Dijon - Any Suggestions?

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

kverdon
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:38 am

Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by kverdon » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:18 am

Been stymied at Dijon. No matter what I do, 7 cities seems impossible in 20 turns. I'm always a "City too Far". Best I've done is 6 of 7. This seems to need at least 4 to 5 more turns. Anyone beat this? What did you do?

MickMannock
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:09 am

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by MickMannock » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:37 am

kverdon wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:18 am
Been stymied at Dijon. No matter what I do, 7 cities seems impossible in 20 turns. I'm always a "City too Far". Best I've done is 6 of 7. This seems to need at least 4 to 5 more turns. Anyone beat this? What did you do?
Hard to say as we know nothing about your playstyle. Maybe you're making some obvious mistakes but hard to tell from your post?

I agree though, it's quite difficult compared to the France 1940 scenarios in PC1, but quite managable in the end.

Get the panzers moving and encircle. Let the infantry and arty take care of the city hexes. Make sure you have air superiority.

Hexaboo
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:08 am

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by Hexaboo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:14 am

I've just finished it in 15 (on General), so it's very doable. :D As MickMannock has said, it's difficult to judge what you're doing wrong without more information — could you post a screenshot or two?

My guess without seeing anything is that you might be spending too much time around Reims (that area should be cleared by the end of turn 3), or not having enough focus on mobile troops (I have 8 tank units — Pz3 are better for France, and get one StuG, they're worth it).

IMO, Verdun and Metz are the most annoying objectives on this map, you can't just roll around them in your tanks, and they need a dedicated infantry-based group to take.

kverdon
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:38 am

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by kverdon » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:24 pm

Thanks, you may have nailed it as I’m not clear of Reims until turn 4. My core consists of:
4x Pioneer
2x BrukenPioneer
4x Pzkw 3F
2x Pzkw 4D
2x PanzerJager 1
1 x SDKFZ 7 / Flack 38
1 x SDKFZ 222 Recon
1 x 105mm Arty
1x150mm Arty
1x Sturmpanzer Arty
3x Me-109E
1x Ju87B

The idea was to strike South from Reims and then head one group East over the River to Verdun and one West. Just not enough turns to get that done.

MickMannock
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:09 am

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by MickMannock » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:56 pm

kverdon wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:24 pm
Thanks, you may have nailed it as I’m not clear of Reims until turn 4. My core consists of:
4x Pioneer
2x BrukenPioneer
4x Pzkw 3F
2x Pzkw 4D
2x PanzerJager 1
1 x SDKFZ 7 / Flack 38
1 x SDKFZ 222 Recon
1 x 105mm Arty
1x150mm Arty
1x Sturmpanzer Arty
3x Me-109E
1x Ju87B

The idea was to strike South from Reims and then head one group East over the River to Verdun and one West. Just not enough turns to get that done.
I'd lose 2 pioneer's, 1 brücken and both panzer jägers and get some regular infantry, one more recon unit + a Bf110, maybe even two if you can afford it. It depends a bit how you have overstrengthen your units.

Hexaboo
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:08 am

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by Hexaboo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:30 pm

I kind of agree with MickMannock in terms of pioneers, Panzerjägers and Bf110s (they are really nice and versatile now, I much prefer them to Ju87's). I'd say your arty might need beefing up.

Anyway, here's my OOB (I have the Panzer General trait, and no overstrength FYI):

3x Wehrmacht Inf
2x Pioneers
1x Bridge engineers (I have the Blitzkrieg trait, if you don't, you might need two)
8x PzIIIF (PzIVD is too infantry-oriented and vulnerable at this point)
1x SdKfz 232
3x 105 mm arty
1x 150 mm arty (can easily be all-105 mm, if you're short on core slots)
1x StuGIII
2x Bf109
3x Bf110

Your plan sounds alright, in my playthroughs, I directed the southern advance to the east of the Marne, taking Chaumont and turning west to Troyes.

kverdon
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:38 am

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by kverdon » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:38 pm

Thanks Guys,

I make a few changes that worked. Got it done in 17.

3x Pioneer
1x Reg Inf
1x BrukenPioneer
4x Panzer 3f
2x Panzer 4d (I may revert these to 3f's. I did this out of the old PC1 idea that Mk 3s upgraded cheaply to Panthers and Mk 4s to Tigers so you wanted a mix of both)
1x PanzerJager
1x Sturmpanzer Art
1x Stug
2x 150mm Arty
1x Sdkfz 222
3x Me-109
2x Ju-87B

I may take the advice and tone down the number of Pioneers. This group is headed to North Africa so probably won't need the BrukenPIoneer :-) I'll swap out one the Stukas for a Me-110 and see how it goes.

