New FOG2 DLC?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: New FOG2 DLC?

Post by MikeC_81 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:15 pm

MVP7 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:49 pm
Personally I suspect the new big project could be 11th to 14th century medieval expansion. It would also make sense to offer such major era as an alternative starting module so that people interested mainly in medieval period wouldn't have to buy the Rise of Rome era first.

I wouldn't expect some massive final expansion with a ton of eras and areas. It has been unusually long since that last expansion but it seems like Panzer Corps 2 kept the art department busy for the end of 2019 and early 2020 so FoG2 dlc was probably on hold for a while.
That personally would be a big draw to me especially if the ruleset could be mechanically refined to fit the medieval period better. I don't know how interesting medieval will be if all we are getting is another re-skin of existing units and new army lists that try to generate a new play experience by only mixing up the unit comps in the lists.
Stratford Scramble Tournament

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=494&t=99766&p=861093#p861093

FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/

melm
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by melm » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:02 am

MikeC_81 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:15 pm
MVP7 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:49 pm
Personally I suspect the new big project could be 11th to 14th century medieval expansion. It would also make sense to offer such major era as an alternative starting module so that people interested mainly in medieval period wouldn't have to buy the Rise of Rome era first.

I wouldn't expect some massive final expansion with a ton of eras and areas. It has been unusually long since that last expansion but it seems like Panzer Corps 2 kept the art department busy for the end of 2019 and early 2020 so FoG2 dlc was probably on hold for a while.
That personally would be a big draw to me especially if the ruleset could be mechanically refined to fit the medieval period better. I don't know how interesting medieval will be if all we are getting is another re-skin of existing units and new army lists that try to generate a new play experience by only mixing up the unit comps in the lists.
I don't expect the rule and the army compostions of the medieval age far from the ruleset and armies in tabletop Field of Glory. The Rulebook and the expansion books "Swords and Scimitars", "Oath of Fealty" could help us to know what are going to come in the new dlc.

Gaznak
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Gaznak » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:09 am

My interpretation of the snippets we have available in the code is that late medieval pikemen will be something akin to pike and shot keils, ie resistant to flank attacks. The nitty-gritty specifics of that are of course completely up in the air.

By the way does anyone know how "keil" is supposed to be pronounced?

Adebar
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Adebar » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:53 am

Gaznak wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:09 am
Very much like

IC XC
NI KA

Athos1660
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by Athos1660 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:43 am

MikeC_81 wrote:
For each specific period, there are specific units with specific 'rules' (APs, PoAs, new capabilities...).

Regarding late Middle Age, we can expect quite a few novelties in terms of artillery and guns, infantry (keils...), lancers (knights...), weapons (more crossbows, long bows, maybe hand canons...), etc while, fortunately, the general framework of the ruleset will remain the same.

This way, as I see it, the FoG/P&S series provide an orignal experience for each period while it is easy to switch from one to another.

Bladeheart
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Bladeheart » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:34 pm

Gaznak wrote:
My interpretation of the snippets we have available in the code is that late medieval pikemen will be something akin to pike and shot keils, ie resistant to flank attacks. The nitty-gritty specifics of that are of course completely up in the air.

Is there anyway of telling whether this code is new code for FoG2 or 'imported' code as it were from the original FoG?

Schweetness101

Post by Schweetness101 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:19 pm

Bladeheart wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:34 pm
Gaznak wrote:

Is there anyway of telling whether this code is new code for FoG2 or 'imported' code as it were from the original FoG?
I guess if you own the original fog you could check, I don't own it but I think it's in a different engine? maybe not. You could also compare the current version of FOG2 to earlier versions of FOG2 to see when those snippets were added

SnuggleBunnies
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:59 am

Original FoG is on an entirely different engine. It is likely code imported from Pike and Shot.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg

Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:58 am

One of the snippets says :
// Was 200, but needed to be 300 to encourage knights to charge keils in the rear. However, this may make other types over-aggressive.
It was 200 in P&S, so it is likely that this bit of code was added after the development of FoG2 had started.
However, Richard already stated in this thread that :
(...) the order in which strings were added is not necessarily the order in which they will appear in the game. Plans change.

All you can say from what you have found is that we do at some point intend to include the High and Late Medieval periods. But you knew that already.

kronenblatt
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by kronenblatt » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:24 am

Athos1660 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:43 am
MikeC_81 wrote:
For each specific period, there are specific units with specific 'rules' (APs, PoAs, new capabilities...).

Regarding late Middle Age, we can expect quite a few novelties in terms of artillery and guns, infantry (keils...), lancers (knights...), weapons (more crossbows, long bows, maybe hand canons...), etc while, fortunately, the general framework of the ruleset will remain the same.

This way, as I see it, the FoG/P&S series provide an orignal experience for each period while it is easy to switch from one to another.
Which time period would you guys say the breaking point is between FoG2 and P&S when it comes to the game mechanics best suiting the time period in question?
:!: Happy to finally having discovered Field of Glory II! :!:

Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:54 am

kronenblatt wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:24 am
Which time period would you guys say the breaking point is between FoG2 and P&S when it comes to the game mechanics best suiting the time period in question?
Sorry I don't really understand your question.
The timeframe of P&S is 1494-ca.1700.
The general game mechanics of both games are identical, except some refinements made during FoG2 development (ZoC2, Flank rules...), specific units of each period (dragoons...) and their specific features (weapons, capabilities...).
And these mechanics work very well in every period.

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:11 am

Athos1660 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:54 am
kronenblatt wrote:
The general game mechanics of both games are identical, except some refinements made during FoG2 development (ZoC2, Flank rules...), specific units of each period (dragoons...) and their specific features (weapons, capabilities...).
No worries, you answered it. :) Thanks! (The background to my question is that I'm not at all familiar with P&S and if and then how it differs from FoG2 mechanically. But now I know that it doesn't.)
:!: Happy to finally having discovered Field of Glory II! :!:

Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:42 am

kronenblatt wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:11 am
Athos1660 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:54 am
kronenblatt wrote:
No worries, you answered it. :) Thanks! (The background to my question is that I'm not at all familiar with P&S and if and then how it differs from FoG2 mechanically. But now I know that it doesn't.)
Nice !

Correct me if I am wrong, I think that the idea was to create a set of rules that would suit the entire period of use of 'pole weapons' (I don't know whether it is the correct word) especially against cavalry, ie from the Antiquity to ca.1700.

Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:26 am

Very surprised that current FoG2 DLCs get so few (positive) reviews on Steam (10 reviews at most !). They deserve much better IMO.

sIg3b

Post by sIg3b » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:02 pm

kronenblatt wrote:
Athos1660 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:43 am
MikeC_81 wrote:

1450, perhaps? Some overlap wouldn´t really hurt, either, or what do you think?

Return to “Field of Glory II”