PEL for Cold Wars 2012 due soon

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

Simpleton
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

PEL for Cold Wars 2012 due soon

Post by Simpleton » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi guys, I need to plan for FOG-R at Cold Wars in March 2012 already. The preliminary list for the website and brochure is due in about two weeks. As usual, I will be running an Open and a Theme event. The question is should I repeat the Clash of Empires Theme since Fall In was ruined by a severe winter storm, or should we use a Theme from another book? I have also had some folks interested in a 25mm Theme for Trade and Treachery (up to 1550), saving the Elizabethans, French Wars of Religion, and the early part of the Dutch 80 Years War for a future date. So tentatively and to start the ball rolling here is what I propose:

Friday- 15mm 800 pt Open (all lists Scrumpy!) 3 rounds starting at 10AM rather than 9AM, It was suggested that some folks have to travel Friday morning and I hope this helps.

Saturday- 15mm 800 pt Theme (to be determined) 3 rounds starting at 9AM (getting done sooner allows for mid day break for shopping)
Also 25mm 650 point Trade and Treachery Theme 1500-1550 3 rounds running concurrently but with fewer BG should be shorter games.

Thursday? Do nothing so we can game other things, run a demo of some kind? or Does Marc want to run an early bird tournament?

I will take all suggestions and give Scott Holder info for the PEL by his deadline 1st week of December.

BTW Pete Hess is running 3 games each fighting the Battle of Ravenna, he wants to play the battle each time with a different rules set and I think FOG-R will be one of these.

Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Scrumpy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:12 am

Keeping the theme for 25mm sounds a good idea, as all the die hards who prefer the earlier period presumably had 25mm armies way back when.

My vote would be to give the Clash of Empires book another go as it was hit with unreasonable weather at Fall In.

babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:12 pm

I will cheerfully run an early bird event on the Thursday. That way I am guaranteed to get to play some FoG:R. It will probably be either an Open or some type of a Protestants v. Catholics event. (Because I am building a 30YW army.)

One interesting option that I heard discussed somewhere was a Doubles event in which each team brings one Catholic and one Protestant army, and the Catholics and Protestants of the opposing teams play each other for the round. Kind of a quasi-team / quasi-doubles event.

Marc

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:19 pm

What is viable on thursday? I don't think many get there by 9 am.

I think you may want to try something like a catholic protestants. 2 rounds or something that encourages faster games.

start may be 2 or 3 pm?

Just spit balling. It has been a LONG time since I remember thursday at cold wars

babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:33 am

Hmmm. Let me put this question out there to the potential players. How many would play a three round FoG:R event on the Thursday at Cold Wars? The start time would need to be noon or earlier; point level and game time limits still to be decided.

Talk to me,

Marc

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:08 am

Bob,

I would also caveat your 25mm crowd to rsvp in advance or bring a 15mm army if insufficient players show. The lesson of Historicon is we can run both Ancients and renaissance successfully simultaneously in 15mm. I don't think there was much (although some) 25mm action at Historicon. Of course the lesson of Fall-In is we can't go simultaneously if we have a snow storm. :shock:

Actually it is hard to say and you were watching the saturday numbers but it getting enough was do-able i don't know if we can yet sustain two scales.

Simpleton

Post by Simpleton » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:37 pm

A) Marc go with what you want to as long as you will be there.
B) 25mm will need to rsvp as this is just the PEL we can always cancel as we get closer if we don't get at least 4 people (the minimum for a round robin)
c) Our viability on saturday depends on how many people decide to play in the FOG AM open vs our Theme

Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:53 pm

The doubles tourney is a good idea, but not for Cold Wars if it clashes with the Fog A&M doubles. People might want to play a singles tourney up there, so I would suggest doing a doubles at Fall In or H-Con.

Simpleton

Post by Simpleton » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Since I didn't get much of a reply suggesting anything different, I sent off what I listed above, An open on Friday, theme on saturday. retry the Eastern Europe Theme, test things out with a 25mm Trade and Treachery as well.

Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:40 pm

You really think there is a large enough player pool for 2 themes on the saturday ?

