Campaign Branch Settings Problem -- Ouch!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

conboy
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Campaign Branch Settings Problem -- Ouch!

Post by conboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:15 pm

What in blazes happened here? campaign was coming along okay and then this! See below, the tab header labels are gone and the two event results are missing on the right:
Screenshot 16.jpg
Screenshot 16.jpg (350.67 KiB) Viewed 164 times
But when I click on the scenario above the bad one, and it's okay. See below. Note, the others are okay too.
Screenshot 17.jpg
Screenshot 17.jpg (356.63 KiB) Viewed 164 times
also, it deleted scenario 11, I didn't save, and now it's gone. So maybe the campaign editor is doing something behind my back. The practical effect is that the next scenario won't play.

Zany stuff, must be my medz...

any comments, advice, etc? How to fix and/or prevent the tabs from going away and the events from disappearing?

thanks!

conboy

gunny
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Campaign Branch Settings Problem -- Ouch!

Post by gunny » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:39 pm

Ok I am sure you know this but always back up stuff cause your doing a lot of work. Depending on how you do things the Scenario may still be in the scenario directory the one you lost because it has to be in that directory for you to edit it but if you deleted the scenario from the scenario directory after you copied it to the scenario directory of the Campaign your doing then you shot yourself in the foot. You know this but always assume there will be a glitch these scenarios take up a teeny amount of space so you can make a backup folder on another part of your harddrive or even on a different harddrive if you have one and but backups in there but then the problem is keeping up with what version of the scenario it is.

Below is all the folders I made full of backups as I made the scenario this is on a separate hard drive.
backup.png
backup.png (8.84 KiB) Viewed 158 times
Anyway more importantly so what caused this problem ...
Could be 100 things maybe the scenario names are to long - this would be a glitch
maybe the scenario folder name and the scenario name you typed in do not match
maybe the dates are wrong maybe the timeline specified for the campaign are a particular time frame and you mistyped the timeline of the scenario for example the campiagn you made goes from 1941 to 1943 but the scenario you made it glithched the time of the scenario and the scenarios timeline reads 1958 or something ...
Maybe an inadvertant checkmark was placed when you did the alliances but anyway

You should have at this point about 10 or 15 saves or so of a "completed Campaign" meaning each time you add a scenario and everything works say scenario number 5 which means the campaign has 5 scenarios even though you are going to have a campaign with 20 scenarios but you should save the ENTIRE campaign everything you have done in a separate folder so you have a "completed campaign" having 5 scenarios then when you make scenario number 6 you back this campaign up again in a separate folder you can name each folder something like 5 scen done then 6 scen done This way if you have a problem (files anytime any where can get permanently corrupted at anytime - unsuable full of glithces) you can go back to the campaign where it works and say screw it and redo a scenario or something
Last edited by gunny on Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

conboy

Post by conboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:45 pm

Gunny, I didn't lose the scenario, it just inexplicably dropped off the Branch/Settings list. I have backups but I'm trying to prevent this from happening again...

thanks for your interest and response! Hopefully someone has had this experience before -- I have, and it is quite tiresome!

conboy (agonistes)

gunny

Post by gunny » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:50 pm

Ok thanks I have been at the same time typing in this lengthy back up concept which you are fully aware of but anyway maybe check out ...

maybe the scenario folder name and the scenario name you typed in do not match
maybe the dates are wrong maybe the timeline specified for the campaign are a particular time frame and you mistyped the timeline of the scenario for example the campiagn you made goes from 1941 to 1943 but the scenario you made it glithched the time of the scenario and the scenarios timeline reads 1958 or something ...
Maybe an inadvertant checkmark was placed when you did the alliances but anyway

I feel for ya cause I made a simple campaign that actually became a massive headache.

gunny

Post by gunny » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:53 pm

Ok in the first pic it looks like when ya play Anzio Breakout a win causes it to go back to Anzio Breakout WAIT not a DRAW does this but there are NO ?? squares for minor or major victory there should be 5 squares right ... Ok so here I think the campaign choices are only defeat or back to anzio breakout OK nevermind this is focus of the thread WAIT ok so this is what I would do ...
azio 1.png
azio 1.png (68.41 KiB) Viewed 147 times

Back up the campaign then take the scenario breakout scenario out of the Campaigns scenario folder then relink up the scenarios WAIT this is a lot of work ok make a tiny simple scenario with NO triggers just make a scenario you can put in place of the glitched scenario and put it into the campaign scenario folder and see if these links show up all 5 choices ..

