Carbine Armed Horse

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

flamingpig0
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Carbine Armed Horse

Post by flamingpig0 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:41 pm

Is carbine armed horse worth taking instead of its Impact Pistol siblings?

stecal
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by stecal » Sun May 15, 2011 9:18 pm

It all depends on which army. Sometimes you don't have the option for impact pistol, then the option is shooty reiters with pistol -pistol or carbine - pistol. The carbine has the advantage of longer range, but can't caracole to fire in 3 ranks.
I am delirious with the rainbow of options in the Renaissance period!
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Sun May 15, 2011 9:48 pm

Carbine-armed armoured Parliamentarian horse is the BEST! Just ask deadtorius how much his Royalist cavaliers like them. :twisted:

While you usually only get one shot off before impact, it takes the initiative away from the cavaliers in that they HAVE to charge once within carbine range. Protected Shot will offset some of the negative impact. And a single hit can be the cause of death!

Three
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Three » Sun May 15, 2011 10:05 pm

In my whole two games played so far, I'd say that they are pretty good. I've used LH armed with carbine and Cavalry armed with carbine and pistol, and in both games they auto-broken enemy cavalry units through getting only 1 hit each but that lead to failed death rolls.

I think Blathergut has it right when he says that they can't be ignored, in my games they've caused the enemy to change target to the carbine armed Horse which allowed my own Determined Horse to pick their moment.

Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Scrumpy » Sun May 15, 2011 11:54 pm

I tend to use them as cheap support for decent frontline troops, either impact horse or pistol curassier. They are fine & cheap enough at 36 pts for a bg to do that.

Return to “Army Design”