Godendag 2012 - 21st & 22nd January 2012 - Usk

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:48 pm

timmy1 wrote:Richard

Thank you for these. Could I ask you to double check the entry form for 'Simo Leroy-Mayer'? I have a 'Simon Leroy-Mayer' in the rankings already I beleive (and I have got his ranking wrong already), I presume it is the same person, especially as he is paired with the MadAxeMan... Enough chance of me getting the rankings wrong as it is...
No, actually it is an entirely different person, no relation. (Except that both of them have 50% of their genes in common with a banana, but one of them spells banana without the second "n").

madaxeman
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by madaxeman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:45 pm

"Pete Dalby & Lance Flint Huguenot - French"

Which French army is Lance Flint Hugenot using then ? (and is he related to Lance Flint ?)

:P
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

quackstheking
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by quackstheking » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:10 pm

I don't think using Early Henrician English is brave - it was one of our possibilities and having used it 4 times I remain unbeaten. :twisted:

Don't underestimate 8 x Bow Swordsman and Superior Heavy Weapons and the army can "swarm" with the best of them - a tough army to break down and I won't be jumping for joy if we draw it!

Don

zaknafir
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by zaknafir » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:13 am

quackstheking wrote:I don't think using Early Henrician English is brave - it was one of our possibilities and having used it 4 times I remain unbeaten. :twisted:

Don't underestimate 8 x Bow Swordsman and Superior Heavy Weapons and the army can "swarm" with the best of them - a tough army to break down and I won't be jumping for joy if we draw it!

Don
Good luck from Spain Don!!! ;)

Cheers,
Javi

madaxeman

Post by madaxeman » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:06 am

We've 4 more tables and about 10 more players than the Ancients competition!

timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:19 am

Long may it continue.

No surprise really as it is a better game...

daveallen
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by daveallen » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:45 pm

Could I ask you to double check the entry form for 'Simo Leroy-Mayer'? I have a 'Simon Leroy-Mayer' in the rankings already I beleive (and I have got his ranking wrong already), I presume it is the same person, especially as he is paired with the MadAxeMan... Enough chance of me getting the rankings wrong as it is...

No, actually it is an entirely different person, no relation. (Except that both of them have 50% of their genes in common with a banana, but one of them spells banana without the second "n").
And is either of them related to the Simon LeRay-Meyer who will be playing alongside Tim 'the boy' Porter?

I suspect Simon of adopting an assumed name to avoid the damage to his reputation and rating...

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:06 pm

madaxeman wrote:"Pete Dalby & Lance Flint Huguenot - French"

Which French army is Lance Flint Hugenot using then ? (and is he related to Lance Flint ?)
No, they are entirely separate people....banana...etc.

list_lurker
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by list_lurker » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi, sad news... Duncan Thompson, who was been a regular at Usk and Badcon has just had a stroke. He is currently poorly but stable. I'll be bringing a get well card at the weekend, and doing the rounds trying to get everyone to sign it. If any of you know Duncan (from Swindon), you will know he is a gentle and understated fellow. I'm sure a bit of wargaming community solidarity (even if it just signing a card) will help him

If you would like to sign and I don't collar you please seek me out and ask to sign

Many thanks

Simon

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks everyone for coming, and for making the umpire's life easy.

And here are the results:

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:02 pm

I look forward to the boy Porter's AAR of his Frenchies :D
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

timmy1

Post by timmy1 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:20 pm

It will probably pop up in the form of a letter...

quackstheking

Post by quackstheking » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:18 pm

Thanks to Richard for another great weekend of wargaming played in a fantastic spirit.

I hope never to see another elite 14/16 base Swiss Keil, having faced 2 of them in each of our 1st three games - they truly are scary invincible monsters.

Tim and Simon in our first game, got both of theirs into combat with our later tercios and scythed through them despite having superior cavalry attacking them on both flanks (Tim had cunningly covered the rear!). Jim's Balaclava like charge to take the guns was even worse than Lord Raglan's but fortunately we were able to kill enough supporting units to sneak a 13-7 win thanks to Tim's flank marching Ally General stopping for tea on the way to the battle, clearly getting lost and not arriving!