Then if this works - this is called trouble shooting if this scenario links up and then links to the rest of the scenarios in the campaign then the Anzio breakout has a problem this is known as trouble shooting or Isolating the problem of figuring out exactly where the problem is NOT fixing the problem but figuring out where it is. So then dig into the Anzio breakout and try to stumble into the problem ..

IF you make this teeny scenario from scratch in order to place something in this campaign tree and it to messes up then something is glitched in this campaign folder the campaign is glitched I think ... but when ya put it a made from scratch scenario make sure the timelines are correct etc. .... Making one from scratch rather than simply ONLY taking anzio beachhead out prevents you having to relink all the other scenarios after it ...

Finally the glitch may actually be in the scenario before anzio beachhead even though it "looks" fine so you could replace the scenario before Anzio make another from scratch scenario in place of Anzio and maybe even one AFTER anzio to isolate the glitch even further - 1st ya gotta figure out exactly where the glitch is - .... Thanks for all your Work !!!!

conboy

Post by conboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:20 pm

This is really getting strange --
There is something wrong with the 10 Anzio Breakout scenario. I'm going back reloading the scenarios into the Settings/Branch map and when I get to 10 Anzio Breakou, it shows up without out the Tab Labels and without the Minor Victory and Major Victory Tabs.

I'll see if I can find the issue with 10 Anzio Breakout in the scenario editor and reload it. I'll let y'all know if that's the problem.

conboy

gunny

Post by gunny » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:23 pm

Fantastic you isolated the problem !!! Now you can move forward continue the attack on the beachhead dominate the enemy take prisoners and bask in the glow of your endeavors ...

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:29 pm

conboy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:20 pm
This is really getting strange --
There is something wrong with the 10 Anzio Breakout scenario. I'm going back reloading the scenarios into the Settings/Branch map and when I get to 10 Anzio Breakou, it shows up without out the Tab Labels and without the Minor Victory and Major Victory Tabs.

I'll see if I can find the issue with 10 Anzio Breakout in the scenario editor and reload it. I'll let y'all know if that's the problem.

conboy
I've seen this as well when I used an old official campaign as a template. There's some bug(s) hidden in those early campaigns.
Last time with BrucErik's upcoming Winter War campaign. There were no issues with the scenarios.
Now I always start a new campaign from scratch...

conboy

Re: Campaign Branch Settings Problem -- Ouch! ALL TAKE NOTE

Post by conboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:47 pm

All,

I think the problem was due to a typo in the scenario list!

Every problem with the campaign editor I have had are due to typos and not having the Alliances Settings squared away.

So, new guys to scenario and campaign design, if you have a problem with the campaign editor, make sure that ALL your entries are correctly typed in and check and recheck the alliances settings!

This is weird because the campaign worked yesterday with the undetected typo, but when I worked with it today, it went to crap.

Typos will mess with the Branch Settings in mysterious ways (e.g., Branch Settings Tab Labels not showing up and the minor/major victory tabs disappearing).

Alliance Setting errors will prevent your scenario from loading in the Campaign mode.

c'est la vie, c'est la guerre...

conboy

conboy

Post by conboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:37 pm

The typo thing was only wishful thinking.

The problem started yesterday, I think, when the Forces Panel came up all gray in campaign play mode. Nothing has saved correctly or worked correctly since then.

