Objective Numbers

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

vexiliant
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Objective Numbers

Post by vexiliant »

Next question, here we go. For the Missions tab > Objectives, how does one set an objective to have a number (ex: Capture ___ in under 20 turns : Take down __ (number) planes)?

Can't figure it out like all the other questions.. :arrow: :(

And as well when capturing a VP, makes it turn into completed? Couldn't really get it to check as completed (I feel like I have done it, but not sure...)

I've tried doing one from a trigger, but when captured nothing happened. I can only get it to where it's already completed just because of the option to do it in the Missions tab.
8)
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Objective Numbers

Post by bru888 »

Answers.
vexiliant wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:24 am Next question, here we go. For the Missions tab > Objectives, how does one set an objective to have a number (ex: Capture ___ in under 20 turns : Take down __ (number) planes)?

Can't figure it out like all the other questions.. :arrow: :(

I assume you mean choosing the numbers as goals. Well, this aspect is subjective in nature. This kind of thing, and gameplay balance, are the two hardest aspects of scenario design. Often you need to play through a bit to determine the proper number of turns, units, etc. (On the other hand, if you meant how to set up triggers to accomplish the objectives, post again.)

And as well when capturing a VP, makes it turn into completed? Couldn't really get it to check as completed (I feel like I have done it, but not sure...)

I've tried doing one from a trigger, but when captured nothing happened. I can only get it to where it's already completed just because of the option to do it in the Missions tab.

Hmmm. Now I do have the feeling that you are talking about the triggers instead of the setting the objectives themselves. Please clarify.
- Bru
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

vexiliant wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:24 am I've tried doing one from a trigger, but when captured nothing happened. I can only get it to where it's already completed just because of the option to do it in the Missions tab.
Say you have set up the town with a gold flag = primary objective, and the objective defined as in your pic already.

Add a trigger with "trigger event" set to "Capture VP event".

As condition, use "check VP count" having correct side/nation/team correct type (primary/secondary) and the number so either = 1 or > 0 for one objective hex. As long you're not doing anything sophisticated in effects it's not much of a differecne here, but "=" is very strict, which can be a prob in certain cases.

However, add a second condition: "Check Turn" < 20, for the side that needs to get this town

Then go to effects, add "Set objective state" and select the objective in question to be completed for this side.

This is the basic thing - it will mark the objective as done if you take 1 primary hex in less than 20 turns, so max. *within* turn 19.

If you have several objective hexes, but want to have the "under 20 turns" only for one specifc - use "check hex owner" instead "check VP count", and mark the hex in question.

If you also want to mark this objective as lost when time is up (so from 20 and higher) you have to add a second trigger setting the objective state to failed from turn 20.

Then in effects you can add lotsa other stuff a popup, a reward etc.
vexiliant

Post by vexiliant »

bru888 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:48 am Hmmm. Now I do have the feeling that you are talking about the triggers instead of the setting the objectives themselves. Please clarify.
Yes, I was talking about the triggers. The objectives were easier to understand.
bebro wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:22 pm Say you have set up the town with a gold flag = primary objective, and the objective defined as in your pic already.

Add a trigger with "trigger event" set to "Capture VP event".

As condition, use "check VP count" having correct side/nation/team correct type (primary/secondary) and the number so either = 1 or > 0 for one objective hex. As long you're not doing anything sophisticated in effects it's not much of a differecne here, but "=" is very strict, which can be a prob in certain cases.

However, add a second condition: "Check Turn" < 20, for the side that needs to get this town

Then go to effects, add "Set objective state" and select the objective in question to be completed for this side.

This is the basic thing - it will mark the objective as done if you take 1 primary hex in less than 20 turns, so max. *within* turn 19.

If you have several objective hexes, but want to have the "under 20 turns" only for one specifc - use "check hex owner" instead "check VP count", and mark the hex in question.

If you also want to mark this objective as lost when time is up (so from 20 and higher) you have to add a second trigger setting the objective state to failed from turn 20.

Then in effects you can add lotsa other stuff a popup, a reward etc.
This clears it up a bit more, thank you bebro. I have yet to try it. I will come back if it's working or not.
8)
vexiliant

Post by vexiliant »

I have come back with the results:

1. It will always stay as 1/20 as well as 1/1 for Newford (The "capital") no matter what I did.

I've taken the capital[1], as well as see if it goes by 1 each time.

[1].

(The middle one is Newford. It didn't need a goal(number) to reach.)

Wait, does it go up by one every time if its a numbered goal to get under?

Anyways, the capital doesn't register as completed.

Here's what I did:

And this is for the "numbered" one for the under 20 turns one:

(Goes the same for Greensdale)

2. It doesn't show it like what the first part of the U.S. Pacific has(or possibly any other mission):

8)
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Yeah if you have several objectives to take a specific town/hex *each*, use "check hex owner", instead of "check VP count". Count = 1 does not work if there are more than one primary hexes already. It just counts for the 1st taken, regardless of location.

You could count for all 3 in one trigger if there's no time-limit, but since there is a "below 20" demand for some, rather use "check hex owner". So in those trigger conditions mark the hexes associated with the specific objectives in conditions.
vexiliant

Post by vexiliant »

bebro wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:38 am Yeah if you have several objectives to take a specific town/hex *each*, use "check hex owner", instead of "check VP count". Count = 1 does not work if there are more than one primary hexes already. It just counts for the 1st taken, regardless of location.

