Warfare 2011

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:38 am

My Early Ottomans did much better than I had expected (joint 5th), but only because 3 out of 4 of my opponents obligingly (gallantly, and very historically) suicided on to my prepared positions. Also the tables were over-depth, so that my opponents' Medium Artillery started off well out of range and they had not brought limbers.

The army was:

3 TCs
12 Field Fortifications
1 x 4 Superior Heavily Armoured Qapu Khalki Cavalry Bow, Swordsmen
2 x 4 Superior Armoured Qapu Khalki Cavalry Bow, Swordsmen
1 x 4 Average Unarmoured Timariot Cavalry Bow, Swordsmen
1 x 4 Average Unarmoured Akinji Light Horse Bow
2 x 8 Superior Unarmoured Janissaries MF Arquebus, Swordsmen
1 x 8 Average Unarmoured Azabs MF Bow
1 x 6 Average Armoured Voynuks HF HW
3 x 2 Heavy Artillery
Last edited by rbodleyscott on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Scrumpy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:28 am

donm wrote:My Muslim Indians managed a credable 8th place.

My main problem was throwing dice, on sunday afternoon even my opponent was complaining about how bad my dice where.

I certainly learnt a lot about the army and will certainly use it again, but will change the organisation a bit.

My list was

1 x GC
1 x FC
2 x TC
3 x 2 Elephants
7 x 4 unarmoured, average, bow, sword, cavalry
2 x 6 unarmoured, average, bow , warriors
1 x 6 unarmoured, average, swordsmen, warriors
2 x 6 unarmoured, average, bow, light infantry
1 x 4 unarmoured, average, bombs

Don

Thanks Don, interesting list with no superior troops in it at all, cuts down on re-rolls

Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:29 am

I suggest Simon tries the following link for a much more suitable prop !

http://www.partycheap.com/Inflatable_Pa ... click=6103

petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by petedalby » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:24 pm

This was first ever 15mm FoGR competition and most enjoyable it was too. I was pleasantly surprised to come 2nd with my Swedes but 3 of my 4 opponents were afflicted with a bad case of ‘one-itis’. This is the unfortunate tendency to throw a one on your death roll when receiving just 1 hit.

My list FWIW was as follows:

3 X TC
1 x 3 Avg Dragoons
1 x 2 Avg Med Guns
2 x Sup Swedish Brigades + Reg Guns
1 X Avg Swedish Brigades + Reg Guns
4 x Sup Commanded Shot + Reg Guns
1 x 4 Sup Hvy Armd Cuirassiers
1 X 4 Sup Armd Det Horse
1 x 4 Sup Unarmd Cavaliers
1 x 4 Avg Unarmd Karbinrytarre

Learning points: The 3 bases of Dragoons were a real liability – I think I lost them in every game. Commanded Shot are good but really slow you down against a mounted opponent who doesn’t want to fight. They can also be very vulnerable to cohesion tests. Medium guns are useless on an oversized table without limbers. Don’t throw ones.
Pete

list_lurker
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by list_lurker » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:30 pm

It did - and the game I saw on Sunday morning was the first in which the buccaneers managed to fight on the coast with supporting ships. Simon wasn't actually saying "aah, shiver me timbers, Jim lad" but he ought to have been.
I think by then he was tired of others saying that
comedic quips aside :roll: (Ok for the first 10 times :wink: ) I really enjoyed using the buccaneers. In all games they were always on verge of collapse, but they fought great bloody games.

I got the ships on once - and they made a difference in that game - so I didn't mind paying the 30pts!

The list was

Code: Select all

GC                                                                                       1
	TC                                                                                       2
	Buccaneers on Donkeys     Dragoon   Unarmoured	Average   Musket           Sword         2
	Cimaroons                 LF        Unarmoured	Poor      Musket                         6
	Buccaneers with grenadoes LF        Unarmoured	Average   Bombs                          4
	Cimaroons                 LF        Unarmoured	Poor      Bow                            6
	Other buccaneers          Warriors  Unarmoured	Average   Musket'* Imp Ft. Sword         8
	Other buccaneers          Warriors  Unarmoured	Average   Musket'* Imp Ft. Sword         8
	Disciplined buccaneers    MF        Unarmoured	Average   Musket           Sword         6
	Disciplined buccaneers    MF        Unarmoured	Average   Musket           Sword         6
	Veteran buccaneers        MF        Unarmoured	Superior  Musket           Sword         6
	Veteran buccaneers        MF        Unarmoured	Superior  Musket           Sword         6
	Ship's guns               Artillery              Average   Med Art                        2
	Ship's guns               Artillery              Average   Med Art                        2
	Ships                     Naval                  Average	                               1

Hightlights

The Grenadoes were useful, I only had them to make a cheap filler BG. In two games they bombed an element resulting in the ubiquitous '1' death roll and breaking units - great, for lurking surreptitiously waiting for a target. 4 LF can easily be tucked away!

The warriors in 8's with Impact Foot were surprisingly resiliant, against the conventional european foot BG having a couple of extra bases made a difference (esp with a warrior ++ overlap)

Sure against a PBI + 4 army with lots of horse you are going to have an unpleasant time - but sometimes you just have to take your licks. Price of being outside the box

Real fun army - to be recommended

Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:47 pm

I picked up some Blue Moon Buccaneers at Fall In that I'm waiting to have painted to field that army too. Although I preferred the Impact foot heavy version to the medium Foot variety.

Great army that guarantees whatever happens you'll be in the bar or dealer's room earlier than most.

list_lurker
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by list_lurker » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Impact foot heavy version to the medium Foot varie
you mean impact foot 'warrior'? yup they were good, that POA at impact is handy just bit of a reduction in shooting. I liked the MF types cos none likes 6 dice per BG at short range. A bit of judicious angling and you get mucho shooting dice. Also if thing go a bit pershaped you may have the chance to break off in the JAP

Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:47 pm

I tried a Mughal army last night in a club game against some Safvid Persians.

Conclusion...

1) Bow can't do squat when the muskets hit 7 out of 8 two turns running..... Mind you, not much can against that firepower.

2) When fighting with unarmoured Warrior bow, always remember the overlaps fight at ++ not -- when facing armoured mounted swordsmen... Cost me a unit that dropped to frag when it should have at least tied if not won a combat.

Ah well, at least my mounted wing destroyed his, killing 2 generals in the process. Always fun to see Elites blow up to your superiors when they have a poa too.

Return to “Tournaments ”