I also noticed in a scenario in Editor Mode that the pop-ups were opening showing pictures - but not the pictures assigned to them. Pop-ups aren't supposed to have the pictures showing in Editor Mode. This was the scenario wherein all the problems with the campaign started when I tried to integrate it into the Campaign.

Last summer I spent a couple of weeks troubleshooting this Campaign, and ended up rebuilding it. I don't know if the NEW problem lies within one of the later scenarios. I guess I'll try to reload the whole thing but that malfunction in the Scenario Editor Mode really scares me - I wonder if it's related to the grayed out Forces Panel (I mean totally gray - no boxes for units or anything - just solid gray vertical panels.

wish me luck - I'll report back if I find the real error.

thanks -
conboy

gunny

Post by gunny » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:32 pm

WAIT !! I just thought of something that occurs - Ok when I am using the Editor and do something and then close it completely and then for example delete a scenario that I was just working on - for example. I work on scenario A then I close the editor they I back up the scenario to someplace and then I insert it into the campaign folder under scenarios THEN I delete it out of the scenarios folder that it is in - wherein - I can get to it via the editor sometimes windows will not allow me to delete it saying it is still open EVEN Though I have completely closed the editor. Ok the point is this error message went away when I rebooted the computer. So I think you should at least consider rebooting EVERY stinking time you perhaps are done with the editor for sure each time you have edited a scenario and then maybe copied it to the Campaign scenarios folder - play tested it then gotten out of all of this and then re open the editor their may need to be a reboot. Fact is at least on my computer the file stays "open" sometimes even though the editor is completely closed - sometimes so I am not sure when but you should probably consider doing some reboots at times

conboy

Post by conboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 pm

Thanks Gunny.

It crashed again after I completely redid the whole campaign, saved it. Then forgot that I hadn't added the Canadians in, did so, now it won't save.

Don't know about this now. Losing patience. But that's a personal problem...

conboy

gunny

Post by gunny » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:30 am

conboy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 pm
Thanks Gunny.

It crashed again after I completely redid the whole campaign, saved it. Then forgot that I hadn't added the Canadians in, did so, now it won't save.

Don't know about this now. Losing patience. But that's a personal problem...

conboy
What a pisser !!! AAAHHHHH

conboy

Post by conboy » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:11 pm

I was able to put the campaign back together. For future reference to other would-be designers:

1) If your campaign crashes check the following
a)Won't save after a minor change - there might be a serious problem somewhere such as memory conflict, corrupted file, etc.
b)Won't load next scenario - most often, this is due to a faction not being properly registered in the Alliance Settings; or the offending scenario is improperly named in the Branch settings.
c) Opens with mini-map - this could be a serious problem or it could be the scenario is improperly named in the Branch settings
d) Giant units start appearing - this is a harbinger of very, very bad things to come

2) I was able to recover after several failed re-tries to fix the campaign by running the system optimizer to clear cache, re-installing OoB (after backing up files), deleting the old campaign (ouch!) starting a new campaign and CAREFULLY reloading all the Alliance and Branch settings. I had the autosave function set on every turn and it might have jammed up my memory.

so be it,

conboy

gunny

Post by gunny » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:00 pm

conboy wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:11 pm
I was able to put the campaign back together. For future reference to other would-be designers:

1) If your campaign crashes check the following
a)Won't save after a minor change - there might be a serious problem somewhere such as memory conflict, corrupted file, etc.
b)Won't load next scenario - most often, this is due to a faction not being properly registered in the Alliance Settings; or the offending scenario is improperly named in the Branch settings.
c) Opens with mini-map - this could be a serious problem or it could be the scenario is improperly named in the Branch settings
d) Giant units start appearing - this is a harbinger of very, very bad things to come

2) I was able to recover after several failed re-tries to fix the campaign by running the system optimizer to clear cache, re-installing OoB (after backing up files), deleting the old campaign (ouch!) starting a new campaign and CAREFULLY reloading all the Alliance and Branch settings. I had the autosave function set on every turn and it might have jammed up my memory.

so be it,

conboy
So glad ya fixed it and thanks for the pointers ..

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”