Too many Garrison units as CP

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Lozza12
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Too many Garrison units as CP

Post by Lozza12 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post and I just wanted to say that this is an excellent game.

I'm a long time Total War, Close Combat & Hearts of Iron fan and I know that WW1 is a tough genre to do well. I think the folks at Slitherine have done an admirable effort! :)

A couple of concerns regarding the power of the 1914/15 CP armies if I may:
- There seems to be 2-3 too many Garrison units in the German army in the west? These get butchered by the French army as we move into 1915, even when fully fortified. I recommend these are upgraded to Infantry in any future patch;
- The AH army seems to be no bigger than the Serbian army, and this is compounded by an empty border with Italy once the Ities enter the war;
- The Turks seem a bit underdone after they spend their initial starting cash and seem to get thrashed by a large British army in Egypt (with artillery) in 1915!

Now, given I'm still a noob at this game I appreciate I may not be using my forces optimally, but I was very surprised at how quickly the CP seem to become outnumbered by the Entente from 1915. Historically the British army was tiny until 1916 and the Russians always suffered from supply issues (read - run out of cash fast and can't upgrade/repair units).

Any hints or comments would be eagerly received 8)

Cheers,
Lozza12

Plaid
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Too many Garrison units as CP

Post by Plaid » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:26 am

Hello there.

Garrison units have limited combat power, but they are also cheap to repair and upkeep. It is very hard if possible at all to upkeep army made of infantry units only and still have enough troops to cower all fronts and have some reserves (reserves are important because you have to withdraw depleted low effectiveness troops from the front - low effectiveness troops fight really bad even if you repair them to full strength). So it is OK to switch depleted infantry with fresh garrison - it can hold entrenched section of the front for a turn or two, while your main combat unit rest and repair.
But if you still don't like garrisons, you always can disband them and use PPs and MP to draft other units you want.

Suprass
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Too many Garrison units as CP

Post by Suprass » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:53 am

As Plaid said garrisons are good to hold front line and to keep front line as one line when you advance. To attack use infantry unit and garrison only to finnish wounded units and to take empty hexes...
CP can hold the line against Entente but only useing garrisons with care...

Return to “Commander - The Great War”