Unit Move Routes

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Morbio
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Unit Move Routes

Post by Morbio » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:27 pm

I've noticed that often/sometimes when I plan the move of a unit from one region to another that the AI takes over and changes the route after I make the final click to confirm. Why is this?

I thought the game had a mechanic that would allow you to pick a route by clicking intermediate regions?

This is most frustrating as often the AI wants to send the unit either through a contested region and so likely will be involved in a battle I want to avoid... which is why I'm specifying the route! Or it routes the unit through the sea, which I don't control and have naval inferiority! The last thing I want is my hard-earned armies going into naval battles with heavy warships (or even light warships).

Finally, I thought a naval unit could patrol a coastline, but I seem to be unable to make this work well. e.g. My naval unit starts in sea region A. I plan a patrol to B, C, D, E and finally back to A. When I confirm the patrol route by clicking the route disappears and no patrol is defined :( Is this WAD? The best I can do is A, B, C, D, E and finish in F.... this may be OK unless the final region is out of supply and then I have a potential problem.

loki100
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Unit Move Routes

Post by loki100 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:33 pm

if you do a circle, make sure you confirm as you go by right clicking (or shift right click - can't fully remember what the final command has to be)

fixed moves shouldn't change - are you sure you confirmed your constructed path (or that you set it for every region - often you don't need to do this)

Morbio

Post by Morbio » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:51 pm

loki100 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:33 pm
if you do a circle, make sure you confirm as you go by right clicking (or shift right click - can't fully remember what the final command has to be)

fixed moves shouldn't change - are you sure you confirmed your constructed path (or that you set it for every region - often you don't need to do this)
I'm fairly sure that I've done this correctly, but I'll re-read the manual and confirm. The only manual I have is out of date, but I'm hoping that this mechanic hasn't changed.

loki100
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by loki100 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:21 pm

The circular move comes from a patch so you'll need to check what that actually says.

Yes, manual was written pre release from a late beta. The core is still correct but things get changed. We are still exploring how to get something on line that is easier to update but the extent of gameplay changes and addition of completely new concepts makes the old idea of a minimally updated 'living manual' (WiTW has a good eg of this) not of much use.

Soar
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Soar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:11 pm

Morbio wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:27 pm
I've noticed that often/sometimes when I plan the move of a unit from one region to another that the AI takes over and changes the route after I make the final click to confirm. Why is this?
This happens for movement orders targeting another stack. I have not seen it any other circumstance. Although experience tells me that being able to order specific movements before going for an intercept would be pretty useful...
Finally, I thought a naval unit could patrol a coastline, but I seem to be unable to make this work well. e.g. My naval unit starts in sea region A. I plan a patrol to B, C, D, E and finally back to A. When I confirm the patrol route by clicking the route disappears and no patrol is defined :( Is this WAD? The best I can do is A, B, C, D, E and finish in F.... this may be OK unless the final region is out of supply and then I have a potential problem.
There is a key you need to hold down while giving the move order back to the initial region. Control, if memory serves? I do this on a regular basis.

Morbio

Post by Morbio » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:37 pm

Soar wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:11 pm
Morbio wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:27 pm
This happens for movement orders targeting another stack. I have not seen it any other circumstance. Although experience tells me that being able to order specific movements before going for an intercept would be pretty useful...

Yes, I concur with your view that it is when you are targeting another stack. Why this should cause the route change is the key question!

Will_L
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Will_L » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:52 am

[/quote]
There is a key you need to hold down while giving the move order back to the initial region. Control, if memory serves? I do this on a regular basis.
[/quote]

Your memory is good, it is the CTRL key to hold down while you click on the initial region to complete the circle.

Morbio

Post by Morbio » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:51 pm

Will_L wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:52 am
[/quote]

Your memory is good, it is the CTRL key to hold down while you click on the initial region to complete the circle.
[/quote]

I can confirm that works to enable a circuit to be completed. Thanks for the help :)

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”