Britcon 2013

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

madaxeman
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Britcon 2013

Post by madaxeman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:13 pm

I’m pleased to be able to bring you details of this year’s Britcon event, to be held at our usual venue, UMIST in (always-sunny :roll: ) Manchester over the Friday-Sunday of 9-11th August 2013.

At Britcon 2013 the FoG 15mm Renaissance period will be 800 points - any army (yes, we know - but there still probably needs to be at least one "open" competition in the year or we'd never have discovered the Sudanese, and almost everyone will bring TYW-type armies so almost all of your games will be "in theme" whether you like it or not anyway)

Full details are on the BHGS Website, and a link for those of you who want to to just go ahead and book your place is available online here.

We've also listened to your feedback about how unwelcome Britcon's two late night games can sometimes be, and so for 2013 there will be an option to drop Friday or Saturday night's game and just play 5 games in the larger gaming periods :idea: . This also means that each of the "traditional" 6-game main periods will now be decided by counting player's best 5 scores over the weekend. You will need to confirm whether you intend to drop a game - or not - at the time of booking.

What Else To Look Out For in 2013?
• New Periods - including a 10+ game "Epic Saga" competition for the runaway success that is the Saga ruleset, as well as the debut's of two further 28mm rulesets, "War and Conquest" (supported by the author, Rob Broom) and WW2 skirmish game "Bolt Action" (supported by Warlord Games - TBC)
• Prices Frozen - we know there is a recession out there, so through careful negotiation with the venue there will be no increase in entry fees in 2013.
• Accommodation still optional - we've also negotiated some great rates at UMIST for a variety of standards of rooms, starting as low as £33.50 for Bed and Breakfast - all still in stumbling distance of the venue and bar as usual.

Bookings are now live....
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

alasdair2204
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: Britcon 2013

Post by alasdair2204 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi Tim

has some thought been given to dropping one score and how it will affect draw, not that I am anti it but it could lead to somebody not playing any of the op players and then popping up, just my thoughts

cheers

Alasdair

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi Alasdair, this is how we envisage it working:

If anyone drops Friday (I've not seen anyone take this option yet) then any "new" players will be drawn against each other for Saturday morning, those who have played Friday will be drawn as normal.

For the Saturday afternoon game players will count their best score (or only score if they have played 1 game) and for Saturday evening their best (or only) two.

From Sunday morning, everyone drops their worst score (those who have missed a game counting that as a 0).

We believe that with 5/6 rounds nobody is gong to win by avoiding the best players and there is the inherent risk that missing a game means you will have to count all of your scores.

alasdair2204

Post by alasdair2204 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:16 pm

That makes sense

so to clarify you are where you are on the sunday morning, only the Friday or Saturday scores can be dropped

cheers

Alasdair

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

On Sunday morning, you will only have Friday or Saturday scores :wink:

After that you will be dropping your worst score for the afternoon draw (which may be Sunday morning's) and for your overall score (which could be any of them). If you play all the rounds, you'll go into the last game knowing that your score can only improve or stay the same.

quackstheking
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by quackstheking » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:48 pm

What is the plan if the drop out or Friday night entrants mean there are odd numbers?

Don

p.s I would still prefer only 5 games over the weekend but the format that's been chosen means I have no alternative but to do all 6 games if I want a chance to win!!!

madaxeman

Post by madaxeman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:17 pm

quackstheking wrote:What is the plan if the drop out or Friday night entrants mean there are odd numbers?

Don

p.s I would still prefer only 5 games over the weekend but the format that's been chosen means I have no alternative but to do all 6 games if I want a chance to win!!!
The winner will be decided on best 5 scores, so you can play 5 and win.

If there are uneven numbers that's the same as anything else - floaters pick up the spares, or a bye for the chap at the bottom in other rounds The latter will also not be as bad an option this time with best 5 scores counting only and some other players dropping out too, so we may even get volunteers, or people arriving late on Friday who it will suit both organirers and the players concerned to turn into a dropout ...!
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

urbanbunny1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by urbanbunny1 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:09 pm

Some of us might drop the morning round, but that might be based on a pint or two too many....

