Losing your General

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Ludendorf
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Losing your General

Post by Ludendorf » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:03 pm

I have now lost my best general in the very first skirmish of a campaign two games back to back. These were routs in my favour, not battles where the units involved got badly mauled. Either I have been incredibly unlucky, or this desperately needs a balance change. The loss of a general should be a rare and tragic event, not something that happens so regularly on campaign I can set my watch to it. I've lost plenty of generals in battles that were essentially over nothing.

(Admittedly one was an easy siege assault. In which case, I blame my general for being on the first ladders in instead of directing the battle like he was supposed to.)

poesel71
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Losing your General

Post by poesel71 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:33 pm

Also the other way round: naval battle in the atlantic with no surviving ships and the general comes back like Ben Hur. ;)

fractious_celt
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by fractious_celt » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:37 am

I've also lost plenty of generals in situations where I heavily outnumber the enemy and am in favorable terrain. I have taken to removing leaders so that I don't have to fight the small battles in FOG2 to keep them alive.

Geordietaf
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Geordietaf » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:53 am

King Pyrrhus fell to a roof-tile thrown by an angry housewife in a relatively minor skirmish. To avoid losing your generals so easily go to settings and turn off the Angry Housewife option.

Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:55 pm

Geordietaf wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:53 am
King Pyrrhus fell to a roof-tile thrown by an angry housewife in a relatively minor skirmish. To avoid losing your generals so easily go to settings and turn off the Angry Housewife option.
I do seem to remember at least one medieval commander being felled by a thrown cooking pot. Still, such events should be rare, not an everyday occupational hazard.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”