Tournaments 2019

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

spedders
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Tournaments 2019

Post by spedders »

Given the limited turnout at Britcon and the Worlds having gone maybe we should try and coordinate the themes for 2019.

I reckon we have Badcon, Roll Call (25mm), Devizes, Warfare for definite. We also have Campaign and the Oxford 1 dayers. Not sure if FOGR will survive at Britcon. It would be sensible if we could have an early, middle and late competition with hopefully 1 offbeat one (to allow for weird and wonderful armies.

Can people let me know what they think of this approach and if it’s preferred how we ensure the comps are coordinated.

Keith
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Tournaments 2019

Post by nikgaukroger »

Cardiff before Badcon as well?
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
spedders

Post by spedders »

If we can get enough players
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Did this year.
Nik Gaukroger

RonanTheLibrarian
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by RonanTheLibrarian »

I shall most likely be absent from the rest of the current "campaign season", due to various reasons (mainly dates clashing), but hope to be back next year. I like the idea of "fixing" themes according to the time of year and working our way through the Renaissance era (and actually suggested this to Bob M recently), so that we can plan armies well in advance, and have a chance to practice with them. Here would be my suggestions for a provisional list for 2019:

- January: Godendag (Cardiff) - Early 16th Century
- February: BadCon (Burton) - Late 16th Century
- April: Roll Call (Cranfield - 25mm) - traditionally Open
- April: ECW Day (Oxford) - errrr......ECW?
- May: Campaign (Milton Keynes) - TYW
- July: Attack (Devizes) - Non-European (possibly alternating between Africa, Asia and The Americas)
- August: Britcon (Manchester) - Eastern Europe/the Middle East
- October: 25mm Competition (Oxford) - traditionally Open
- November: Warfare (Reading) - 1640-1670 (but no ECW)
- December: Last Event of the Year (Abingdon) - 1670-1700.

Now, one of the things that puts me off some of these (Cardiff and Manchester particularly) - especially now that FoGR competitions have self-selected down to a "hard core" of tournament veterans - is that it seems perverse to travel all the way to South Wales (and in January as well!!!), for example, just to play exactly the same people that I am going to play at Devizes, Warfare, etc, but who - more importantly - live much closer to me, than I and they do to S Wales. Tom Elsworth recently put forward an idea that all Southern Region rounds be moved to Oxford, as a central location for the "regulars", which I thought was an excellent suggestion; should we maybe take this further and look at concentrating our "national" events more centrally, at venues more amenable to the vast majority of us?

What do people think?
"No plan survives the first contact with the dice."

"There is something wrong with our bloody dice today!"
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Personally I would find just going to the same venue off putting - I like going to different venues where there are other games being played so as to catch up with people that I would not otherwise see. Additionally some venues have a show where things can be bought which adds.

In respect of the player base that is, IMO, unavoidable and we will essentially be playing the same people these days - the exception may be 1 dayers where getting a day pass rather than a weekend can be easier.
Nik Gaukroger

madaxeman
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by madaxeman »

RonanTheLibrarian wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:32 am....
What do people think?
I fear this may be too ambitious a list for 2019 - as Keith says, Britcon was barely quorate this year with only 6 (including 2 from Sweden) making a 6-round event impossible, and the same was true of Roll Call where we also got only to 6.

There's no ideological objection to hosting events of 6 players on the part of "the BHGS", but the practicalities of "6" means that it then only takes one person to drop out late in the day and the whole event becomes nonviable, messing up travel plans and the like for the other 5 - this year we probably had something like half a dozen players drop out of various Britcon periods in the last couple of weeks, including one in FoGR so this is far from an unusual occurrence.

Planning themes in advance is certainly highly advisable, but it may be better to do so in tandem with focusing on supporting a smaller number of better-attended events.

In terms of locations, that may be less complicated that it sounds. Really I think we are saying that the Southampton round of the 1-day circuit is dropped and instead Oxford are encouraged to run 3 rather than 2 events each year ? If that happens and Britcon is non-viable anyway, then its only really left with Cardiff and Burton that sit outside the Oxford orbit
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
RonanTheLibrarian

Roll Call is neither here nor there for me, as I don't have a 25mm army for FoGR (ditto the October Oxford event). Burton isn't too far, provided they've finished messing about with the roads - last year, it took me over 4 hours to travel 170 miles, of which all but the first 3 and last 7 were on M-ways or M-way grade A roads.

