Some quick questions?

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Confusedesh
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Some quick questions?

Post by Confusedesh »

Central powers Blockaded what causes this?

Blockade lifted what causes this?

Why can I not attack enemy subs after they make an attack, many times I have seen an enemy sub attack a convoy and then when I attempt to attack only my sub can.

Overall how does submarine warfare work?
BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Some quick questions?

Post by BattlevonWar »

Really the manual covers these questions properly. To the letter and you can search via PDF.

Regardless, I sort of just pull one off the hip and go for it game terms as far The Great War and the current rules are concerned and scripts. As far as I know:

Subs have to be adjacent or right next to the hex they revealed themselves in with the ship that will take the bitter blow. I am also pretty sure you only get one go on a sub by sea then it dives and hides out. Now I remember in the ole days uncovering subs meant you had to go into the precise hex it was in by some miracle considering how large the oceans are in this game I have never actually seen that happen. Of course sub warfare in this game was pretty nerfed :mrgreen:

I know the Convoys have to do with the number of CP Ships in the North Sea and Number of Entente Ships there. Not sure it matters much, unless you manage to kill off The Entente Navy :) I don't know whether or not the ports matter, do they have to be outside their ports or not. Just check for Green and your good when moving your navy or you might lose every vessel you have. Good luck and The Navy is a backwater to this game...98% of warfare here is Land/Air, most sell off their Naval Research, why, PRICE...

They are great for supporting landings
Confusedesh
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Confusedesh »

Yes I should read the manual but unless I missed it there was no mention of blockades.

Cheers.
BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

This is where I am a bit lost as well and looking at the scripts and having edited one and failed and then having to edit it twice to get it to work just right for Russian Surrender, you can get lost trying to break down the game in the scripts. But I do notice that when I attack Entente ships that circle my Shipping rounds outside of my ports, it usually causes a blockade to be broken there. Although that's rare..the reason being the Entente does not usually move ships to get attacked close enough to North Sea CP Bases where the CP is strongest. But if you look at the scripts below it sort of gives the impression that the Atlantic Convoy Highway is opened up by some sort of German Unit Strength in the Atlantic. That or some sort of action it takes there, perhaps representing that you are asserting your Naval Strength basically in the North Sea thus giving confidence for ore/coal transports to safely attempt to make a blockade run through Entente infested waters. Basically though when you see Green 4 hexes outside of a Port of yours beware of going further out without massive protection and plans... repeating myself but there you lose a massive advantage at naval war

-- German convoys reactivated
function BlockadeBroken()
if GetEvent("BlockadeEstablished") ~= 0 and GetEvent("BlockadeBroken") == 0 then
local entente = game:GetAllianceById(1)
local cp = game:GetAllianceById(2)
local ententeStrength = 0
local cpStrength = 0
for faction in entente.factions do
for unit in faction.units do
if unit.type == Unit.NAVAL then
if unit.hex ~= nil and unit.hex.region == 1 and unit.prototype.name ~= "transport" and unit.prototype.name ~= "convoy" then -- ignore convoys & transports
ententeStrength = ententeStrength + unit.hp

if cpStrength/ententeStrength > 1.5 then
-- Blockade broken
SetEvent("BlockadeBroken", game.turn)
game:GetFactionById(2).luaData.blockaded = 0
end
end
end

Here where it says 1.5 CP Strength I think represents the location and strength of your Navy? Perhaps someone knows how to read this script but I always get my Convoys moving by just having my Navy around and they always get smacked up by the Entente on their way to German Ports unless 1 thing, there is no Entente Navy left.
Confusedesh
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Confusedesh »

I had moved my North sea fleet into the Baltic once I moved them back the blockade was quickly lifted.

In my first move I also deleted some of my cruisers to be able to create a view more extra German infantry divisions to deal with the Russians which then allowed me to deal them a strong blow in 1914.

Mind you even though most get sunk the occasional convoy that gets through makes a difference to upgrading your German army more quickly so allowing the blockade to continue for so long was a mistake.

Return to “Commander - The Great War”