Finally getting a chance to play a game!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Finally getting a chance to play a game!

Post by shadowdragon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:59 pm

After a few months of painting like mad, I've finally got a scenario ready to go. The scenario is based on Grant's book of programmed scenarios for solo play.

This is the overview of the deployment, which will no doubt change once I re-read the rules and make adjustments.

Close up of the Parliamentary forces:

And closeups of the Royalist left and right wings:

The premise of the scenario is simple. The Royalist forces must clear the pass during the day so that the rest of the Royalist can pass through in the night.

Feels real good to be finally playing FoG:R

chubooga
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by chubooga » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:49 pm

and its looking good!

more more more!

jon

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:23 pm

chubooga wrote:and its looking good!

more more more!

jon
Thanks, jon. Halfway through the re-read. Will need to check things like...is it a good idea to deploy IN the village, how to match the solo programmed choices, etc. Issues to sort out:

1) The programmed Royalist option is to attack on south slopes (right wing) with a screening force on the north slopes (left wing), however, there's all those trees on the south. I'll need to probably classify those as "plantation" for light woods to justify the Royalist attacking through them. On the north side, I'll make the 3rd contour all difficult terrain (steep hill) while the 3rd contour on the south will still be gentle hill.

2) The deployment option for the Royalists is to attack when appropriate. Right now, they're fully deployed AND they are congested. So, I'll probably pull some units out of the line and put into column with the idea that they are moving to a sensible deployment position. It will make more sense to have the infantry in columns moving to the right wing than to have cavalry opposite the woods.

3) Only minor re-adjustments for the Parliamentarians given their programmed options are a screen of dragoons and horse forward with the remainder in front of the village. However, I need to check out what's sensible in terms of best use of terrain.

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:52 am

ORBATS

Royalist:

1 X GC
3 X TC
5 X BG (4 bases Cavaliers - Armoured, Superior, Impact Pistol, Melee Pistol)
5 X BG (4 bases MF - Musket*, 2 bases HF - Pikes, Unarmoured, Average)
1 X BG (4 bases MF - Musket*, 2 bases HF - Pikes, Unarmoured, Poor)
1 X BG (2 bases Light Artillery)
2 X BG (2 bases MF - Musket, Unarmoured, Average)
1 X BG (4 bases Dragoons - Musket, Unarmoured, Average)

Total: 15 BG, 869 Points

Parliamentarians:

1 X GC
2 X TC
2 X BG (4 bases Horse - Armoured, Average, Carbine, Melee Pistol)
3 X BG (4 bases MF - Musket, 2 bases HF - Pikes, Unarmoured, Average)
1 X BG (4 bases MF - Musket, 2 bases HF - Pikes, Unarmoured, Poor)
1 X BG (2 bases Field Artillery)
1 X BG (4 bases Cuirassiers, Heavily Armoured, Average, Carbine, Melee Pistol)
1 X BG (2 bases MF - Musket, Unarmoured, Average)
1 X BG (4 bases Dragoons - Musket, Unarmoured, Average)

Re-organized an additional 2 BG of pike/shot into:
1 X BG (4 bases MF - Musket, 4 bases HF - Pikes, Unarmoured, Average)
2 X BG (2 bases MF - Musket, Unarmoured, Average) - Detached Shot

Total: 13 BG (originally 12 BG), 618 Points

Note: This violated (No, not in that sense, Phil. It has nothing to do with dictionaries or encyclopedia.) the normal rule, but it made sense for this scenario in terms of (1) taking advantage of the terrain and (2) giving the Parliamentarian force more determination to hold the ground from the higher break point.

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:59 am

Photo showing the terrain features according to the FoG terrain types. Not visible are Enclosed Fields behind the village.

Finished the rules and made some adjustments. Mostly left the Royalists alone except for removing the limber bases as they are not required for light artillery. I made quite a few changes for the Parliamentarians along with the re-organization of the BG defending the village as the only thing that made sense was 2 BG of detached shot (2 bases - single rank) in the village section on each side of the road. That left a large BG of 4 muskets and 4 pikes which was ideal for defending the artillery. Shuffled the other BG to accommodate the BG (in red coats) that had originally been providing the artillery with rear support.

