Minerva Battlestar Survivability

The Cylons have rebelled. The alliance of the Twelve Colonies falters. Take control of the Colonial Fleet and save humanity from an endless war.
iE8Flak4Breakfast
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Minerva Battlestar Survivability

Post by iE8Flak4Breakfast » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:33 pm

Suggestion buff the Minerva armour to a more reasonable 80 points front & side, 70 top & bottom, rear 60 (as Artemis).

I've been enjoying a 2 Jupiter MK I and 2 Minerva setup, lots of fun in campaign. Though overall it has been commented by a lot of people just how fragile the Minerva is, this resulting from a combination of a size 4 hull, so little to no "evasion" against incoming turret fire, plus the thin armour of 60 (and 45 on that sizeable target of a rear yikes!). Where as the Artemis sits at 80 armour, and being a size 3 hull can dodge torpedoes and is more difficult to hit with various turret sizes, and therefore has significantly more survivability than the Minerva. Comparing to other colonial ships the adamant and defender are primarily 60 armour and 750 fleets points each, and the heracles is 120 front, 60 side armour 1250 fleets points, the Minerva is sitting at 1850 FP and 60 armour. The Minerva also has particularly large front and rear armour surface areas.

Given the size 4 hull and fleet point position a +20 armour to 80 would add moderately to the survivability to make the Minerva a more viable option in both multiplayer and in more challenging campaign difficulties (fleet admiral and anabasis I'm looking at you). It would still be very noticeably less survivable than an Artemis due to the hull size difference.

PS / conjecture-
If as many hope at some point a smaller/ similar sized battlestar to the Artemis is introduced (Valkyrie precursor), providing the Minerva 80 rather than 60 armour would mean it would not be over shadowed by a battlestar costing the same or less FP than an Artemis but with I would assume around 60 armour (given adamant and defender are 60 armour and are 750FP).

Let's see the goddess of wisdom and warfare have the wisdom of sufficient armour to allow the guns of warfare she carries to sing for longer. So Say Me All, and hopefully So Say We all!!
Last edited by iE8Flak4Breakfast on Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Williams
Battlestar Vanguard
BSG-44

iE8Flak4Breakfast

Re: Minerva Battlestar Armour

Post by iE8Flak4Breakfast » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:45 pm

From discussion on the BSG discord another way to go rather than an armour buff could be to move the Minerva to a size 3 hull and to look at the relative size of the armour facings, increasing the surface area of the side armour (decreasing front and rear surface areas), so that the front and rear aren't hit a lot by "missed" shots to the side etc. If the Minerva's speed was to match the Artemis's it would be more able to maintain the gap to oncoming enemy ships, and to use its range advantage.
Lt. Williams
Battlestar Vanguard
BSG-44

Return to “Battlestar Galactica Deadlock”