The Motherland calls! Order of Battle: Red Steel is out!

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

The Motherland calls! Order of Battle: Red Steel is out!

Post by AlbertoC » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:20 pm

Set between January 1942 and April 1943, Order of Battle: Red Steel covers the battles of the Soviet Union at the most crucial moment of World War II, and it is out now on PC and Mac.

After slowing down Operation Barbarossa, the Red Army has launched a series of counter-offensives during the winter. Losses in terms of men and materials are horrendous on both sides. German high command has a new, ambitious plan to renew its offensive in the coming spring. Can the Red Army stop the Wehrmacht and save the Motherland?

Red Steel is Order of Battle’s second DLC, focusing on the German invasion of Russia. After the initial German success seen in the Red Star DLC, it’s now time for the counterattack.

You can now purchase OT-34 flame tanks, T-70 light and KV-1 m1942 heavy tanks, improved 45mm 1942 AT guns, and the new ZiS-3 field gun which can also be used in an AT role. In the air, you’ll need the improved models of aircraft like Yak-9D and La-5F fighters, or Il-2M or Pe-2FT tactical bombers to keep up with the Luftwaffe.

But the enemy is also fielding brand new equipment: the Germans have new and improved Panzer 38 G, Panzer IV G, and Bf-110 G vehicles. Their Romanian allies now deploy R-2 tanks and IAR-80 fighters, whilst the Hungarians are using a derivative of the Italian Reggiane 2000 fighter under the name MAVAG Heya, plus more equipment from Germany.

Don't forget that you're still in time to take advantage of the Order of Battle sale, lasting until Monday! You can see all the offers here.

Mascarenhas
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: The Motherland calls! Order of Battle: Red Steel is out!

Post by Mascarenhas » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:54 pm

I bought it, of course, but I am quite unimpressed. Did not notice much improvement except, perhaps, for a few new units. Game still freezing unexpectedly, AI taking a long time "thinking" its moves; old problems in a new battlefield. I was really excited with this DLC, but now I am frustrated.

rchev
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by rchev » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:23 pm

I am a Mac person--and as always, getting the DLC installed is a nightmare. The latest download is for the Parallels desktop--the "for Mac users" txt that came along was uninformative. I know there is a way to jigbger this install-but it's been so long between drops that I forgot how I kludged the last one. Any suggestions...I know it can be done. Somehow.

PWRS
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by PWRS » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:50 am

I'm having the same issue, I can't properly download the new 8.4.1 content or version of the game. When opening the dmg file (mac) it goes half way and stops without finishing opening it. I have re-downloaded multiple times, with the same error. Do you have a fix?

rchev

Post by rchev » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:42 am

I was able to back-door install the DLC on Steam (which I hate)...and, of course, it crashed on the third scenario, turn 5 or 6. "Thinks," then stalls. No workaround I can determine.

How they managed to screw up a reasonably working game engine is a real accomplishment--software probably rushed to get sales from people bored by the quarantine. Don't buy this DLC!

JosephM
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by JosephM » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:39 pm

Hello Rchev,

Sorry, but note your issue with the install is not a bug or an issue we can fix at all, but instead a lack of understanding. The .exe files are for PC installs only, and you should not be using these on Mac. Instead Mac users need to update their game then unlock the campaign by entering their serial on the Campaign Map. However from your posts I'd guess you are running the OoB Base Game on Steam? If so then note that you cannot, on either PC or Mac, use the standalone installs to install over Steam as the two don't read from each other, and instead you have to redeem your free Steam key to then unlock the DLC over the Steam version of the base game. If the key is already in the alpha-numeric format XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX then this will work in Steam without issue. If it is not in this format then the below forum post explains how to redeem Steam keys for the games:
https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 58&t=93585

Then for the stall issue, are you logged in to the Mac as an Administrator?

PWRS, have you disabled Gatekeeper before trying to mount the DMG? You can do this by ctrl-clicking on the DMG

Return to “News & Announcements”