One other change to the rules was that a flank is threatened only with 6" of the table edge due to the narrowness of the front (table = 4' wide by 6' deep). A 12" zone would have covered half the table width.

Redeployed Parliamentarians:

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:46 am

The Royalist commanded shot bring out their big dice and score double hits on the Parliamentarian horse who end up down one base.

On the southern end of the line, the Royalists send in their dragoons on one flank and more commanded shot on the other flank of the Parliamentarian dragoons. Feeling the pressure from begin out gunned and having their own fire split, the dragoons withdraw....and according to the programmed response for the Parliamentarians, their whole southern line starts to withdraw towards the villages and enclosed fields.

Note: Shooting is deadly. I'm not used to one hit from shooting having the possibility of causing a base loss. I will need to play the scenario again as this does take some getting used to...I wonder what FoG:N's going to be like.

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:03 am

Yep...the most noticable thing in the first few games is how deadly shooting can be. Your first response is to hang back, but this solves nothing. In the end, you have to get to those guns or somehow deal with the muskets, either by shooting them up yourself or getting right into them with whatever you have.

The Royalists here have found it a problem when facing my narrower horse BGs compared to his strung out cavaliers...since his dice split between two or three enemy BGs but mine all combine onto one of his BGs. :twisted:

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:40 am

Blathergut wrote:Yep...the most noticable thing in the first few games is how deadly shooting can be. Your first response is to hang back, but this solves nothing. In the end, you have to get to those guns or somehow deal with the muskets, either by shooting them up yourself or getting right into them with whatever you have.

The Royalists here have found it a problem when facing my narrower horse BGs compared to his strung out cavaliers...since his dice split between two or three enemy BGs but mine all combine onto one of his BGs. :twisted:
Pain in the arse to figure out how to usefully deploy a bunch of strung out cavaliers as well on a narrow battlefield!

nickdives

Post by nickdives » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:43 am

On trick with the strung out cavaliers is to move them into the impact in 2 ranks then feed the other chaps onto the flanks in the subsequent movement turns.

timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:00 am

In the Beta at Britcon I saw a lot of 4 base BGs of DH, Cavaliers, and Polish Hussars formed up 3 wide with 1 base in the second rank. Seemed the best balance.

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:17 pm

timmy1 wrote:In the Beta at Britcon I saw a lot of 4 base BGs of DH, Cavaliers, and Polish Hussars formed up 3 wide with 1 base in the second rank. Seemed the best balance.
That's what I've ended up doing - 3 BG in 3/1 base formation and 2 BG in 2/2 base formation. I think another problem is that army size (800+) is too much for the 4' wide by 6' deep table. I'll still play it out but will probably re-do the scenario with what I've learned. From my FoG:AM experience I'm trying to be very careful with supporting ranks in case a front rank unit routs and causes cascading disruptions. The current support / burst through rules might be okay for FoG:AM and even FoG:R, but when it comes to FoG:N I would expect to have an easier time of attach in depth or defence in depth versus the current "accident waiting to happen" that trying to do that causes.

timmy1

Post by timmy1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:35 pm

Given the FoGR support rules, on a 6' deep table you should have plenty of room for routs I believe.

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:49 pm

timmy1 wrote:Given the FoGR support rules, on a 6' deep table you should have plenty of room for routs I believe.
True, but I'd like to spend more time fighting the front line battle than making sure that this BG in the rear isn't a just over the line of a potential rout path. Loss of cohesion is, of course, a major part of the game and bursting through is the only time the loss of cohesion is automatic - even losing a combat 5 hits to nil doesn't necessarily mean the loss of cohesion (and if your lucky you might not even lose a base). Add to that the time and effort to recover the loss of cohesion... doesn't matter I put my druthers for rear support / bursting through on the v2.0 forum long ago. So, I don't need to rehash it anymore....although that would be sooo out of character for a wargamer, eh? :lol:

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:28 pm

We've been using 4' x 8' for 700pts and that almost fills the table side to side!

(Where's Manotick?? You anywhere least ways close to Cambridge/Kitchener?)

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:12 am

Blathergut wrote:We've been using 4' x 8' for 700pts and that almost fills the table side to side!

