Increase font size for vision impaired

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Happycat
Strategic Command 3 Moderator

Increase font size for vision impaired

Post by Happycat » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:12 am

Is it possible to increase the font size in-game? My laptop is a 15 inch screen which is fine for the game map and units, but the briefing fonts and other fonts such as unit info, sub-menus etc. are way to small for my old eyes. I have tried various different resolutions but to no avail. I have already set my main computer display to the desired resolution, and over-sized the fonts successfully but cannot seem to do anything that affects the font size for the game dialogues.
Chance favours the prepared mind.

Retributarr
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Increase font size for vision impaired

Post by Retributarr » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:00 am

"I See That I Can't See!":

Yeah!... I've been there... I have 'Harped/Complained' on this very-issue several times, but... what I get is 'a-No-Never-Mind' response.

So!... to make my-life easier... I have implemented 2-different actions.

(1.) I have found that the.. "Windows-Magnifier" application/tool in my Windows Operating System is a great-big-help!. Once I have located it in my Windows Operating System I proceeded to set It up by making/having a short-cut of the "Magnifier' tool Icon pinned to my start-bar... for quick-easy-accessibility.

(2.) I have also acquired a-Long "DMI-Cable" so that I plugged one end of it into my 'Lap-Top'... and the other end of the "DMI-Cable" into my 'Huge-SAMSUNG"-LCD T.V. Monitor.

Even by using my 'SAMSUNG LCD TV'... the print size is still sometimes somewhat difficult to manage!, but I am stil able to get by with this as usually I do have to access my "MAGNIFIER" Tool Accessory... to make difficult to see or read items much more manageable.

At this point... I don't have too-much trouble with reading the 'Fine-Print' anymore.

I hope this helps!.

PoorOldSpike
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by PoorOldSpike » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:19 am

Happycat wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:12 am
..My laptop is a 15 inch screen which is fine for the game map and units, but the briefing fonts and other fonts such as unit info, sub-menus etc. are way to small for my old eyes..
Just splash out on a 27" monitor, plug your laptop into it and that's a bingo..:)
Tanks were invented to make war more fun

ErissN6
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by ErissN6 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:49 pm

PoorOldSpike wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:19 am
Just splash out on a 27" monitor, plug your laptop into it and that's a bingo..:)
Yeah, just buy a bigger house, leftist hobo :)

PoorOldSpike

Post by PoorOldSpike » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:14 pm

Happycat wrote:
..My laptop is a 15 inch screen which is fine for the game map and units..

Wow, if laptops can play PC2 I might get one to take on holiday or wherever..:)
What brand and model number is yours?

Retributarr

Post by Retributarr » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:08 pm

PoorOldSpike wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:14 pm
Happycat wrote:

Whoaaa!!!... before we get too-far here, yes!... I am playing PzC2 on a lap-top... however... its not the best game-plan to attempt doing so... unless you get a lap-top that is specifically developed for playing 'High-End-Games'. I have never needed to get such a Computer/Laptop before... and I can only guess that some laptop lines like... [Not sure of the exact names here] Alienware?, Ironman... that's all that comes to mind this instant. I would have to go Online to see what else can be rooted-out.

Yes!... my 11-Year-Old "TOSHIBA/Qosmio" laptop does play "PzC2", but it has some limitations which I will now document for you.

(1.) "Heat-Issues":
I had to put a cooling-fan unit under my Computer for this game as well as for some others... and as well above that Cooling-Fan and underneath the Computer... I also rigged-up a situation where I had a centimeter to a centimeter and a half "Spacing" between the Fan and the Computer... to maximize cooling.

(2.) To protect the 'Lap-Top' as much as I reasonably could... I also limit my 'Game-Duration-Turns' to one at a time... then return to 'Desktop' and then wait 2-3 minutes... before I restart the Game... to give the Computer additional time to further-cool.

Even-So!... this effort of mine may or may not work out in the end?... we shall see!.

(3.) "Game-Scenario-Limitations":
I have not been able to play for example... the latter stages of the 'Barbarossa-Campaign'... in the latter stages... such as 2 or 3 Scenarios past the "Stalingrad-Scenario". At this point... I can still do the Unit-Setup... and readily move my Mouse around... but!... when I try to start the Game... it just freezes/locks-up?.

