Editor help

Download scenarios and talk about scenario design.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Editor help

Post by Eagletanker »

Okay, I started to play with the editor and I am wondering how do several things.
1. How to make bridges
2. Where can I find bridges and fortifications
3. How do I rotate overlays
4. How do I make unit reinforcements
5. Is there a manual
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Editor help

Post by Eagletanker »

Also, how do I place DLC units?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

TankerOne wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:38 am Also, how do I place DLC units?

These links should help:

http://www.slithdata.net/files/bbc_ba/m ... _Guide.pdf

http://www.slithdata.net/files/bbc_ba/m ... e_Docs.pdf

On the left hand side of the Editor screen, roughly in the middle, there is a little panel with all the available object folders, select each in turn to view all the objects in each one. You will find all sorts of Bridges, houses and other objects.

Hitting the R button while having the mouse over the tile should rotate an overlay.

For accessing the DLC units it depends on what exactly you are trying to do. The easiest way is just to create a copy of the DLC campaign, but if you want to mix units from different DLCs that might involve some copying and pasting of various files into your new Campaign folder.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Okay, thanks for the help. The U.I isn’t very helpful. I am used to forge from halo and close combat.
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Okay, some more questions.
1. Where are all my campaigns stored, as I can't seem to find them at all in my steam files.
2. How Do I know what side is getting what units. I want to give one side some axis tanks, don't know if I can have Allied armor and Axis armor on the same side.
3. Is there anyway to debug something to get rid of it? I have the Arnhem bridge in the middle of my map, but can't delete it.
Thanks for answering them.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

TankerOne wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:45 am Okay, some more questions.
1. Where are all my campaigns stored, as I can't seem to find them at all in my steam files.
2. How Do I know what side is getting what units. I want to give one side some axis tanks, don't know if I can have Allied armor and Axis armor on the same side.
3. Is there anyway to debug something to get rid of it? I have the Arnhem bridge in the middle of my map, but can't delete it.
Thanks for answering them.
Sorry TankerOne, I did not notice your post until now.

1) User created Campaigns, scenarios and mods are all stored in My Documents/My Games/BBCCA/CAMPAIGNS. The same is true for all Slitherine games that I am familiar with. User created stuff is never in the main game installation, whether it be Steam or purchased from Slitherine.

2) If you click the Tank icon at the top of the Editor screen once you have access to the Allied units, click it again and you get the Axis units. You can see the number of units on each side by looking at the numbers above the button at the very top of the screen:

I don't know of an easy way to combine the two unit lists. In Pike and Shot, if memory serves me right, you can hold down the CTRL button when clicking the Units button and it will merge the two lists, but that does not seem to work with BA.

That leaves the difficult way, at least it is difficult if you have not done it before! You would need to copy the games Squads.csv file and paste it into you Campaigns folder, then create new Allied/Axis versions of the units you want by copying the relevant line in the Squads file and pasting it at the bottom of the Squads list, changing the new units side value from Allied to Axis (or vice versa), give it a new unit number, and then add new unit name and description text strings in a text file in your Campaigns folder. Type #REPLACE in cell A1 of the Squads.csv file, so that it will override the games Squads.csv file.

You have to be aware with Battle Academy that some of the DLC campaigns have their own Squads.csv files that adds new units, so if you want to use units from a particular Campaign you have to copy that Campaigns Squads.csv file.

3) You can just select any object and position it over the Arnhem Bridge, or whichever object you want to remove, and just press the delete button on your keyboard. The object should then disappear.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Next batch of questions.
1. How do you delete units
2. How do you change the number of shots they get
3. How do you make it so the battle ends when one particular unit is destroyed.
Thanks for answering
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

1 - with the DELETE key
2 - you would need to edit the SQUADS.CSV file for your campaign (which would mean copying in the appropriate one to the campaign folder and editing it)
3 - that would require a script. This is a BSF file named the same as the BAM map file. See the game scenarios folders for examples of this. You will likely want to read up on the modding docs: http://www.slitherinebravo.net/GameWiki ... tub_engine

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Okay, thanks pip
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Okay, Maybe it’s just my computer, but I can’t delete units that I have placed. Also, is there green skins for the crusader?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is a nasty inconsistency in the editor. For objects you hover and DEL, but for units you hold down DEL and then click. Apologies for the confusion.