Simpleton

Post by Simpleton » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:29 am

The only people who will have difficulty are people who have both Early lead AND Eastern European lead. I know several people who have the one but not both so they each have a Theme they can play in. If you bring both you can play in either, Hell, you might play in both! And guys like Kevin have Venetians in both 25mm and 15mm so when he plays my Early Henrician Tudors, he will be in 25mm and when he plays Walt's Swiss he could be in 15mm unless walt brings the Trastamara Spanish in 25mm.

I am hoping for all those Turkish and Polish army players out there (you know who you are!) to come this time assuming there won't be another ice storm. I am also hoping to see the Austrian Imperial Scrumpy's on the table unless you have another army up your sleeve.

Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:58 am

We had 10 or 12 playing at Cold Wars last year, doubt the figure was much different at Historicon or Fall In. You seem to be trying to split the pool into 2 groups when it would appear already smallish.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:11 pm

Simpleton wrote:The only people who will have difficulty are people who have both Early lead AND Eastern European lead. I know several people who have the one but not both so they each have a Theme they can play in. If you bring both you can play in either, Hell, you might play in both! And guys like Kevin have Venetians in both 25mm and 15mm so when he plays my Early Henrician Tudors, he will be in 25mm and when he plays Walt's Swiss he could be in 15mm unless walt brings the Trastamara Spanish in 25mm.

I am hoping for all those Turkish and Polish army players out there (you know who you are!) to come this time assuming there won't be another ice storm. I am also hoping to see the Austrian Imperial Scrumpy's on the table unless you have another army up your sleeve.

I think we need to expand the nature of these themes with a campaign map of some kind. A la the DBA people do. That would provide more energy to the event I think. I hope to expend some brain power on it over the holidays.

beausant
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

FOGR Open

Post by beausant » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:46 pm

Is it too late to request that the FOGR Open be played Saturday? The FOG AM is Friday. I'd live to play both opens.

Scrumpy

Re: PEL for Cold Wars 2012 due soon

Post by Scrumpy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:39 pm

I'm playing (R) on friday and A&M doubles on saturday, I don't think I'm the only one who is doing that either.

beausant

Post by beausant » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:48 pm

What are the allowed army lists for the Saturday tournament, 15mm Baltic to Balkan Theme (Eastern
European vs Turks and Tatars)?

Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:05 pm

I believe any army from the Clash of Empires book is valid, but check with Bob to make sure.

stecal
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by stecal » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:48 am

beausant wrote:What are the allowed army lists for the Saturday tournament, 15mm Baltic to Balkan Theme (Eastern
European vs Turks and Tatars)?
The Cold Wars PEL is pretty vague, doesn't even specify the army books allowed or years:

Saturday:
9am-9pm
15mm Baltic to Balkan Theme (Eastern
European vs Turks and Tatars.
800 pts. Two lists allowed.
Round 1: 9am; Round 2: 1pm; Round 3: 6pm.

9am-9pm
15/25mm Trade and Treachery, 1500-1550
Theme.
Players can use either a 800 pt 15mm army or a
650 pt 25mm army (or switch between if you
and your opponent have both).
Round 1: 9am; Round 2: 1pm; Round 3: 6pm

Maybe I'll just cover all the bases and show up with TYW Swedes, IW French, Caroline Imperial & Turks in 15mm. Can't go wrong then. :lol:
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:31 am

I saw Bob today. He is going to clarify the posting.

The Trade Treachery looks clear. That book.

Saturday is i think mostly a Clash of Empires book. So I think the rules out the Swedes. But the others seem to fit.

stecal

Post by stecal » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:44 am

hazelbark wrote:Saturday is i think mostly a Clash of Empires book. So I think the rules out the Swedes. But the others seem to fit.
umm, anyone ever heard of Early Gustavan Swedish? its in Clash of Empires.

is it 2 different themes at the same time? is is the T&T just 25mm?

This was the rules for the snowed-out Clash of Empires Theme at Fall-in:
"An 800 point 15mm Theme Tournament Clash of Empires 1500-1630
Allowed armies are any from the Clash of Empires book plus the Transylvanian Army from the Wars of Religion book "
Last edited by stecal on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Return to “Tournaments ”