The same goes for the single-scenario... "FallWIESS"... it will not run after I do the 'Set-Up'.

fluffybunnyuk... advised me that 15DDR? [I don't know the specific memory]... is required for this... if you can understand it...
QOS I7-2670QM 17.3 FHD 3D LCD 1.5TB/8G Qosmio X770-03K, 17.3 FHD 3D LCD, Intel Core i7-2670QM, 1.5TB(2x740GB 5400), 4GB+4GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 1.5GB, 802.11 bgn, BD-RE, 1.3M

she further stated that...
"Its enough VRAM at 1.5gb to load all the campaign maps, but just 0.5GB short of the large scenario maps. I'd be surprised if you got 15fps from it. I'd expect maybe 11-12fps from that spec. [Ret: I had no-issues with Frame-Rate-at all]
Since its a laptop i'd expect the GPU to be running flat out just to provide lag when you move the map around. Laptop GPUs dont tend to be well enough ventilated unless its a highend one for gaming.
My bet is on overheat lockup due to a combo of insufficent power to run anywhere near 30fps, and inadequate cooling. Laptops generally arnt designed to be thrashed at 100% for very long".

So!... that's what your dealing with... unless someone comes up with a better solution?.

Happycat

Post by Happycat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:02 pm

PoorOldSpike wrote:
Happycat wrote:

It's a gaming laptop by Asus, part of their Republic of Gamers (ROG) strix series. This one has more power than I need, but it was the last one in the store and it was released in July of 2019 and they want to bring in the replacement unit. So I got this one for $1500 Canadian taxes in. It is the fastest computer I've ever owned, although I know there are many better and faster ones out there. Basically it's an i7 9th generation with 16 GB RAM and a 9750H processor which is i7 9th generation. The cooling fans are awesome and not all that loud. The video card is NVidia 1650.

I copied over the most pertinent specs for you.

System Name LAPTOP-5O775OFL
System Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model ROG Strix G531GT_GL531GT
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. G531GT.306, 2020-03-11
SMBIOS Version 3.2
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product G531GT
BaseBoard Version 1.0
Platform Role Mobile
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 8.12 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.2 GB
Available Virtual Memory 8.29 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Happycat

Post by Happycat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:05 pm

Retributarr wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:08 pm
PoorOldSpike wrote:
Happycat wrote:

Whoaaa!!!... before we get too-far here, yes!... I am playing PzC2 on a lap-top... however... its not the best game-plan to attempt doing so... unless you get a lap-top that is specifically developed for playing 'High-End-Games'. I have never needed to get such a Computer/Laptop before... and I can only guess that some laptop lines like... [Not sure of the exact names here] Alienware?, Ironman... that's all that comes to mind this instant. I would have to go Online to see what else can be rooted-out.

Yes!... my 11-Year-Old "TOSHIBA/Qosmio" laptop does play "PzC2", but it has some limitations which I will now document for you.

(1.) "Heat-Issues":
I had to put a cooling-fan unit under my Computer for this game as well as for some others... and as well above that Cooling-Fan and underneath the Computer... I also rigged-up a situation where I had a centimeter to a centimeter and a half "Spacing" between the Fan and the Computer... to maximize cooling.

(2.) To protect the 'Lap-Top' as much as I reasonably could... I also limit my 'Game-Duration-Turns' to one at a time... then return to 'Desktop' and then wait 2-3 minutes... before I restart the Game... to give the Computer additional time to further-cool.

Even-So!... this effort of mine may or may not work out in the end?... we shall see!.

(3.) "Game-Scenario-Limitations":
I have not been able to play for example... the latter stages of the 'Barbarossa-Campaign'... in the latter stages... such as 2 or 3 Scenarios past the "Stalingrad-Scenario". At this point... I can still do the Unit-Setup... and readily move my Mouse around... but!... when I try to start the Game... it just freezes/locks-up?.

