Secrets of the Reich - WIP

Modders can post their questions on scripting and more.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

TopoSolitario
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Secrets of the Reich - WIP

Post by TopoSolitario » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:16 pm

I'm toying around the idea of making a new campaign concept... it can be fun... a small number of scenarios with some SCI-FI surprises...
Currently I'm getting familiar with the way the game works, had no problem with the 3D models (churchil is a really nice example, I'll have to take a look at the calliope indeed), and my plans are to go for two new units out of the historical background...

That is, battle walking machines (GEHENPANZER?) and maybe some weird infantry with only H2H assault capabilities and hability to self heal... :p

I'll start with the walkers. I hope I'll get enough spare time to work on them... but don't be surprised is this post got frozen for a while :S I really have no spare time usually.

For them I'll use my dieselpunk mecha -> http://www.toposolitario.es/workshop/steammecha.html and let's see what happens... I'll have to retexture them as current textures are far out of the game style (and in multiple images) and work a little bit with the animations, but I think it should be a feasible work.

Image Image

Nothing else, will keep you informed. :)
Last edited by TopoSolitario on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Now this could be very cool.

This is the level of modding we were hopping for when we built the system to be so open. You can basically create a whole new game in a campaign folder and it can be downloaded via the in game user content distruibution system :)

tim1966
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by tim1966 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:44 pm

Superb stuff. The texturing is lovely. My nephew was saying that a '1946 - what if the Germans had made...' campaign would be brilliant especially if the Allies get some good stuff too. If you need any help then shout up - there's quite a few of us now getting to grips with the game and modding it.

Don't forget the British battle walking machine should be able to make a decent cup of tea as well. :wink:
Models from Tim's Surplus Store ... Established 1966 ... Open 24/7 ... closed for TEA TIME

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:58 pm

Should the British mechs be forced to use a Silly walk - as per ministry policy?

I really love these kind of "what if" scenarios. They won't appeal to everyone, but that's the beauty of user content - we can have a hardcore campaign and a fictional campaign available and people can take their pick.

Cheers

Pip

Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Topo ... great stuff.

I hope I can talk you into making some models for me, since I lack the MAX app.

A gent named Tim1966 used to be the resident model guy but real world stuff has lowered his model output.

Thanks for you future work ... looking forward to new stuff.

tim1966

Post by tim1966 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:14 pm

I'm still around and if anyone wants anything specific then always happy to help. Been working on a project of my own which will shortly be seeing the light of day (and Christmas :D plus a dose of swine flu :evil: has kept me quiet).
Models from Tim's Surplus Store ... Established 1966 ... Open 24/7 ... closed for TEA TIME

TopoSolitario
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TopoSolitario » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:18 am

The "silly walking evasive maneuvers" is one of the most important chapters in the british walkers field manual!! :lol:

Here it is, a small step in the forum but a BIG leap for me: first understanding MAX interface... never worked with it before! then learning to UV mapping, being able to work with DDS in paint shop pro, transforming my textures to game frienly textures with the particular lightning-ized textures style of the game, and learning the basics of importing models into the game... too many new areas for a couple of days :S

This is a first approach to a VERY basic texture:

Next will be the animation and FX objects...

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:10 am

I'm not in to mech games but you sure have come a long way quickly. Great to see talent shared with other people.
You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.

TopoSolitario
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TopoSolitario » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:20 am

My problem is that I rarely finish a project... soon or later I'll be busy with my job or I'll be doing anything else... I'm a focus-hard person :S

Anyway, thank you all for your comments... I think I finished with the textures for the model so I'm going to put my hands into max animations... googling for tutorials in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... :P

TopoSolitario
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TopoSolitario » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:59 pm

HELP!

I'm working on the new walkers... at first it will be a german driven campaign, what I can't find is how can I play the campaign as AXIS... using "sides.txt" from axis skirmish or blitzkrieg campaigns doesn't seem to work, all I can get is a german labeled allied control.
Any help out there?

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm

You have the sides.txt with axis at the top I assume.

To see the Axis icons above your units you need the uniticons.dds from an Axis campaign.

When you are in the editor, the icon on the left needs to be set to the German flag, the right to the Allies. When you click the units selection icon, side 0 will be for Axis and side 1 for Allies.

TopoSolitario
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TopoSolitario » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:40 pm

junk2drive wrote:You have the sides.txt with axis at the top I assume.
To see the Axis icons above your units you need the uniticons.dds from an Axis campaign.
When you are in the editor, the icon on the left needs to be set to the German flag, the right to the Allies. When you click the units selection icon, side 0 will be for Axis and side 1 for Allies.
Thank you for the tip... my problem was that if you ALREADY have units on the map and you change sides.txt later... editor has problem recognizing sides of the units... weird! :S

Now it is working perfectly... prototypes already made their first blood :D (some us trucks, not much fun).

TopoSolitario
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TopoSolitario » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:51 pm

More HELP!

Now I'm trying to work FX for more than 1 MG or more than 1 Main Gun... the problem is, how can I do that?

If I create two objects for the FX both named !#01, only one of them generates muzzle flash... hum, maybe I'm missing something :S

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:31 pm

I don't think this game supports multiple guns. Look at the Char bis. I think there is only one flash when it fires.

Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:42 pm

TopoSolitario wrote: If I create two objects for the FX both named !#01, only one of them generates muzzle flash... hum, maybe I'm missing something :S
About the only way to do multiple guns/rockets is through scripts ... from what I've seen and done so far.

TopoSolitario
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TopoSolitario » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:46 pm

Merr wrote:About the only way to do multiple guns/rockets is through scripts ... from what I've seen and done so far.
I've found the way to double the mg muzzle or the main gun shots between more than 1 gun... or at least it is a good workaround. :)

The idea is to play with the FX delay of the action (with MGs it is each 2 frames in the churchil) and the position of the #!01 box every two frames... you can animate the box to be present at the flash hider of each different gun every 2 frames. As simple as that.

And it works great! :D

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:59 pm

You could have multiple flashes (that is, 2 guns firing at the same time), the system just doesn't support more than one turret. Having said that, the tool for creating the FX files isn't ready for release currently. :(

Cheers

Pip

TopoSolitario
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TopoSolitario » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:06 pm

pipfromslitherine wrote:You could have multiple flashes (that is, 2 guns firing at the same time)
Hi Pip... the question is... how?

I want the FX 01 (which attaches to object #!01) to be played in different places... if I duplicate the #!01 object (both with the same name) only one is shown. I can trigger effect 0 (main gun) and effect 1 (mg) at the same time but nothing else.
Is that something to be seen in future releases? I'm not talking about multiple turrets but double effects. :wink:

TopoSolitario
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TopoSolitario » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:06 pm

I've uploaded a testing scenario!
You can get it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6MJLEAJI

If you play it don't forget to leave your comments... actually the values of the Gehenpanzer I are just the sherman calliope ones... the only difference is that the new WALKER type unit can go through almost all terrain that infantry can stomp except forest and buildings :D

I didn't start tweaking values yet... keep in mind that I've learned to animate in MAX this evening from zero :S

The unit icos are the tigerI ones... can anyone upload the round icon in psd format? I've downloaded the "slot" templates from other post but didn't found the others.

Enjoy this little skirmish!, yankees didn't expect an armored attack from the rough hills...

*** EDIT ***

Try to get one of your Gehenpanzers blown away... hope you enjoy the animation ;)
Last edited by TopoSolitario on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:12 pm

In Data\UI\Textures is empty_icon.dds for use in making your icon.

Return to “Battle Academy : Modders Corner ”