Is experience affected when a unit is upgraded?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

jaywalker32
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Is experience affected when a unit is upgraded?

Post by jaywalker32 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Just a quick question that I hope someone can answer. When a unit is upgraded during a campaign does it suffer any reduction in the experience it has accumulated up to that point in time? If so, by how much? TIA

jaywalker32

gunny
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Is experience affected when a unit is upgraded?

Post by gunny » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:24 pm

When you reform a unit I think all experience is lost but you can get one star of experience in the event you have researched this but since has NOTHING to do with you question let me check something out brb ..

Ok I would say NOT it does not unlike Panzer Corps which really peeved me it did stand by for pics ...Panzer Corps you can have a tank with 2 overstrenght you upgrade it and WHAM you loose the overstrength which is very much a hassle as you have to let your unit run around with only 10 strength or wait until it gets knocked down to 10 strength before you ungraded it AND be in a city this is another reason why OOB is so much better than Panzer Corps but enough about Panzer Corps

Ok here is a GREAT example

Below is my infantry unit a 1942 with two stars .. and I upgrade it to a 1943 Unit it MAINTAINS ITS EXPERIENCE !!!
us inf 42.png
us inf 42.png (68.94 KiB) Viewed 148 times
NOTICE THE 4169 exp number

now notice it is now 1943 AND maintains its experience ...
us inf 43.png
us inf 43.png (67.51 KiB) Viewed 146 times
HOPEFULLY THIS IS THE WAY IT WORKS FOR ALL UNITS ...

gunny

Post by gunny » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:41 pm

Ok now lets examine upgrades in different types of infantry within the same class .. infantry class ..

ok in the pic below I upgraded it not to just an infantry 42 to an infantry 43 but also to a Heavy Infantry which is a different type of 42\43 infantry and WHAM !!! it maintains its experience
hvyinf.png
hvyinf.png (72.55 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Furthermore, I also downgraded this unit so to speak to a seabee unit thing and again (pic not shown) it maintained its experience so I am assuming this applies to all types of units tanks etc.
But for sure I would say it definitely applies to infantry ...

If you need any more answers we are here 24\7 WAITING !!! for your questions ... Frankly it is shocking !!! that how to upgrade is NOT to the best of my knowledge mentioned in the Manual other than stating where the upgrade button is; however, most any gamer, computer person, etc. could figure out how to upgrade but what happens should may have been mentioned and it probably was I just missed it, about what happens or does not happen when an upgrade occurs. Again, as upgrading is different that Panzer Corps this is great the only thing being the unit must not have MOVED and cannot be next to an enemy UNIT AND cannot be next to mines ... even I think if they are your own mines .. maybe I should play test if the unit is weakened or not ...

Ok a unit that is weakened and cut off from supply cannot be upgraded .. makes sense a unit weakened but in supply and not next to blah blah blah CAN be upgraded and again will NOT loose experience .... (pic not shown)
cutoff1.png
cutoff1.png (124.77 KiB) Viewed 134 times

jaywalker32

Post by jaywalker32 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:32 am

Thanks very much for your replies, gunny. Very helpful indeed.

gunny

Post by gunny » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:42 am

Glad to help hovering the mouse over the stars shows experience number this is cool when you check it out on an arty unit and see it at one number bombard something and it goes up some even if the bombardment does not weaken the unit whoo hooo

Return to “Order of Battle Series”