Light Horse or Dragoons

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

MatthewP
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Light Horse or Dragoons

Post by MatthewP »

Given that you can have 4 Light Horse or 4 Dragoons in the French TYW. Which would you choose?
Three
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Light Horse or Dragoons

Post by Three »

Dragoons - 4 dice v 2 every time.
footslogger
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by footslogger »

Actually, there are times when the dragoons will give you 8 dice! This is typically at a "--" when caught by enemy mounted. And actually it's only 6 because you've been disrupted from being charged in the rear....
Three

Post by Three »

footslogger wrote:Actually, there are times when the dragoons will give you 8 dice! This is typically at a "--" when caught by enemy mounted. And actually it's only 6 because you've been disrupted from being charged in the rear....
Wow, you're right, I never really looked at it like that.........
MatthewP

Post by MatthewP »

The first few games of FOG R I played, the LH where very useful but against more experienced players they have been far less effective. I was especially unimpressed when I charged a unit of dragoons expecting to clear them away like chaff before a hurricane only to have my arse kicked. Time to replcae them with dragoons I think.
Thanks for your advice.
Matthew
Three

Post by Three »

Matthew, I've had a look at the list and you can have 4 Light Horse and 4 Dragoons, or 8 Dragoons bases if you want - the Forlorn Hope Carabins in the Core Troops section can be Light Horse or Dragoons with Arquebus, you can also have up to 4 Dragoons with musket from the Optional Troops section.
david53
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by david53 »

MatthewP wrote:The first few games of FOG R I played, the LH where very useful but against more experienced players they have been far less effective. I was especially unimpressed when I charged a unit of dragoons expecting to clear them away like chaff before a hurricane only to have my arse kicked. Time to replcae them with dragoons I think.
Thanks for your advice.
Matthew
I wonder who owed those lovely Dragoons then :)
viking123
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by viking123 »

As with everything what is best depends on the circumstances. A BG of 4 Dragoons against 2 BGs of LH with bow will be at a disadvantage in shooting at 4" as the Dragoons will get 2 dice (one against each LH BG) hitting on 5 while the LH will get 4 dice (two from each BG) hitting on 4. If the Dragoons are in the open and are charged by the LH then yes the Dragoons get two dice per base against the LH one per base but will be a POA down due to medium foot in the open against mounted. So it will be down to dice rolls, whether Generals are present, grading of troops (LH might be Superior) and does the LH have an impact weapon (light lance). In the melee the LH might again be up if it has a sword.

Bob

Return to “Army Design”