SS Flags

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

uneducated
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

SS Flags

Post by uneducated » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:37 pm

Is there much advantage to ensuring that an SS unit captures the flag at a Victory Point?
Is it worthwhile avoiding capturing the flag and risking leaving it unoccupied in the hope of later capturing it with an SS unit?

On this topic, which is the fastest moving unit available to the SS which can capture flags?

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: SS Flags

Post by bru888 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:22 pm

AFAIK, the Waffen SS operate like any other faction in OOB so there is no advantage or disadvantage of an SS unit capturing a Victory Point unless the designer has specifically included such a provision in the scenario.

It appears that the fastest units available to the Waffen SS and capable of capturing VPs (which rules out the SdKfz recon units) are the PzKw I and II tanks with 10 mps apiece. Next are PzKw 38t, III, IV, and V tanks, StuG III and other anti-tank vehicles, and infantry units in transports*, all with 8 mps.

*Edit: Apparently the transports themselves, empty, can also capture VP's but these cannot be purchased separately in the game. They can be placed on the map by the designer, however. This includes German Truck, SdKfz 250, SdKfz 251, and SdKfz 7.
- Bru

uneducated

[SOLVED] Re: SS Flags

Post by uneducated » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:53 pm

uneducated wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:37 pm
Is there much advantage to ensuring that an SS unit captures the flag at a Victory Point?
Is it worthwhile avoiding capturing the flag and risking leaving it unoccupied in the hope of later capturing it with an SS unit?

On this topic, which is the fastest moving unit available to the SS which can capture flags?

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:58 pm

Why do you keep repeating questions you already have gotten answers to...?
This is at least the second thread you do this.

terminator
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by terminator » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:58 am

It’s a way to be promoted faster in the forum :idea:

bru888

Post by bru888 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:23 pm

Maybe he is just being tidy. What he is doing is quoting himself, his original question, and placing the marker "[SOLVED]" in the title in order to indicate that his question has been answered satisfactorily. No harm done.
- Bru

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:50 pm

Ah, sorry. I didn't notice that...

uneducated

Post by uneducated » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:12 pm

I meant to mark the entire thread as solved but by mistake only marked a post in it.

There ought to be a benefit for the faction if the faction claims the flag rather than the main force. I remember reading tales of the SS being glory boys who would delay the entire advance simply so that they could be the ones seen as leading the triumph of the capture.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:37 pm

uneducated wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:12 pm
There ought to be a benefit for the faction if the faction claims the flag rather than the main force. I remember reading tales of the SS being glory boys who would delay the entire advance simply so that they could be the ones seen as leading the triumph of the capture.
Maybe, but it's not part of the current game. As I mentioned earlier, there is no distinction for one faction or another, as part of an alliance, to claiming territory or making a kill unless the designer made some provision for it. I have seen instances where a certain action must be performed by a certain faction (or unit) but that has to be scripted.

There is a function in the Scenario Editor, come to think of it, called "Teams share Victory Points." According to the manual, this means "any team member can deploy units around Capture and Victory Points owned by the team."

As you probably know already, an alliance is comprised of one or more factions. A team, on the other hand, is a union of one or more alliances. So it is technically possible to, say, have Germany in one alliance and Waffen SS in another alliance, designate both alliances as the same team, but turn off "Teams share Victory Points."

I've never seen this used and I don't know if it also refers to supply, but theoretically it is possible, I suppose. But again, the designer would need to set or not set this option according to his intentions.
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle Series”