PBEM++ servers need in-game messaging

Moderator: Slitherine Core

elxaime
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

PBEM++ servers need in-game messaging

Post by elxaime »

I am sorry if this has been brought up already and answered by Slitherine. But the PBEM++ servers, for example the one used for multipayer in Field of Glory: Empires, desperately needs in-game player messaging added. Right now, in multiplayer, players who want to conduct diplomacy need to share their personal emails and see if others do so, to create a work-around. It would be much easier if this was an integrated function, set up to allow you to private message players or groups of players. This would facilitate diplomacy, which right now has to swim upstream against the lack of PBEM++ functionality. Not sure why Slitherine is resisting adding this feature, it is not like in-game messaging is something that hasn't already been around for decades. Their multiplayer (e.g. more than 2 player) games are not achieving their peak accessibility until this feature is added.
tkrysiak
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: PBEM++ servers need in-game messaging

Post by tkrysiak »

+1
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

It was definitely something that was considered for Empires. In the end it was determined that players were more likely to want to use alternative messaging approaches rather than keeping the game running just to chat or check for messages. There is no resistance to it, just a lack of clear value added. Plus the fact that some players are vehemently against such 'push' type messaging, which can be used for abusive purposes unfortunately.

Note that you can of course use the PM system on the forums to communicate.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
elxaime
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by elxaime »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:46 pm It was definitely something that was considered for Empires. In the end it was determined that players were more likely to want to use alternative messaging approaches rather than keeping the game running just to chat or check for messages. There is no resistance to it, just a lack of clear value added. Plus the fact that some players are vehemently against such 'push' type messaging, which can be used for abusive purposes unfortunately.

Note that you can of course use the PM system on the forums to communicate.

Cheers

Pip
Hi Pip -

There may be a misunderstanding. I am talking about turn-based messaging, not real-time chat. With a turn-based game like FOG:E (or any similar turn-based games), players don't really need or expect to have to keep the game running anyway, since the attraction of a turn-based game is that people don't have to be online at the same times to play.

For a turn-based game, adding in-game, turn-based delivery, messaging (not chat) would be an improvement that players would really appreciate. It would be perfect for FOG:E, where the turn-based campaigns are sagas lasting hundreds of turns. I have heard from numerous FOG:E players many times complaining how inconvenient it is to have to use their personal emails. The in-game private messages could be delivered to your in-game nation in-box every turn, just as part of the turn resolution. Functionality should include the ability to create groups as recipients, so you can message alliances.

Turn-based in-game private messaging would be a real winner with your turn-based PBEM++ fans. Trust me!

James
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Ah - understood. I will add it to the task list.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

That would work like the unique broadcasted message mechanically, except you could send several and could tick on or off to whom you are sending it.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
elxaime
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by elxaime »

Pocus wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:15 pm That would work like the unique broadcasted message mechanically, except you could send several and could tick on or off to whom you are sending it.
You should also add an "ignore" function to address the issue of "push" messaging, in case one of the players decides to use private messages to troll/harass. I doubt you will see this, since the game audience for a historical turn-based game like FOG:E isn't like a first-person shooter environment. But having the functionality added, assuming it is not a complication, makes sense. If it complicates, you can leave it out, I don't think it is that critical.

Return to “General Discussion”