BHGS Challenge

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

quackstheking
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: BHGS Challenge

Post by quackstheking » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:13 am

Alasdair I think I can safely say without any fear of contradiction, that you'll likely face either a late army, an ECW/TYW army, Hungarians or Sudenese. :D

In what order I can't yet determine (unless Round 1 is date order in which case you'll start with Sudenese!! :roll: ).

Don

alasdair2204
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by alasdair2204 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:08 pm

Can't wait

It'll be a great weekend

cheers

Alasdair

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:56 am

kevinj wrote:If someone can tell me how to embed a table into a post I can tidy up the format.
I haven't found any official way.

However, here is how I do it:

1) Display the table in Excel (or Word). Highlight the required section. Copy.
2) Paste into the standard Windows Paint accessory. Crop excess margin. Save as JPG.
3) Copy the JPG to a (free) Photobucket album.
4) Link to that in a post on the board. (IMG)

It sounds complicated, but it is actually very quick once you have opened a free photobucket account.

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:21 am

Thank you Richard, that works:

Also, fixed a minor date error in Richard Young's list (thanks to Richard for pointing it out)

daveallen
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by daveallen » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:34 am

Hmmm,

looks like a chance to settle unfinished business from Warfare Andy. :wink:

If only I could remember what you had in your army...

Regards,

Dave

alasdair2204

Post by alasdair2204 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:16 pm

daveallen wrote:Hmmm,

looks like a chance to settle unfinished business from Warfare Andy. :wink:

If only I could remember what you had in your army...

Regards,

Dave
Score settling, now we're talking

cheers

Alasdair

TimChild
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Biggles, or Boney?

Post by TimChild » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:32 pm

Attention all new recruits!

His Brittanic Majesty's RFC (and their counterparts among the Luftwaffe) will be holding a recruiting drive at The Challenge on Friday afternoon.

Those wishing to experience the thrills of powered flight (and willing to dare the spills of armed confrontation*) should assemble in the LVS sports hall in the mid-afternoon (a suitable period after allowing ones luncheon to settle).

(* sometimes even with the enemy!)

Chris Hanley and "Biggles Flies Unzipped" will be making their now traditional appearance on the Friday of the Challenge. Those who have already played will know how utterly wonderful a game this is. Those who have not - get there early to bag a machine!

Also on Friday Terry Shaw will be running a number of training/demonstration games of FOG Napoleonic. I know that this has been eagerly anticipated. We will be running a FOG N competition at Warfare this year, so come and have a taster. Napoleon is of course famous for wanting lucky generals, but he also said that "One bad general is worth two good ones". Which will you be!?

Tim Child

quackstheking

Post by quackstheking » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:40 am

I wait eagerly for Kevin to post the full results. I left early as my last game finished early due to Richard Young playing with loaded dice - unfortunately for Richard they were all loaded with 1's! :?

In the meantime, I would just like to say thanks to Kevin J and Tim C for running a great event and thanks to my five opponents, Simon Leray Meyer (Congrats on the podium finish mate!), Ric Davey, Richard B-S, Ben Jones (one day Ben I'll beat you!) and Richard Young, for some great games.

My grapevine tells me that Alasdair won again, with Ben 2nd and Simon 3rd - so I did get to play 2 of the top 3 - thank god I missed out on Alasdair! Congrats to the top 3 on your well deserved placings in what was a very strong field - 16 entrants all in the top 22 in the rankings!!!

My Later Louis XIV French, picked because I had painted the army and wanted to use it, performed OK, but I think I need to practice with it a bit more - unless facing Swedes, it needs to be aggressive to make the most of the Impact Foots POA - however with limited cavalry all unarmoured, you do need to protect your flanks when going forward. It was also my first time using Dragoons in 3's and it took me 4 games to get it right(ish) - definitely squeaky bottom time every time they take a hit. Ben J used his in 2's and they looked better!

Anyway roll on Campaign in May as my next outing - getting excited about it already - 5 more games, all in tight themed periods and run by that very nice man Alasdair! :wink:

Don
Last edited by quackstheking on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

alasdair2204

Post by alasdair2204 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks for that Don

really looking forward to Milton Keynes as well, got to sort out an army for Oxford Doubles first, thats only three weeks away

cheers

Alasdair

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:57 pm

I don't have the full results, but they should be posted on the BHGS website soon. Thanks to everyone for not having too many queries and making the umpiring duties pain-free. :D

youngr
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by youngr » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:31 pm

quackstheking wrote:I wait eagerly for Kevin to post the full results. I left early as my last game finished early due to Richard Young playing with loaded dice - unfortunately for Richard they were all loaded with 1's! :?

In the meantime, I would just like to say thanks to Kevin J and Tim C for running a great event and thanks to my five opponents, Simon Leray Meyer (Congrats on the podium finish mate!), Ric Davey, Richard B-S, Ben Jones (one day Ben I'll beat you!) and Richard Young, for some great games.

My grapevine tells me that Alasdair won again, with Ben 2nd and Simon 3rd - so I did get to play 2 of the top 3 - thank god I missed out on Alasdair! Congrats to the top 3 on your well deserved placings in what was a very strong field - 16 entrants all in the top 22 in the rankings!!!