The same goes for the single-scenario... "FallWIESS"... it will not run after I do the 'Set-Up'.

fluffybunnyuk... advised me that 15DDR? [I don't know the specific memory]... is required for this... if you can understand it...
QOS I7-2670QM 17.3 FHD 3D LCD 1.5TB/8G Qosmio X770-03K, 17.3 FHD 3D LCD, Intel Core i7-2670QM, 1.5TB(2x740GB 5400), 4GB+4GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 1.5GB, 802.11 bgn, BD-RE, 1.3M

she further stated that...
"Its enough VRAM at 1.5gb to load all the campaign maps, but just 0.5GB short of the large scenario maps. I'd be surprised if you got 15fps from it. I'd expect maybe 11-12fps from that spec. [Ret: I had no-issues with Frame-Rate-at all]
Since its a laptop i'd expect the GPU to be running flat out just to provide lag when you move the map around. Laptop GPUs dont tend to be well enough ventilated unless its a highend one for gaming.
My bet is on overheat lockup due to a combo of insufficent power to run anywhere near 30fps, and inadequate cooling. Laptops generally arnt designed to be thrashed at 100% for very long".

So!... that's what your dealing with... unless someone comes up with a better solution?.
See my reply to poor old spike...I'm running a gaming laptop and it's got the muscle for pretty much anything I want to play. I think I'll just connect it to my 42 inch plasma screen LOL.

Happycat

Post by Happycat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:07 pm

Retributarr wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:00 am
"I See That I Can't See!":

Yeah!... I've been there... I have 'Harped/Complained' on this very-issue several times, but... what I get is 'a-No-Never-Mind' response.

So!... to make my-life easier... I have implemented 2-different actions.

(1.) I have found that the.. "Windows-Magnifier" application/tool in my Windows Operating System is a great-big-help!. Once I have located it in my Windows Operating System I proceeded to set It up by making/having a short-cut of the "Magnifier' tool Icon pinned to my start-bar... for quick-easy-accessibility.

(2.) I have also acquired a-Long "DMI-Cable" so that I plugged one end of it into my 'Lap-Top'... and the other end of the "DMI-Cable" into my 'Huge-SAMSUNG"-LCD T.V. Monitor.

Thanks...yes, the LCD idea is great. And I do use the magnifier now too, which helps. These young programmers don't care about my 70 year old eyesight :(

Even by using my 'SAMSUNG LCD TV'... the print size is still sometimes somewhat difficult to manage!, but I am stil able to get by with this as usually I do have to access my "MAGNIFIER" Tool Accessory... to make difficult to see or read items much more manageable.

At this point... I don't have too-much trouble with reading the 'Fine-Print' anymore.

I hope this helps!.

Retributarr

Post by Retributarr » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:10 pm

Searching For A High-End Gaming Computer:

This is what I just found!. Goot?-No Goot?.
https://www.bing.com/shop?q=ironside+ga ... FBDD881D71

Alienware Aurora R11 Gaming Desktop - w/ 10th gen Intel Core - 16GB - 1T
Free shipping
$3,599.99

Dell Canada

Visit site: WoW!... is this Address LOoooonnng!. [It was when I copied it!] I was Unable to get there!.
https://www.bing.com/aclick?ld=e8ffqRLr ... 5af1352f82

Product details

The new Alienware Aurora is engineered with 10th Gen Intel Core processors, optional liquid-cooled graphics and multiple upgrade options to achieve peak performance that lasts.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gaming- ... 11-desktop

Happycat

Post by Happycat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:54 pm

Retributarr wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:10 pm
Searching For A High-End Gaming Computer:

This is what I just found!. Goot?-No Goot?.
https://www.bing.com/shop?q=ironside+ga ... FBDD881D71

Alienware Aurora R11 Gaming Desktop - w/ 10th gen Intel Core - 16GB - 1T
Free shipping
$3,599.99

Dell Canada

Visit site: WoW!... is this Address LOoooonnng!. [It was when I copied it!] I was Unable to get there!.
https://www.bing.com/aclick?ld=e8ffqRLr ... 5af1352f82

Product details

The new Alienware Aurora is engineered with 10th Gen Intel Core processors, optional liquid-cooled graphics and multiple upgrade options to achieve peak performance that lasts.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gaming- ... 11-desktop
That looks good! Too much money though...my wife would kill me! :D

PoorOldSpike

Post by PoorOldSpike » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:32 pm

Happycat quote- It's a gaming laptop by Asus...it is the fastest computer I've ever owned, although I know there are many better and faster ones out there.

Retributarr quote- I am playing PzC2 on a lap-top... however... its not the best game-plan to attempt doing so... unless you get a lap-top that is specifically developed for playing 'High-End-Games'.

-------------------------------------------------------

Thanks guys, so it seems my best bet is to only buy a super-duper laptop capable of high-end gaming..:)
PS- why do you play on a laptop anyway? Why not on a big desktop PC?