I take Nik's point that such events provide an opportunity to shop, see other competitions (well, the tail end of them anyway) and meet people. However, who are you going to meet in S Wales that you won't meet at other shows?

madaxeman

Post by madaxeman »

The FopGR rankings currently include 65 people, all of whom have played at least one event in the last 12 months - so I guess there are potentially 64 different people for you to meet..

http://www.bhgs.org.uk/bhgs---fogr-rankings.html
RonanTheLibrarian

So how did I manage to come up against Ben Jones in almost every tournament that both of us played in, in 2017?

spedders

Post by spedders »

Bad luck?!!!!!
RonanTheLibrarian

Well, ony for me....

tjelsworth
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by tjelsworth »

Dear all,

As I have said elsewhere, we at Oxford are open to doing more 1 dayers (say a max of 4 per year). Additionally we could look at one of these being for a weekend in the form of two one day events and perhaps therefore allowing room for 25mm on the extra day.

We had in mind covering the four main FOGR periods but that one would be ECW specifically in line with the location. If we have 25mm it would be open.

Grateful for any input. i certainly agree that we should try to get some overall co-ordination.

Tom
urbanbunny1

Post by urbanbunny1 »

G'day,

I'm back, sorry I had to pull out of Britcon at the last moment.

I like the idea of declaring the themes early on.

Simon
madaxeman

Post by madaxeman »

RonanTheLibrarian wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:02 pm Roll Call is neither here nor there for me, as I don't have a 25mm army for FoGR (ditto the October Oxford event). Burton isn't too far, provided they've finished messing about with the roads - last year, it took me over 4 hours to travel 170 miles, of which all but the first 3 and last 7 were on M-ways or M-way grade A roads.

I take Nik's point that such events provide an opportunity to shop, see other competitions (well, the tail end of them anyway) and meet people. However, who are you going to meet in S Wales that you won't meet at other shows?
There is no reason Roll Call needs to be 25mm. Its more that it 'needs' to be confidently capable of attracting more than 6 players - the scale/period needs to enable that.
RonanTheLibrarian

If Roll Call was 15mm, I would happily attend, as Cranfield is well within my reasonable travel radius.

madaxeman

Post by madaxeman »

OK - I'll put it up as a 15mm event then. Oxford are doing 25mm so being able to have more than 6 players is more important I think.
RonanTheLibrarian

See my note about a potential clash with the annual Oxford ECW 15mm competition, which is usually also the last Sunday in April.

urbanbunny1

Post by urbanbunny1 »

G'day everyone,

I know it's a bit early to start thinking about Britcon 2019, but I thought it might be good to see what peoples thoughts are on changing things up at Britcon.

Britcon has been an open theme for as long as I remember it and I thought we could change things up a bit and try something different. This might help revitalise our "wargaming juices".

thoughts?

Maybe we could try smaller games, say 650 points, played in 3 hours. Give you some time to go shopping/drinking or do something else.
Also, with a smaller game might make for a more interesting draw

We could also change the scoring, maybe try sometime different to force you to attack rather than hanging back.

Was also thinking a theme. The general feel I get from most players is we all hate open period, so, how about a theme?

We could do;
Asian and Curry take away, maybe remove the Japanese as they are pretty powerful in period
Siege of Vienna, lots of Turk on Hussar action with a side dose of Austrians
Later Swedes in Poland

Subject to any last minute flights back to Australia, I'll be at Britcon 2019

Simon
madaxeman

Post by madaxeman »

Chatting to Keith about this today in Oxford, I'm (sadly) somewhat sceptical that it would be the right thing to try to run an event at Britcon this year.

The reasons are mostly around the risk of either not getting to 6, or only getting to 6 and then having a late dropout to render the event non-viable (without many people playing each other twice):

If we consider...
- Only 6 players last time,
- That' "6" were down from 10 the year before... however 3 of those 10 are now playing other sets so the total pool over the last 2 years is just 7 people
- and...Keith definitely can't make it, so even with Simon back in it, that's now only 6

That's before we consider that the 2 Frederick's fly over from Sweden (and already have to play each other in a 5-round, 6 person event) for it, so the 'non viable' risk/inconvenience matrix looks even worse for them...

If we get 6 or even better 8 people saying they want us to run it and are happy to take that risk I'm happy to go ahead, but I'm a little reluctant to offer it without expressions of interest as I don't really feel its fair to anyone to go ahead at borderline viability numbers, for the reasons above

Return to “Tournaments ”