My Later Louis XIV French, picked because I had painted the army and wanted to use it, performed OK, but I think I need to practice with it a bit more - unless facing Swedes, it needs to be aggressive to make the most of the Impact Foots POA - however with limited cavalry all unarmoured, you do need to protect your flanks when going forward. It was also my first time using Dragoons in 3's and it took me 4 games to get it right(ish) - definitely squeaky bottom time every time they take a hit. Ben J used his in 2's and they looked better!

Anyway roll on Campaign in May as my next outing - getting exited about it already - 5 more games, all in tight themed periods and run by that very nice man Alasdair! :wink:

Don
It was a good weekend indeed and thanks to all the organisers for running a very smooth and excellent competition. Saturday went with some cracking games against Ric, Simon and Martin. My apologies to Don for my dice rant on the last game on Sunday - I do get very frustrated sometimes when my dice go that way all through the game!! :? I think it was accentuated on Sunday by both Bob and Don rolling much better dice. I would have lost both games anyway as they are both better players and had better constructed armies but still frustrating that I couldn't achieve anything much. Don didn't lose a base in the whole game although I cheered when one of his units went disrupted near the end.

My partner asked me why my dice are so bad so often. I have played Steve Sykes about 20 times at home in dbm, FOGA and FOGR. Neither of us are great players but I have lost 19 times and drawn once - quite often due to terrible dice at the wrong times. Then again, when playing against Charles Masefield I often roll better dice than him. Strange. On the odd occasion, usually about once a year, I get good dice to my opponents rotten luck but its not at all enjoyable for me. I think some players are luckier than others. Ah well, I am lucky in life if not with dice so that more than makes up for it :D

Richard

petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by petedalby » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:48 pm

I too had 5 very enjoyable games - thanks to Kevin for list checking and umpiring and to Tim & David and everyone else for making it a very smooth and well run competition.

My main highs were the victory (12-8, I'll take it!) over Alasdair, aided by some outrageously fortunate terrain and a fortuitous call of 'time' - and my final game against Dave's 20 Bgs of Covenanters who caved in just before my own army did.

The Hampshire Hogs will be at Campaign - entry will be going in this week - and Lance will not be allowed to take anything with Warriors in it!
Pete

TimChild

Post by TimChild » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:37 pm

I am lucky in life if not with dice so that more than makes up for it :D
Richard, you are a very lucky man with your partner. Talk about a good find! Please pass on my thanks again, as she was a Godsend on Saturday evening. :D

Tim

youngr

Post by youngr » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:34 am

TimChild wrote:
I am lucky in life if not with dice so that more than makes up for it :D
Richard, you are a very lucky man with your partner. Talk about a good find! Please pass on my thanks again, as she was a Godsend on Saturday evening. :D

Tim
Thanks Tim. I certainly will pass on your thanks.

Cheers

Richard

daveallen
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by daveallen » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:11 am

petedalby wrote:I too had 5 very enjoyable games - thanks to Kevin for list checking and umpiring and to Tim & David and everyone else for making it a very smooth and well run competition.

My main highs were the victory (12-8, I'll take it!) over Alasdair, aided by some outrageously fortunate terrain and a fortuitous call of 'time' - and my final game against Dave's 20 Bgs of Covenanters who caved in just before my own army did.

The Hampshire Hogs will be at Campaign - entry will be going in this week - and Lance will not be allowed to take anything with Warriors in it!
I'll second those thanks to the entire team for another well run if exhausting comp.

My highs would be five games without Alasdair :shock: (although that does mean the Scots were doing badly), giving Charles his only decent result of the Saturday, and, of course, playing your exquisite Swedes.

Onward to Campaign where, following Lance's example, I'll have an army full of warriors prepped to provide easy pickings.

Dave
Last edited by daveallen on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

viking123
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by viking123 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:19 pm

I have just sent the results to Kevin but thought that I would try and upload them myself.

Bob

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Looks like a rough weekend for the Anglo-Dutch.

quackstheking

Post by quackstheking » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:39 am

Possibly the Anglo Dutch had a tough time, but you will notice that the only player with 5 "wins" (i.e scores over 10) is Ric Davey with his Anglo Dutch. Having played Ric, his army was very hard to break down but equally it was not set up to win big which is what you need to do to win or place in a competition!!!

Don

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:06 am

quackstheking wrote:Possibly the Anglo Dutch had a tough time, but you will notice that the only player with 5 "wins" (i.e scores over 10) is Ric Davey with his Anglo Dutch. Having played Ric, his army was very hard to break down but equally it was not set up to win big which is what you need to do to win or place in a competition!!!
5 rounds of 11s,12s and 13s are not what I would call wins.

I don't mean this unfairly but i'd call that a drawmeister.

I imagine he had a lot firepower on 2 feet of board.

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:47 am

Thanks Bob, I was going to do it this morning but you've beaten me to it.

I need to work on my submarining and remember it's start submerged and rise up, not start high and then plummet uncontrollably!

Return to “Tournaments ”