Retributarr

Post by Retributarr » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:17 pm

PoorOldSpike wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:32 pm
Happycat quote- It's a gaming laptop by Asus...it is the fastest computer I've ever owned, although I know there are many better and faster ones out there.

Retributarr quote- I am playing PzC2 on a lap-top... however... its not the best game-plan to attempt doing so... unless you get a lap-top that is specifically developed for playing 'High-End-Games'.

Thanks guys, so it seems my best bet is to only buy a super-duper laptop capable of high-end gaming..:)
Why!!!:... because 15 years ago after I moved from "Oregon-City/Oregon" back to Canada... I located and purchase a 2-Acre lot in Northern British Columbia at the town of "Kitimat"... and after unloading my belongings from the 'Tractor-Trailer' [Including my Desk-Top Computers]... I initially started using my 'Lap-Tops'.

I got used to using them and at the same time I could also rest my feet on the Couch/Living room furniture... instead of siting for hours on end in an uncomfortable chair... I found that this was a very relaxing and restful doing it this way.

Also... my 'Lap-Top' is plugged into my 4-1/2ft/1.5m wide TV which is great for 'Large-Sized-Viewing'... so now... I just couldn't be as happy anymore looking at a puny Computer Screen!.

Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:45 pm

Everyone has their preferences, which is fine. My son's got a decent 17" i7 Asus RoG thats a couple of years old now. On paper its much better than my 10yr old desktop used for the PzC and FoG graphics. But in practice it doesn't have near the oompf because its a laptop. I've never built one so can't claim to have any understanding but it seems to me that lower power draw, for smaller laptop specific components, and thermal issues will always result in a poorer system (comparatively). So you probably have to pay over the odds for a decent laptop compared to an equivalent PC. But thenmost people don't buy laptops for their power.

As for the OP, someone with more technical knowledge of Unreals type tools would have to give you a definative answer but from my own experience it's one side of the engine that is really poor. We've had to jump through hoops just to get some font variation in and AFAIK, blanket changes to text is not something we can currently do since we have a number of fixed sized panels. Increasing font size would break them. WE might address them in the future, but redesigning the UI is not high on the list of priorities. I hope that doesn't classify as a " a-No-Never-Mind' " response.

Pat

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Happycat

Post by Happycat » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:16 pm

Patrick Ward wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:45 pm

Everyone has their preferences, which is fine. My son's got a decent 17" i7 Asus RoG thats a couple of years old now. On paper its much better than my 10yr old desktop used for the PzC and FoG graphics. But in practice it doesn't have near the oompf because its a laptop. I've never built one so can't claim to have any understanding but it seems to me that lower power draw, for smaller laptop specific components, and thermal issues will always result in a poorer system (comparatively). So you probably have to pay over the odds for a decent laptop compared to an equivalent PC. But thenmost people don't buy laptops for their power.

As for the OP, someone with more technical knowledge of Unreals type tools would have to give you a definative answer but from my own experience it's one side of the engine that is really poor. We've had to jump through hoops just to get some font variation in and AFAIK, blanket changes to text is not something we can currently do since we have a number of fixed sized panels. Increasing font size would break them. WE might address them in the future, but redesigning the UI is not high on the list of priorities. I hope that doesn't classify as a " a-No-Never-Mind' " response.

Pat
Good answer, makes the reasons for not doing this quite clear and understandable. For what I play, the ROG is working great and in the 2019 model I have, the cooling fan and ports are really efficient. Even dust is not an issue, because somehow they've made it difficult for dust to collect. Very happy with this platform so far.

Thanks for the response!

Retributarr

Post by Retributarr » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:57 pm

Patrick Ward wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:45 pm

blanket changes to text is not something we can currently do since we have a number of fixed sized panels. Increasing font size would break them. WE might address them in the future, but redesigning the UI is not high on the list of priorities. I hope that doesn't classify as a " a-No-Never-Mind' " response.

Pat
"Thank-You!" very much for the reason behind the 'Text-Size' issue!. It is really good to see that there are continuing efforts to make improvement's... when they can be reasonably attended to.

PoorOldSpike

Post by PoorOldSpike » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:39 pm

Thanks guys, I've just asked the shop about laptops and have posted their reply in the PC2 tech support thread if anybody wants to check it out and tell me what you think..:)
https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 82&t=99925

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”