The PzC 2 storm is finally here.

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: The PzC 2 storm is finally here.

Post by CoolDTA » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:31 am

kondi754 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:43 pm
When I'll finally make my historical Mod for OoB, I'll announce him this way :lol: "mindblowing historical accuracy" :lol: :wink:
For your mod the statement will be true. :)
GabeKnight wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:50 am
terminator wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:40 am
In Panzer Corps 2, the riders hold their guns correctly and manage to shoot with their guns:
Fully agree with you here. It's about time that this "shameful cavalry animation" chapter's being closed in OoB... :roll:
But Gabe, it is such a new bug, is it not? :|

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:06 pm

I'm not beating a dead horse here because these are depictions of live ones! But again, the visceral reactions that I have, just looking at these snips from PzC 2:

Cavalry(1).jpg
Cavalry(1).jpg (771.42 KiB) Viewed 693 times
Cavalry(2).jpg
Cavalry(2).jpg (744.44 KiB) Viewed 693 times

Let me see if I can categorize them. Here is what I see:
1) The open terrain looks like my living room carpet, threadbare in spots (I exaggerate; about my carpet, that is).
2) Say those trees are 100 feet tall in real life. In unreal life, would you say the soldiers are 1,000 feet tall?
3) Their shadows are a quarter of a mile long, in that case.
4) The soldiers are shooting on a downward angle at the tank, like they were a-huntin' rabbits.
5) The image doesn't do that bright white circle justice; in the game, it rotates IIRC.
6) Also missing are the white polka dots which indicate where these horsies can go after their masters are done a-huntin'.
7) What is that grey stripe? Is that the outline of a village or is it a road? Whatever it is, it is more perfect than man usually accomplishes in his constructions.

Yes, yes, YES, OOB has all of these types of visual anomalies. Yet, in OOB, they seem to blend in better, be better proportioned, just plain work better.

If you can see past these differences, enjoy PzC 2 and God bless you. I cannot.

Why, then, do I keep beating on a live horse? Not to convince myself. Perhaps to justify the amount of time I spend with OOB; that is a good one. Perhaps also that I have developed a weariness of hearing for years about how PzC is the "King of WWII simulation games." Maybe so, if you can get past the abstract art.
- Bru

TJD
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by TJD » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:49 pm

bru888 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:06 pm

1) The open terrain looks like my living room carpet, threadbare in spots (I exaggerate; about my carpet, that is).
2) Say those trees are 100 feet tall in real life. In unreal life, would you say the soldiers are 1,000 feet tall?
4) The soldiers are shooting on a downward angle at the tank, like they were a-huntin' rabbits.
5) The image doesn't do that bright white circle justice; in the game, it rotates IIRC.
6) Also missing are the white polka dots which indicate where these horsies can go after their masters are done a-huntin'.
7) What is that grey stripe? Is that the outline of a village or is it a road? Whatever it is, it is more perfect than man usually accomplishes in his constructions.

Yes, yes, YES, OOB has all of these types of visual anomalies. Yet, in OOB, they seem to blend in better, be better proportioned, just plain work better.

Why, then, do I keep beating on a live horse? Not to convince myself. Perhaps to justify the amount of time I spend with OOB; that is a good one. Perhaps also that I have developed a weariness of hearing for years about how PzC is the "King of WWII simulation games." Maybe so, if you can get past the abstract art.
Your comments are really funny and right on the money. I tried to force an interest in PC2 but the first time I saw a vid it featured horses and the shimmering shine on their asses put an end to that. I think the game looks terrible, especially the landscape, and though they are promising a fix I think their design mistake is fundamental.

GabeKnight
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by GabeKnight » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:33 pm

CoolDTA wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:31 am
GabeKnight wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:50 am
Fully agree with you here. It's about time that this "shameful cavalry animation" chapter's being closed in OoB... :roll:
But Gabe, it is such a new bug, is it not? :|
Tell me about it... the "cavalry pick up your rifles" bug...mentioned many times over the past years...

But - partly, to a degree - I get it. I mean, there are like a handful of nations with cavalry units... Polish, Mongol, Soviet, Hungary, and one or two more, I believe. Used as fast cannon fodder mostly. Not high on any priority list. And it's not the models, but the model animation that has to be fixed, this may be another challenge/reason. I don't know... :?

Zekedia222
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Zekedia222 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:57 pm

Those Mongols seem confused where their guns went.
Winchester: Klinger, you're dumber than you look, and THAT boggles the MIND.
A great quote from one of my favorite TV shows, M*A*S*H

terminator
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by terminator » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:40 am

Missile in Panzer Corps 2 :

The missile (V1 & V2) are present in Panzercorps 2. Not quite to the point, still developing, that is why I only show one image :

Missile(1).jpg
Missile(1).jpg (541.69 KiB) Viewed 616 times

In OoB WWII, the missile development seems to have remained at the state of project, abandoned ? :(

Missile(2).jpg
Missile(2).jpg (197.21 KiB) Viewed 616 times

stan23
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by stan23 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:07 pm

Sorry to say it, but to me PC2 is UGLY! Hard pass on buying it.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:07 pm

stan23 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:07 pm
Sorry to say it, but to me PC2 is UGLY! Hard pass on buying it.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. It stops me short, sorry to say. Some people are textile; some are visual. I guess I am definitely in the latter group.
- Bru

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by kondi754 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:01 pm

I have another problem, despite the fact that I have a lot of time now (covid), it pushes me away from games, I don't want to play anything for some time
has anyone ever had such a thing?

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:33 pm

kondi754 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:01 pm
I have another problem, despite the fact that I have a lot of time now (covid), it pushes me away from games, I don't want to play anything for some time
has anyone ever had such a thing?
Wow, sorry to hear this, kondi. Sure, if you are not feeling well, especially with something that serious, you don't want to play anything. All you want to do is rest which is the best thing. Plan your next mod in your mind as you recuperate. May your return to good health be swift.
- Bru

kondi754

Post by kondi754 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:07 pm

Thanks Bru, physically I'm going through it well, but maybe the psyche makes his work

terminator
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by terminator » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:20 am

Next storm Strategic Mind: Blitzkrieg ?

bcc0eb06751a176470b6795a487553e211b5c3e9.jpg
bcc0eb06751a176470b6795a487553e211b5c3e9.jpg (244.14 KiB) Viewed 447 times

srd5090
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by srd5090 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:54 am

bru888 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:06 pm
I'm not beating a dead horse here because these are depictions of live ones! But again, the visceral reactions that I have, just looking at these snips from PzC 2:

I've compared both games on my modern laptop and this comment I absolutely bizarre to me.

I get there is subjectivity to this sort of thing but I really feel like some folks here are having their opinions colored by their loyalty to a competing game.

OOB is just as much an illustration of abstract art. I say this looking at my planes being much too large to fit in the hangar's shown in the airfield hexes.

The style of terrain is certainly different between the two games. Comparing screenshots I took in-game, the terrain of PzC2 looks more 'natural' from a bird's eye view than OOB's.

The great thing is that both games are cool and have their own distinctions. OOB covers the Pacific which is its own claim to fame when compared to PzC2.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:43 am

It's amazing how subjective such things can be. Truly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle Series”