:-)

SwartzeHeinrich
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by SwartzeHeinrich » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Hi guys!

IM going to britcon this year and IM thinking of entering the Renaissance competition, I ve been plowing thru the battle reports on the madaxeman page and it after a while its just irresistible :)

15 years back i used to live in Wales and back then i played some DBM. But i haven't really played anything since then. I live in Sweden so opponents are hard to come by. As a result IM in desperate need of some pointers. All i have done so far is to read the rules and the battle reports on madaxeman (thanks btw) :)

1.What should i think about when i comes to tournament play, you know does and don'ts
2.Any tips on choise of army, composition
3.Any pointers on how to escape being totally utterly megacreamed every single game …...
Fredric

nigelemsen
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by nigelemsen » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:00 pm

My 10p worth:

Points 1-2:
Pick an army that fits your style of play....
Beware "gunpowder" shooting hits... Unlike fogam, 1-2 hits means a death roll, even if no "morale" test... Over a whole game you will properly fail a couple.
Something balanced... Paint your figs generic ecw types, and you can morph down to TYW and upto 1670s at push... Swapping in flag/pike stands... Gives you the chance to tryout different lists...
Beware the long arm tap of heavy artillery... It can chip away at foot regt (needing 5s) or even destroy a few horse units (needs 4s to hit). In my limited experience i have found artillery to be spectactarly rubbish or brilliantly good... You end up either going "worth the points" or why did i bring them, another p+s would have been better

Point 3:
Play me... :) I bring fun armies as opposed to a balanced sensible list. This year, I don't mind saying.. I'm bringing a very poor 1639/1640ad scots covenanter army... I may get creamed, but ill have the most toys on the board :) 20+ battle groups
Proelium: Wargaming rules for 3000B.C. - 1901A.D.
Hordes of Models and Buckets of Dice
Web: www.quickplayrules.com
Social: www.facebook.com/quickplayrules
Twitter: @quickplayrules

timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:48 am

In an open competition most things will shoot with firearms so armour may be less valuable. If taking mounted in BGs of 4 bases, better players than me only take Superior mounted.

Other than that have fun and expect to learn a lot.

alasdair2204

Post by alasdair2204 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:05 am

To be fair

if you are new I would recommend TYW French if you want to go foot heavy, TYW German if you want to go mounted heavy, most players will go fro foot, Pike and Shot tends to dominate so probably TYW FRench the best

cheers

Alasdair

grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:56 am

SwartzeHeinrich wrote:Hi guys!

IM going to britcon this year and IM thinking of entering the Renaissance competition, I ve been plowing thru the battle reports on the madaxeman page and it after a while its just irresistible :)

15 years back i used to live in Wales and back then i played some DBM. But i haven't really played anything since then. I live in Sweden so opponents are hard to come by. As a result IM in desperate need of some pointers. All i have done so far is to read the rules and the battle reports on madaxeman (thanks btw) :)

1.What should i think about when i comes to tournament play, you know does and don'ts
2.Any tips on choise of army, composition
3.Any pointers on how to escape being totally utterly megacreamed every single game …...
1. Do: enjoy it. Expect to find friendly, informative opponents. Allow your opponenets to guide you on the detail. Tell them before hand that you are new and ask them to tell you if you are playing slowly. Expect to be shocked by the impact of firepower.
Don't: become paralysed by the number of choices available to you. Just make a quick choice and learn when it turns out to thave been the wrong choice.

2. If you go for a "pike and shot" style army, not a bad idea, it'll need mounted BGs of some sort on either flank to prevent your infantry counting a threatened flank.

3. Do the standard thing of working out:

- Who's foot are likely to be best (numbers/quality). And when they face each other what is the interaction like? Essentially, musket guys shoot best, impact foot/salvo don't shoot as well but are better at impact, so will have to charge. Regimental guns are generally good value and help foot units with shooting and impact.

- who's mounted are best (essentially look at the impact and melee factors). Commanded shot help weaker horse defend.