MickMannock
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:09 am

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by MickMannock » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:03 am

kverdon wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:38 pm
Thanks Guys,

I make a few changes that worked. Got it done in 17.

3x Pioneer
1x Reg Inf
1x BrukenPioneer
4x Panzer 3f
2x Panzer 4d (I may revert these to 3f's. I did this out of the old PC1 idea that Mk 3s upgraded cheaply to Panthers and Mk 4s to Tigers so you wanted a mix of both)
1x PanzerJager
1x Sturmpanzer Art
1x Stug
2x 150mm Arty
1x Sdkfz 222
3x Me-109
2x Ju-87B

I may take the advice and tone down the number of Pioneers. This group is headed to North Africa so probably won't need the BrukenPIoneer :-) I'll swap out one the Stukas for a Me-110 and see how it goes.
Looking much better. And as you say, bringing along the Bf 110 might be worthwhile.

Only other suggestion I have is to bring along another recon car. They are really good. And as you are heading to North Africa, I think they will be even more useful there in open landscape maneuver warfare.

Hexaboo
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:08 am

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by Hexaboo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:27 am

Congrats! :)

Do try Bf110 — look at it this way: it costs 2 core slots instead of 3 (like normal fighters or Ju87), while being 2/3 of a proper fighter AND 2/3 of a good tactical bomber. It can be a core slot saver with little loss of function (really hoping late-war fighter-bombers are at least just as good).

WulFgaR77
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:52 am

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by WulFgaR77 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:40 am

kverdon wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:38 pm
Thanks Guys,

I make a few changes that worked. Got it done in 17.

3x Pioneer
1x Reg Inf
1x BrukenPioneer
4x Panzer 3f
2x Panzer 4d (I may revert these to 3f's. I did this out of the old PC1 idea that Mk 3s upgraded cheaply to Panthers and Mk 4s to Tigers so you wanted a mix of both)
1x PanzerJager
1x Sturmpanzer Art
1x Stug
2x 150mm Arty
1x Sdkfz 222
3x Me-109
2x Ju-87B

I may take the advice and tone down the number of Pioneers. This group is headed to North Africa so probably won't need the BrukenPIoneer :-) I'll swap out one the Stukas for a Me-110 and see how it goes.
Bring more anti-tanks to Africa front. It will help you to protect yout "weak" armors against britain nasty hordes of tanks.

Owi
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by Owi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:42 pm

Image

Jep Dijon is very tricky. Had to play it 4 times on difficult 4. 3 Times ended up with a Recon sits 10/10 entrenchment on the last victory hex .. not killed it totaly surrounded by my army leaving him with 1 HP :) .. men i tried 3 reloads but no luck on the rolls. Atleast i finished it today.

How you do it. Focus your main army on the left side from start. Usualy a good pionier goes over the river attacking that city far left. Sure suppress with bombers and artillery. Becarefull in the middle(where the recon is) play defensive until you see a gap to start attacking. Dont use bombers in the middle until you killed the AA. Focus airunits supporting left and right.

Getting the left side is pretty easy. After that you can move more troops over that side.

While doing that, use 1 Paratrooper(turn 2-3) move to that first dirt airfield(left side)it is not defended but needs reinforcment you should get after getting over the left side.

Also use 1 arty 1 pioneer and 1 other Inf to get to the first stronghold bunker on the right. Do it with caution but after killing that bunker you can start moving further. YOu only need 1 arty maybe 2-3 Inf to get that far right hex near the defensivelines.

After having the first Hex focus on rushing / encirclment to get quick down dijon. do not forget you have to capture all hexes for victory.

Snake97644
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:44 am

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by Snake97644 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:58 pm

Hexaboo wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:27 am
Congrats! :)

Do try Bf110 — look at it this way: it costs 2 core slots instead of 3 (like normal fighters or Ju87), while being 2/3 of a proper fighter AND 2/3 of a good tactical bomber. It can be a core slot saver with little loss of function (really hoping late-war fighter-bombers are at least just as good).
Agree, the Bf 110 is great in this game, good versatility for cost

Snake97644
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:44 am

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by Snake97644 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:01 am

WulFgaR77 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:40 am
kverdon wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:38 pm
Thanks Guys,

I make a few changes that worked. Got it done in 17.