(Where's Manotick?? You anywhere least ways close to Cambridge/Kitchener?)
I'm a half-hour south of Ottawa airport. Officially, since amalgamation, I'm in the city of Ottawa and - boo! - pay property taxes to that bunch of nincompoops, but I juuuust can't bring myself to say I'm from...Ah....Ah-ta....oh, forget it. I can't do it. :lol:

So, that makes me 5 to 100 hours by car from Cambridge/Kitchener depending Toronto's traffic. :(

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:10 am

Turn 7 - the Parliamentarian horse shouldn't have been deployed where it was...but since it was going to be difficult to get them out of the way safely, their commander stood his ground with a do-or-die attitude, which as it turned out was more the latter than the former. It didn't help that the first shot of the Royalist commanded shot took out one base of horse. Nevertheless the Royalists had some trouble mounting a coherent attack and went in piecemeal. By turn 7 the Parliament horse on the left had been destroyed (auto-broken), while the remainder of the command grimly hung on.

Elsewhere, it was clear that someone had sabotaged the Parliamentarian's gunpowder. Their field artillery had been banging away since turn 3 without a single hit.

Note the greatly admired village water tower!

Turn 9 - It wasn't just the artillery's gunpowder. The Parliamentarian musketeers weren't having much luck either. It took until turn 9 for the first Royalist base to be removed - after Lord knows how many dice!

The Royalists have finally emerged from the woods and a proper infantry battle is starting to shape up. The cavalry battle has finally ended with both the Parliamentarian commanded shot and remaining horse regiment being destroyed (auto-broken). Well, at least they didn't run! However, the slow methodical approach of the Royalists might still cost them as they MUST win the battle by dusk (end of turn 12). Will probably be a long 3 turns for the Roundheads.

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:54 am

Let us know if you are heading to HotLead. Dead. and I are putting on a Royalist vs Parliamentarian ECW demo game (probably 800pts or so).

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:32 am

Blathergut wrote:Let us know if you are heading to HotLead. Dead. and I are putting on a Royalist vs Parliamentarian ECW demo game (probably 800pts or so).
Not likely due to too a pretty busy travel schedule shuttling to and from the West Coast for work but if things change I'll let you know.

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:59 am

Turn 12 - Game end...with the Roundheads hanging on for victory.

Turn 10 started out with the Royalists getting a bunch of lucky shots (taking out one base from each of the front line Parliamentarian foot regiments and the useless artillery that manage not a single kill the whole game). That put the Parliamentarian forces down 4 BG (3 lost in the inane cavalry battle and the artillery).

Not liking the firefight odds, the 2 regiments in the centre (the big 8 base one that had provided support for the artillery and the red regiment to their left) charged and routed the Royalist foot. Adding to tally, the Parliamentarian dragoons shot their Royalist counterparts to bits. However, the Royalists had successes on the flanks. In the north a Royalist foot regiment and some commanded shot blasted the Roundhead regiment apart. In the south the Cuirassiers (demonstrating that the Roundhead cavalry still has a thing or two to learn) chased away the enemy dragoons (before they eventually got beat up by the Roundhead dragoons) and ran right into a bunch a cavaliers and eventually crawled their way down the cohesion ladder to rout.

At the end it was 6 Roundhead units destroyed to 3 Royalist. However, it was dusk. Parliament still had 3 BG in the village and the victorious BG in the centre were poised to attack the Royalist artillery.

The centre:

The southern flank:

It was a learning game. I had read that FoG:R is a game of attrition - and IT IS. I'll definitely replay with more sensible deployment. If the Parliamentarian cavalry hadn't been deployed forward as a "lost force" - never mind "forlorn hope", I don't think the game would have been close as the Royalists struggled to make use of their superior forces.

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Re-doing the scenario. Change in orbats - amalgated 2 pike and shot BG on each side to create 2 BG of 4 short and 2 BG of 4 shot and 4 pike for each side so that they have suitable forces for the light woods on the right of the picture. The picture is just after the Royalist turn3. In Parliamentarian turn the Royalist 8-base BG lost a base of shot to the Parliamentarian cannons.

Return to “After Action Reports (AAR's)”