Bug and re-balancing collection thread

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Bug and re-balancing collection thread

Post by lordzimoa »

Hi guys,

Just in case we missed something last few weeks.

Please post here any bugs and balancing problems you guys found last few months, I bet we have most covered on our own internal list. But it is helpful for us to recapitulate and have it all central.

Thanks,

Tim aka LZ
Suprass
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Bug and re-balancing collection thread

Post by Suprass »

1. Claiming game button in MP menu isn't working- simple
2. Cities without unit inside don't show naval units in their zone of sight.
3. Disband unit bug- when disbanding unit it look like game return changed resorces- for example- disbanding garrisno return 5 pp and 10 manpower
4. Repairing bug-8 step corps can't be repaired before move because there isn'e enough pp, after move same corpse can be repaired.
5. Arty shooting bug- example- 5 step arty can't shoot if there are 9 ammo in the stock. It can shoot if there are 10 or more.
6. When bomber (or zeppelin) unit is selected pointing mouse over enemy's city (in the fog of war but in range of bombardment) change mouse into "cross" if there is enemy unit in the city. I can see if there is enemy unit in the city beyond line of sight.
7. game crush during replay if this is second replay wiyhout exiting game ( i mean I fisnish one MP turn and start another and replay allways crush). Restarting game resolve problem but this isn't that way...
8. Someone said about zone of control problems. It seems like it doesn't always work or it is hard to see how it's wor- could someone explain how it works or check if there is any problem. (Fastest way is to explain how it work so I can see if there is all alright).
Thouse are bugs from Multiplayer games.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

7. game crush during replay if this is second replay wiyhout exiting game ( i mean I fisnish one MP turn and start another and replay allways crush). Restarting game resolve problem but this isn't that way...
Having a problem with this too...
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Problem with uploading turns, on and off today. message reads that there is a problem with the server. Checked my modem, everything is on. Would it have to do with the game server? This only happened from the MP, did not try SP, but did reboot PC a few times.

PS; Now I cannot load games either, message reads "timed out" in a red stop sign. This happened early today and just now.

Other times today in MP the game down and up loaded normally.

PSS; Again "error message", says timed out, when trying to download an MP turn..

< Message edited by operating -- 9/26/2013 8:41:08 PM >
Posted this yesterday in; Matrix CTGW/Tech Support/Server Problems, ....as well as other posts...
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Treefrog says;

I just watched a garrison in Antwerpt move directly through one of my garrison's zoc and recapture Brussels, yet in other places units moving off the line appear to be paying a cost to leave the zoc of the defender.

what am I missing here?
Surprass; Was this the quote you were referring too?

I'll add to Treefrog's quote;; My Belgian infantry in Antwerpt, oddly enough could have taken Brussels, even though there was a blocking German garrison in the southeasterly hex in front of Antwerpt, with Brussels to it's back. Did not make the move for; (1) FOG in Brussels, (2) Thought I would have been isolating myself by taking Brussels, which turned out to be wrong thinking (for it's a Capital city).
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

operating wrote:
Treefrog says;

I just watched a garrison in Antwerpt move directly through one of my garrison's zoc and recapture Brussels, yet in other places units moving off the line appear to be paying a cost to leave the zoc of the defender.

what am I missing here?
Surprass; Was this the quote you were referring too?

I'll add to Treefrog's quote;; My Belgian infantry in Antwerpt, oddly enough could have taken Brussels, even though there was a blocking German garrison in the southeasterly hex in front of Antwerpt, with Brussels to it's back. Did not make the move for; (1) FOG in Brussels, (2) Thought I would have been isolating myself by taking Brussels, which turned out to be wrong thinking (for it's a Capital city).
Yes it is. Sometimes there is very hard to judge if enemy can or can't take the city...
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

This is an example for point 6 of my bugs report

From game with Operating (Operating you can gather intel from those pictures :D)
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

From game with Operating (Operating you can gather intel from those pictures )
My intelligence people are examining the captured documents as we speak......sssssh!

PS; It was reported to be forgeries, more treacherous ploys by the Huns!
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

After the above match SS, Suprass moved his BB to Antwerpt.

Moved my English Cruiser next to the CP BB, to have BB spotted. When English "Bomber" attacked that BB, game crashed....Similiar attacks, have had the same results.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Commander "NO Shows";

Well into April-May of 1917, past the Arab Revolt and still at war with Turkey.

English General Maude has long met all the requirements to enter the game , but has not.