3x Pioneer
1x Reg Inf
1x BrukenPioneer
4x Panzer 3f
2x Panzer 4d (I may revert these to 3f's. I did this out of the old PC1 idea that Mk 3s upgraded cheaply to Panthers and Mk 4s to Tigers so you wanted a mix of both)
1x PanzerJager
1x Sturmpanzer Art
1x Stug
2x 150mm Arty
1x Sdkfz 222
3x Me-109
2x Ju-87B

I may take the advice and tone down the number of Pioneers. This group is headed to North Africa so probably won't need the BrukenPIoneer :-) I'll swap out one the Stukas for a Me-110 and see how it goes.
Bring more anti-tanks to Africa front. It will help you to protect yout "weak" armors against britain nasty hordes of tanks.
The 88 worked well for me in North Africa, and has the added AA benefit as well.

kverdon
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:38 am

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by kverdon » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:20 am

I picked up an 88 for North Afrika (I mean how can you think of North Africa with an 88? :D ). Darn Handy to make short work of Matildas!

Owi
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by Owi » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:28 pm

kverdon wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:20 am
I picked up an 88 for North Afrika (I mean how can you think of North Africa with an 88? :D ). Darn Handy to make short work of Matildas!
got 3 allready.. so usefull. Im on mission after crusade. Splitfires are pain you need 88s.

janscas
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by janscas » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:34 am

kverdon wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:24 pm
Thanks, you may have nailed it as I’m not clear of Reims until turn 4. My core consists of:
4x Pioneer
2x BrukenPioneer
4x Pzkw 3F
2x Pzkw 4D
2x PanzerJager 1
1 x SDKFZ 7 / Flack 38
1 x SDKFZ 222 Recon
1 x 105mm Arty
1x150mm Arty
1x Sturmpanzer Arty
3x Me-109E
1x Ju87B

The idea was to strike South from Reims and then head one group East over the River to Verdun and one West. Just not enough turns to get that done.
No need for 2x BuckenPionner
Also 2x PanzerJager is completely unneeded so early. If you feel you need some antitank better change 2x PanzerJager for a little Pak.

More or less this is my unit list on Dijon (completed it with no problems at all):

1x Pionner
2x Regular Infantry
1x Granadier Infantry
1x Cavalry
3x Panzer III F
2x Panzer IV
1x Recon
1x Little Pak antitank
2x 150 mm Arty
1x 210 mm Arty
1x StuG IIIB
2x Me-109
1x Ju87B
1x Bf110
1x Strat Bomber Ju88`
1x Fieseler Storch (Recon Plane)


Anti tank guns are much more useful in PzC2 and no one seems to realise that

pewp3w
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by pewp3w » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:28 pm

janscas wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:34 am
Anti tank guns are much more useful in PzC2 and no one seems to realise that
Yeah, but just get 88s, they are much better.


On topic of the BF110. Yeah, they are quite good early on, but they quickly lose effectiveness. In 1942 they are very weak already.

nexusno2000
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther
Posts: 1091
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by nexusno2000 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:38 pm

pewp3w wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:28 pm
janscas wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:34 am
Anti tank guns are much more useful in PzC2 and no one seems to realise that
Yeah, but just get 88s, they are much better.


On topic of the BF110. Yeah, they are quite good early on, but they quickly lose effectiveness. In 1942 they are very weak already.
Yeah. Once enemy fighters go up a tier (when you get Fw190), Bfs ain't so good anymore.
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001

MickMannock
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:09 am

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by MickMannock » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:43 am

nexusno2000 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:38 pm
pewp3w wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:28 pm
janscas wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:34 am
Anti tank guns are much more useful in PzC2 and no one seems to realise that
Yeah, but just get 88s, they are much better.


On topic of the BF110. Yeah, they are quite good early on, but they quickly lose effectiveness. In 1942 they are very weak already.
Yeah. Once enemy fighters go up a tier (when you get Fw190), Bfs ain't so good anymore.
But converting the 110's till FW190F mitigates it a bit I think. But it will cost you some core slots for sure.

nexusno2000
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther
Posts: 1091
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: Dijon - Any Suggestions?

Post by nexusno2000 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:38 pm

MickMannock wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:43 am
nexusno2000 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:38 pm
pewp3w wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:28 pm

Yeah, but just get 88s, they are much better.


On topic of the BF110. Yeah, they are quite good early on, but they quickly lose effectiveness. In 1942 they are very weak already.
Yeah. Once enemy fighters go up a tier (when you get Fw190), Bfs ain't so good anymore.
But converting the 110's till FW190F mitigates it a bit I think. But it will cost you some core slots for sure.
Of course. You you upgrade, but then they are not Bf110s :D
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001

Post Reply

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”