rs2excelsior's Lessons Learned & Tactical Musings

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
rs2excelsior
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: rs2excelsior's Lessons Learned & Tactical Musings

Post by rs2excelsior » Fri May 22, 2020 5:29 pm

SLancaster wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:46 am
That makes sense. I don't play with Warbands that much.

You are playing baldrick in Classical so that game will go on YouTube. Would be nice to get your thoughts on it and then we can see you in action!
You mean I'm going to be youtube famous? :D I'll be sure to make some notes on that match, then. Might have to find the video, it'd be interesting to see the match from the other side.
Swuul wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:16 pm
Right, but also remember Close Order Warbands don't get the +1 to CT rolls other heavy foot gets. Ie close order warbands have the downside of being heavy foot (malus in rough terrain) but don't get the bonus (they don't get the +1 to Cohesion Test rolls other heavy foot (who are of at least Average quality) get).

In my opinion, there is no point in taking close order warbands over veteran samnites unless points cost is an issue. And if points cost is an issue, then why not take etruscan imitation legionares as allies instead? Etruscan imitation legions are cheaper than close order Warbands, they get the +1 to CT, and they don't pursue (pursuit might of course be good, but it might also be not so very good if they rush to their death).
Hm, that is a good point. I didn't remember that about warbands, though now that you mention it it sounds familiar. There's still time for me to make some edits - I'll take a look at the different allies and may swap them out. Pursuits can be helpful, but in my (limited) experience with infantry pursuers they seem less effective than cavalry pursuits - I didn't mention it, but in my test game, I managed to break a Roman unit and save the fragmented warband it was in combat with, only for said warband to pursue and stop with its flank directly in front of a veteran Roman cohort... they did not survive the next turn, needless to say.

SLancaster
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by SLancaster » Fri May 22, 2020 9:00 pm

Richard Yorke's channel (aka baldrick):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYxVSNuAHDA

SnuggleBunnies
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Fri May 22, 2020 10:45 pm

Heavy Warbands don't get the +1 for heavy foot, but they also don't get the -1 for Medium in the Open. So they are in fact better in the open than loose warbands.

rs2excelsior

Post by rs2excelsior » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:40 am

Alright, here's the first match I played that's up on Richard Yorke's channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCJ5Whwt1Ps

It was a Biblical match, my Carthaginians with Greek allies against his Kyrenean Greeks. My deployment was meant to take advantage of the rough ground and the river which divided the battlefield. My left was anchored on the river, the left wing of the army was mixed medium and heavy foot which would fight in the scattered patches of rough ground, and my right wing was more heavy foot as the terrain became more open. I put heavy chariots on the far right to give that side some offensive punch, and backed them up with some cavalry, but overall my infantry was the main focus. The Kyrenean deployment did catch me off-guard (although based on the list it really shouldn't have as much as it did, especially as he used something similar against me in an earlier season!) - they formed a massed block off to my right where the terrain was more open, with a large column of heavy chariots on their left. I marched parallel to my initial line with the right wing to confront the head of his column while the left wing advanced at the oblique through the rough terrain. My hope was that my cavalry and chariots - heavily outnumbered by the Kyrenian chariots - could at least tie up the enemy horse for a bit, while I tried to crack the front right corner of the enemy "box" of hoplites.

Things went more or less to plan. My line ended up forming a right angle around his formation. My left wing did engage right on the edge of the rough terrain, where the medium infantry had some shelter from the enemy hoplites. They managed to force a few flank charges, although the dense Kyrenean formation meant they had reserve units to push into gaps. My right did significantly less well, attacking uphill against at least equivalent infantry. My cav and chariots did tie up the enemy for a bit, but they collapsed sooner than I'd have liked. In the center my spears managed to flank an enemy veteran hoplite and drop it to fragmented, but those guys put up an absolutely heroic defense - surviving a couple of turns melee outnumbered and fragged before rallying back to disrupted. Eventually they did break, and my left wing managed to drive through the enemy right, but it was too late - the enemy cav and chariots had rolled up my right wing, and the battle was over. Had that veteran unit broken before it did, I think I might've been able to get some better results on my left and break that wing earlier, but given the state of my right flank I don't know if it would've turned it around. Might've at least gotten me a 1-3 defeat instead of a 0-4 one.

I think in retrospect my biggest takeaway was that I should've refused my right more. Get them close enough to tie up the enemy advance, but stay out of contact while the left engaged. That, and I should've done a better job of thinking through where the enemy would choose to engage - I should have known that an army which relies on hoplites and chariots with next to no medium foot available (maybe none at all even) would not march out and meet me on that rough ground. And I should've handled my light troops with a bit more care, but then I know I am generally too aggressive with my light troops and view them as more expendable than I should.

I have started my next match against baldrick as well - Classical Antiquity, Ptolemaic vs Indo-Parthian. When I played this Ptolemaic list in the Chaos Tournament against the Huns, they didn't do too well - though I intend to try and apply some lessons from that match (press forwards and keep pressure up, mostly). Then again, the Huns didn't have cataphracts or elephants, so not sure how that'll shake out.

SLancaster

Post by SLancaster » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:52 am

A very nice battle to watch. One of the best of recent times on Richard's channel. You gave him a proper fight and well done!

I thought that you moved your units around him on your left too far. They were mostly wasted in the end. You could have used those units in the centre or as reserve against his chariots. Flank attacks are great but I often see players move units around and around a flank and with only 24 turns in a battle they usually do little because of the time it takes them to get into contact. Still, some of those units did a good job it was just the ones on the extreme edge of the flank that could have been put to better use, I think.

I liked how you moved your skirmishers over towards his chariots and they gave you some breathing space when he charged as the chariots were taken away from your main army.

Perhaps your second line behind your main line in the centre could have been closer and ready to flank and double-team units.

Thanks for posting it up!

Return to “Field of Glory II”