You could count for all 3 in one trigger if there's no time-limit, but since there is a "below 20" demand for some, rather use "check hex owner". So in those trigger conditions mark the hexes associated with the specific objectives in conditions.
Ahh, I understand now. I will come back once again with results.
8)
vexiliant

Post by vexiliant »

I think I've got it, but before I finish up,

Does your explanation tick the turn objective by 1 each turn? Because It either stayed at 11/20 and 2/20 (And yes, I put Warden and Greensdale as secondary objectives and re-did the entire process) or 2/20 2/20 < (because I put the trigger event as a Move Event for this one)

(and that was at the start of the scenario, don't know why it did that.)

Does the Value have to be = 20? (for under 20 turns, I got that for check turn "< 20", then check hex does it's think then moves onto objective state, and yes I put it back to Capture VP Event after putting it as a Move Event)
8)
vexiliant

Post by vexiliant »

^ There's only 1 Primary flag/hex for the Blue team.
8)
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

vexiliant wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:06 pm I think I've got it, but before I finish up,

Does your explanation tick the turn objective by 1 each turn? Because It either stayed at 11/20 and 2/20 (And yes, I put Warden and Greensdale as secondary objectives and re-did the entire process) or 2/20 2/20 < (because I put the trigger event as a Move Event for this one)
There should not be a counter behind an objective if it's just about taking one hex IMO.

With trigger conditions only being a) Check Hex Owner and - where needed - b) Check Turn Count for the "below 20 turns" goal I do not get these counters. They only appear if you select "link to objective" at the bottom of certain conditions (for example for Check Unit Count).
Does the Value have to be = 20? (for under 20 turns, I got that for check turn "< 20", then check hex does it's think then moves onto objective state, and yes I put it back to Capture VP Event after putting it as a Move Event)
Check turn = 20 would be checked *only* at t = 20. Not anytime before if the player takes the hex earlier. Therefore < 20 for the Check Turn condition.

I'm not sure why you have 2/20 or even 11/20 there, looks like you're using additonal conditions?

For one objective with turn limit of 20 you'd just need this:
hex_owner_turn20.jpg
hex_owner_turn20.jpg (112.46 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
Then copy the trigger for several objectives and change the target hex. And without turn limit just remove the turn count condition.

Edit: or did you edit the 1 before the trigger (in pic before "take X")? That indicates how often the trigger can fire and we only need it 1 time to mark the objective when achieved.
vexiliant

Post by vexiliant »

bebro wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:46 am
vexiliant wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:06 pm I think I've got it, but before I finish up,

There should not be a counter behind an objective if it's just about taking one hex IMO.

With trigger conditions only being a) Check Hex Owner and - where needed - b) Check Turn Count for the "below 20 turns" goal I do not get these counters. They only appear if you select "link to objective" at the bottom of certain conditions (for example for Check Unit Count).
Check turn = 20 would be checked *only* at t = 20. Not anytime before if the player takes the hex earlier. Therefore < 20 for the Check Turn condition.

I'm not sure why you have 2/20 or even 11/20 there, looks like you're using additonal conditions?

For one objective with turn limit of 20 you'd just need this:

hex_owner_turn20.jpg

Then copy the trigger for several objectives and change the target hex. And without turn limit just remove the turn count condition.

Edit: or did you edit the 1 before the trigger (in pic before "take X")? That indicates how often the trigger can fire and we only need it 1 time to mark the objective when achieved.
Would this be right? Beforehand, I was talking about (the topic) on how it can show how much turns has it passed like: Take Town in under 20 turns 0/20, then it goes up by 1 (1/20) every time a new turn has been made.

I think this is right: (Newford, doesn't need a turn limit)
newford
newford
redvsbluenew.jpg (193.01 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
Then this is for Warden and Greensdale: (The objs that needs turn limits)
redvsbluewarden.jpg
redvsbluewarden.jpg (177.4 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
redvsbluegreens.jpg
redvsbluegreens.jpg (188.15 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
Riverton is the same as Newford.
And Warden is the same for Greensdale (both in terms of the same triggers but different hexes)

For Warden and Greensdale: I set the Turn "Limit"(?) (Doesn't give an explanation, but I think that's the term) to < 21 because there is 30 Turns max.. What I think about < 21 is that it counts as complete if you've done it under 21 turns (which is essentially 20 because if you get to the 21st turn without completing it you'd fail.)

And no I did not edit it. It says -1 for infinite frequency. (So that's why I didn't edit it, its probably a confusing sentence)
8)
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Those look good to me.
vexiliant

Post by vexiliant »

bebro wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:16 pm Those look good to me.
Yeah, I was testing it but I put Newford as a primary obj and so it ended it there, a silly mistake :D. But i'd assume it works if Newford's obj (I now put it as a secondary) works. I just switched Greensdale (since I was going to make an add-on to this "campaign" for the "Battle of Kirkwell", Kirkwell is to the west of Greensdale, but you don't see it in the pictures) and Newford around.

(the Battle of Kirkwell is going to be in-depth and thats why I left it alone :lol:.)
8)

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”