- who's got better and more medium/heavy artillery? They can sit back and make the enemy come to them

daveallen
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by daveallen » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:46 pm

A first competition, if you aren't already familiar with the game, will be a fairly steep learning curve. So I'd say keep your army and any plan simple. That way you can focus on what's happening in the game.

Pick an army which doesn't have too many complications. Pick one that can have a simple plan that will fit most opponents. Then execute that plan vigorously. Sometimes the plan will work and you'll win, other times it won't, but at least you'll have had a game and can always adjust it for the next one.

Above all pick an army that you think will suit your style of play:

If you like to get stuck in with a no nonsense warband army, try the Japanese with big BGs of heavily armoured Samurai. They move fast, like terrain, have good morale and aren't scared of much except being surrounded and shot up.

If you're more a Roman Legion type then you'll love any of the pike and shot armies. Get as many Superior troops as you can, preferably with Regimental Guns. Have some Horse, Artillery and Dragoons, but remember the power of this kind of army comes from its foot - get close enough to shoot and then get stuck in.

If you're more a one for the glorious charge, go for the 30 Years War Germans. Heavily Armoured Horse with impact Pistol (NOT Determined Horse) can beat most mounted and then they can threaten the flanks of the foot.

Or maybe you're a sneaky Skythian, steppe-type armies can be surprisingly effective. There are plenty to choose from, go for Superior Cav Horse Archers with only a few LH or Dragoons. You might need Artillery to force foot to advance out of secure positions and offer you their flanks.

FINALLY:

If you lose, at the end of the game ask your opponent what scared them about your army and how they might have used it against theirs. They'll be only too happy to help you take on the rest of the competition. :twisted:

nigelemsen
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by nigelemsen » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:01 pm

@jedi master dave:) all sound advice... so where does massed poor P+S fit in the thinking :)

SwartzeHeinrich
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by SwartzeHeinrich » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:07 pm

Thanks guys! IM really looking forward to Britcon :D

It sounds like early French is the safe bet, with some heavy cav to cover the flanks. I like the "impact foot" thing. As i see it it gives you two options. The boring one where you pick 3 or 4 gunns and pund way until they come to you or the one where you go for broke with an old fashion infantry attack.

The only sad part that i feel almost obligated to pick the Swedes when they for once have a decent army list to choose from.
Fredric

SwartzeHeinrich
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by SwartzeHeinrich » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Point 3:
Play me... :) I bring fun armies as opposed to a balanced sensible list. This year, I don't mind saying.. I'm bringing a very poor 1639/1640ad scots covenanter army... I may get creamed, but ill have the most toys on the board :) 20+ battle groups

Huga :shock: thats just to manny guys wearing skirts in one place...........
Fredric

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:50 am

Fredric, if you're interested I have a Later Swedish army that I'd be happy to lend you for Britcon. A couple of other new players have borrowed it and found it to be easy to pick up and use.

SwartzeHeinrich
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by SwartzeHeinrich » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:59 pm

kevinj wrote:Fredric, if you're interested I have a Later Swedish army that I'd be happy to lend you for Britcon. A couple of other new players have borrowed it and found it to be easy to pick up and use.

Thanks Kevin! I dont know what to say, that is just incredibly generous of you! :D

I really appreciate the offer!

As it stands i was reading battle reports at the axeman site (is there rehab for that) really really really late a couple of nights back and if it gets late enough i always come up with really bright ideas.......long story short I ordered an entire army from Mark at one three miniatures and he promised that i would have it well in time for britcon. So it would seam i have one already. But if its ok with you maby i can get back to you if one three doesn't deliver?
Fredric

nigelemsen
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by nigelemsen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:23 pm

Louis impact french are a safe bet.. Ben jones always plays flavour of it regardless of period and has a very good ranking... If i remember rightly he brings

3x superior p+s foot which he pushes out into the flanks to give mounted a hard time.
Min mounted which usually end up as support for the infantry
1-2 dragoon nits
A coup,e of artillery
Rest of points as average p+s

Return to “Tournaments ”