My Experience: Was the Game Designer Serbian?

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Turbo624
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: My Experience: Was the Game Designer Serbian?

Post by Turbo624 »

I bought this thinking there would be a reasonable representation of WW1 and have really been disappointed with how the game protrays WW1. Ridicous airpower, country military strenghts that aren't even close to the timeframe. Mechanics like labs and ammo production that make no economic sense to build, artillery that never has enough ammo to fire. I didn't expect 100% historical accuracy but I never expected this to get so many things wrong. The game isn't bad if you aren't a wargamer or don't care about some liberties that the game takes with the WW1 period. The Serbs have more units that the manpower could realistic support. There are more Serb units than the entire Ottoman empire fields. Russia is incredibly strong and more that a match for Germans. The same Germans who managed to deal with multiple armies and crush them with a couple of corps. The game does have a decent AI but the lack of historical detail has been enough for me to shelve it.
ERA101

Post by ERA101 »

IMO Bomber is too powerful even with just level 1 upgrade.
It can kill 2-3 garrisons every turn. That make CP at a severe disadvantage in holding eastern front.
Russia and France can build it instantly while CP has to wait for at least 1 year to build this meat grinder.

I think bomber should be nerfed, at least early war.
Bomber in WW1 mostly use for strategic bombing, not ground attack like in WW2.
So it's damage to unit should be limited. (only effective against Arty, Armor and Airfield which more expose to the bomb than Infantry in a trench.)
PrinceMiskin
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by PrinceMiskin »

Why should Russian Empire have early access to bombers to start with?
Confusedesh
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Confusedesh »

OK I played a few games on balanced and privileged against the AI no interest in MP.

My conclusion is that while the game is fun most of what it consists of is pointless.

Playing as the CP there is little reason to build anything other then infantry as many as you can and as fast as possible.

There is no point increasing you ammunition production or railways if you wasted time doing that the AI would overrun you.

You will not really deviate from the tech tree and the best thing is to simply focus on the top tier which means the technology tree is basically irrelevant unless you forget to focus on something new.

I have to say that I found the game addictive but I also have to say I never came across a game that has so much content that is made irrelevant you may think you will use but you wont.

There is a very tenuous connection with WWI but its an illusion mainly because all the choices you have with technology, increasing railways and ammunition production that would bring it closer to WWI cant be used and I have no idea what the bombers are doing in the game.

Return to “Commander - The Great War”