Cheers

Pip
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Okay, some more questions, this time about the AI and their points and group levels.
1. How can I have a group try to respond to the players move.
2. can I have more then one point per AI group, as in group one moves on to Hill, and then waits, before attacking a certain objective, and then seeking and destroying.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can do all those things, but generally it will require scripting. The AI groups will obey the flags that are set - these correspond to the AI script. If you look in CORE/AI/AI.BSF you can look at the various flag controls (see AI_GetTeamMovementGrouped and the functions below). You can combine flags if they make sense and it will generally work.

Cheers

Pip
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

How do I create alt skins, I want to have my crusaders be khaki/Beige, but there's only the farb desert skin. the manual mentions something called Max, is that what I need to create my alt skin?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

TankerOne wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:58 am How do I create alt skins, I want to have my crusaders be khaki/Beige, but there's only the farb desert skin. the manual mentions something called Max, is that what I need to create my alt skin?
No, Max is a 3d modelling program. You need a graphics editor such as Paint.Net (which is free) or Photoshop.

I use an ancient program called Paint Shop Pro 7. I have had my current PC for nearly 9 years, and transferred Paint Shop Pro 7 to it from my old PC. It had been on my old PC for several years, so God knows how old it is! I have been gradually learning how to use it over that time, and can do a lot with it, but I have not got a clue on how to use the other software that is available now. I do have Photoshop, but do not know how to do anything with it, apart from opening a new texture! So unfortunately I probably can't advise you on how to use those other programs.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Oh, okay. Guess I got to go find windows paint.
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Okay, time for more questions.
1.How do I add custom skins to the game.
2.How do I change the announcer icon that comes up on the reinforcements to different icon
3.Is there a way to change the picture and the text to be more like the original campaigns (more for BA2)
4. How do I change the music for the campaign and for each mission (More for BA2)
5. Can I get the BA units to transfer to BA2
6. Is there a way to tell the player something through the tool tips, kinda like the tutorial mission
7. How do I pre place a bonus, like a artillery barrage, and speed it up to be really fast like in Enrics Hard assault
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

TankerOne wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:46 am Okay, time for more questions.
1.How do I add custom skins to the game.
I assume you are talking about where to put the new texture files, rather than how to create them.

The unit texture files sit in the Data/Battle/Unittextures folder. So you should create the same folder structure in your custom scenario/Campaign/mod folder, and put your new textures in there.

BA2 allows the use of named sub folders within the Unittextures folder for alternate textures, but BA1 does not, so you can only replace the original skin in the main Unittextures folder.

Cheers

Paul

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

2.How do I change the announcer icon that comes up on the reinforcements to different icon
Do you mean the soldiers heads that pop up?

All the different head types are in the UI texture folder. The route is Data/UI/textures, there are several different head types available, but there are a lot of other textures in that folder so they can be tricky to find. The file names are in the format NATION_UNITTYPE_HEAD.dds, so for instance the British infantrymans head is BRITISH_INFANTRY_HEAD.DDS.

The best thing to do is find a scenario that uses one, and examine the files to see how it is done. I have never used one of the heads myself, but I assume that there is a script in the scenario.bsf file that calls up the right head in the same turn as the reinforcements. There would also be another script there that calls up the text at the same time. It would link to a text description in the scenarios Text1.txt file.

You can right whatever you want in the Text1.txt.
Last edited by Paul59 on Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

3.Is there a way to change the picture and the text to be more like the original campaigns (more for BA2)
Probably, but I have never done it. Maybe check another user created scenario to see how it is done.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Return to “Battle Academy : Scenario Design”