Our next two games faced off against Keil and Gendarmes rich Italian wars French led by Paddy/Dave and Keith/Andy when after 3 hours of march and counter march, lots of thrusting and withdrawals ( ooh err Mrs!) we ended up with relatively blood free 10-10 draws.

Last game - Ikko Ikki!! Simons figures were awesomely painted and our cavalry rich army was the last thing they wanted to face. However after a very see-saw game we sealed a 21-4 win that was a lot closer than the score suggested.

So a great weekend, 2 curries, too much beer, greasy breakfasts and some really sporting opponents - oh yes and well done to Aladair/Andy and Bob/Ben for claiming a joint first after a hard fought weekend.

Roll on 19th and 20th Jan 2013!!!!

Don
Last edited by quackstheking on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

madaxeman

Post by madaxeman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:20 pm

All 5 lists (ours plus opponents) posted already http://www.madaxeman.com/index.php

A fantastic weekend - I still can't get over how unbelievably better FoG:R is than FoG:AM !! .

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:58 pm

Deadtorius and I have been playing FoGR almost exclusively since it came out. I'm not sure why, but I agree with you. It seems much more straightforward as far as troop types and opponents. The foot, with pikes and shot, ignore horse, so there is much less of the pinging and such with horse on foot. Whatever the case, it has been very enjoyable.

Am looking forward to next Saturday when it will be 900pts of 28mm, Later TYW German Protestants with Swedish Ally vs Tilly and his boys.

mrbootsthecat
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mrbootsthecat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:43 pm

I'd just like to echo the thanks for Richard for running a great event. Even if he did tell me off when I made a (minor) mistake on the score sheet!

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:17 pm

mrbootsthecat wrote:I'd just like to echo the thanks for Richard for running a great event. Even if he did tell me off when I made a (minor) mistake on the score sheet!
It's what I call the Ghengis Khan school of umpiring. Think yourself lucky that your head was not chopped off and used as a polo ball.

In terror of the dreaded umpire, all 4 players in one of the games in the last round carefully checked their score sheet, and proudly declared it correct. It wasn't. (Their heads are now on pikes over the 4 principal gates of Usk).

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:16 pm

I'd like to add my thanks to Richard for another excellent weekend and to our opponents for 4 enjoyable games.

I really enjoyed the theme, it was great to see a whole range of different armies being used and to see Kiels and Early Tercios being used.

For anyone who's interested (I can't work out how to add this to Tim's Wiki) here's our list:

Mughals:

6 Skirmishing Archers LF Ave U/A Bow
4 Jezailachis LF Ave U/A Musket
4 Suicidal Bombers LF Ave U/A Bombs
2 Rocket Propelled Camels Ave Lt Art
8 Hindu Archers Warriors Ave U/A Bow
8 Bunduqchis Warriors Ave U/A Arquebus
5x4 Mughal Cavalry Superior Armoured Bow/Sword
3x2 Elephants
2x2 Huge Bombards Ave Hvy Art
4 TCs

youngr
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by youngr » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:34 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
mrbootsthecat wrote:I'd just like to echo the thanks for Richard for running a great event. Even if he did tell me off when I made a (minor) mistake on the score sheet!
It's what I call the Ghengis Khan school of umpiring. Think yourself lucky that your head was not chopped off and used as a polo ball.

In terror of the dreaded umpire, all 4 players in one of the games in the last round carefully checked their score sheet, and proudly declared it correct. It wasn't. (Their heads are now on pikes over the 4 principal gates of Usk).
Ahem guilty - but incorrect as we didn't check it carefully at all :) Luckily I have a spare head.....

An excellent weekend and thanks to our opponents for being sporting chaps.

Richard

donm
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by donm » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Can I just add Steve's and my thanks to Richard for a great weekends gaming and to all our opponents for four really good games.

I am still not sure how we beat the Japanese on sunday morning :oops: :oops: :oops: Wayne's dice were appalling.

Shame we could not beat Andy and Alisdair by one more battle group.

Great game guys, well played.

Really looking forward to Devizes in July.

Don

Return to “Tournaments ”