The name sake of the game is "Commanders". Can we at least fix the problem of commanders being a "NO SHOW"?
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

To add to the Commander issue; A player can not see what other generals are available, under the "NO SHOW" general, Admiral, pilot. Which prevents a player from anticipating what the next Commander may require to be activated. Not only that, a player cannot scroll through the Commanders, to see who any of them are, and of what "value" they retain.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Commanders; It seems to me that the first Russian general that should be made available is Yudenich (# of kills), instead of Evert (hydrodermic artillery). Yet the only commander on the Russian leader screen is Evert, making it impossible to have Yudenich to deploy when qualifies. Tying generals/admirals/pilots to tech advances falls flat as far as I am concerned...Especially in MP....
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

Winter bug.
Units in Africa and other "hot" zones suffer penalty from moving in winter time.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Kirk says;

Ok turn 2 and General Yudenich is on the Austrian/Hungary border with an Infantry unit. I have looked at the scripts for the commanders in the game, and 24 out off 49 commanders are scripted for the year 2000, meaning they are unlikely to ever appear in a game, given that they also have tech restrictions, and number off kills to achieve before activation, all I can say is the game designers got this aspect off the game totally wrong please fix.
This is exactly what I am talking about!

Hell! How are we to know who all these 49 commanders are? It seems that whoever designed this game, spent more time trying to Strangle Commanders into oblivion.

Many times, I am forced to give up a "lab" (one and only), (just to survive). So the general on the "Leader Screen" (that needs the tech), stays frozen, even though over time, other generals meet the required "green check marks" are kept in a kind of purgatory, for no other reason, than poor game design.

< Message edited by operating -- 10/8/2013 8:17:10 PM >
villev
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by villev »

Bugs:
1. Helsinki is not part of Finland, unlike all the other hexes in the country.
2. Spotted naval units are are half-invible next to port and city hexes without units. They display in the toolbar infobox and minimap, but the maphex does not have the unit graphic.

Balancing:
1. US does not enter the war, usually because Germans ignore the subwar, and because the casualties needed to trigger US entry are set too high.
-US entry needs additional triggers (Entente total casualties, NM of Entente allies, etc.)
-US should enter war even without sub campaign, just later than historically
-make sub war more tempting option for CP. Increase sub spotting and lower production cost. The WWI U-boat campaign sunk almost as many tons of Entente shipping, as german U-boats did in WWII.
2. Russia capitulates too easily, main reason being the (bugged) revolution events.
-see thread on Russian revolutions for suggestions. Make the NM hits smaller and make Russia still hang in the war after the October revolution. Add event triggers that would relate to causes of the revolution: lack of garrison units policing major cities, PP and transport capacity shortages, etc.
-Russia is too easily contained in the start, give them a bit more PP production, and a few more units.

Suggestions:
1. Make Greece and Persia join the war too, as they did historically.
2. Serbia should be a bit more resilient, they held out a lot longer in reality than they are usually doing in game now.
3. Display triggering conditions and effects of events when they fire.
4. Make railgun enter play earlier, they don't have any function now.
5. Tweak armored trains to make them viable unit. Or remove them, they didn't really operate on a scale that's being depicted in the game.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

If I can just link to a thread from March 2013 that contains my last thoughts on the game - I haven't played since then.

http://www.slitherine.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 02&t=40699
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Re-balancing;

In my match turn dated July 1915; 1. Nivelle needs Creeping Barrage to be deployed. In all my MP matches thus far (win/lost) this general has not been available[/i]. Creeping Barrage is the last artillery tech to be developed, by the time this tech is completed , the MP match is already over.

2. Brusilov needs Aerial Artillery Coordination completed to be deployed. Plus 100 kills & 100 casualties, at this point I have 397 & 528, yet it may take sometime into 1916, before this general might be available (makes no sense). Under the current rules; Revolution starts Jan 1916, another general that never get's put on the map.

3. Serbia deserves a general, if not 2 generals.

4. I can have 3 Turkish generals, before the end of most matches. What BUGS me; is that Turkey enters the war several turns (?) later than Russia (2 generals)!!!!

5. CP ships cannot block convoys from passing through the Suez canal. Had a AH BB and a Turk cruiser, side by side at canal MED. entrance, convoys would go right through them.
FOARP

Post by FOARP »

Blocking a channel is just gamey, the only way it could be done in reality was sinking block ships in shallow waters, and that would only work for a canal. Floating warships could not block a channel unless they were actually in it (i.e., floating in the Suez Canal, not just positioned in its entrance). The rest are real issues though.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

With this new 1.40 patch, do we know if we are talking about before or after Xmas? Thanks. :wink:
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

FOARP wrote:Blocking a channel is just gamey, the only way it could be done in reality was sinking block ships in shallow waters, and that would only work for a canal. Floating warships could not block a channel unless they were actually in it (i.e., floating in the Suez Canal, not just positioned in its entrance). The rest are real issues though.
I'm playing this game as it is. Putting 2 English fleets, one beside Calais, the other next to the English coast, is enough to prevent the passing of CP convoys. Why should that be different than any other blockable location on the map? If the designers of this game say otherwise, then, by all means let the membership who bought the game know!

Return to “Commander - The Great War”