for the 1st one)

Also, conboy, are you talking about making a trigger so it removes a certain terrain feature with-in the game? Or just using the Scenario Editor instead?

But anyways, yeah I will try to find a way to make an event occur at the start of the 4th turn after another event. It might be hard but i'll try.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As for bebro,
bebro wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:50 pm
Re those mask files:

They are TGA image files showing a certain part of the territory which is then colored using those stripes, according to side/faction.

So the stripes are done by the game if the mask files are present, but they require to be made in a 2d gfx program.
I kind of figured that out since:

1. If they are not in-game, then it has to be something with-in the files which Bru showed.

2. There is some process i'm guessing regarding the stripes.
vex

conboy

Post by conboy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:46 am

Vexiliant,
Also, conboy, are you talking about making a trigger so it removes a certain terrain feature with-in the game? Or just using the Scenario Editor instead?

But anyways, yeah I will try to find a way to make an event occur at the start of the 4th turn after another event. It might be hard but i'll try.
First, No, I am talking about any event that can occur due to a trigger at a predictable moment several turns away -- any event. We have already established that maps (terrain features or flags) cannot be altered via triggers.
Please don't think I am requesting you do a fool's errand! If you happen to find a way to predictably trigger an event several turns away, we want to know -- a lot of effort (at least on my part) has been expended to find that grail, to no productive reward. I mean if you just happen to come across a reliable method, not go find one...

Good luck, see your stuff down the road. Liked the map!

conboy

vexiliant

Post by vexiliant » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:40 am

conboy wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:46 am
Vexiliant,

First, No, I am talking about any event that can occur due to a trigger at a predictable moment several turns away -- any event. We have already established that maps (terrain features or flags) cannot be altered via triggers.
Please don't think I am requesting you do a fool's errand! If you happen to find a way to predictably trigger an event several turns away, we want to know -- a lot of effort (at least on my part) has been expended to find that grail, to no productive reward. I mean if you just happen to come across a reliable method, not go find one...

Good luck, see your stuff down the road. Liked the map!

conboy
Ahh, I understand that now. Took me a few moments for me to wrap it around my head. I probably miss-worded the entire thing but I understood what you meant. What I meant was I will just study triggers in the meantime (because I have to in order to make fully functional scenarios) and hope I can answer what you are trying to figure out.
vex

vexiliant

Post by vexiliant » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:41 am

I can dedicate some time right now just finding the method on doing it.
vex

vexiliant

Post by vexiliant » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:44 am

^ If I come across it (I think you get the idea :D)
vex

terminator
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by terminator » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:18 am

I don’t think the "Markers" are usable for usermade campaigns, it seems to be a functionality that can only be used by developers :(

vexiliant

Post by vexiliant » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:26 pm

terminator wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:18 am
I don’t think the "Markers" are usable for usermade campaigns, it seems to be a functionality that can only be used by developers :(
That's unfortunate. It would look so good on user-made campaigns. :( :!:
vex

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”