Making Poles work.

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

madlemmey
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Making Poles work.

Post by madlemmey »

Finally tried Poles tonight. 20-5 loss to Germans.
Hussars were flanked and died, after winning the impact, my opponent rolled 11 and 6 for morale and wound check, then killed my general!
Lithuanians died, after losing a general!
Light horse died to his light horse
Mounted superior Cossacks in a unit of 6 shot to pieces by carbine armed reiters, the lost a general when charges
Dragoons charged in a field by cuirassiers after being fragged by carbine armed light horse!
Camp taken

On the plus side, one of my pike and shot units shot and routed two reiters, and my haiduks caught and destroyed a superior skirmisher unt!
RonanTheLibrarian

Post by RonanTheLibrarian »

Bloody hell - did I lend you my dice again? :shock:

(Any chance you could use them on Sunday if we meet up? 8) )
"No plan survives the first contact with the dice."

"There is something wrong with our bloody dice today!"
madlemmey

Post by madlemmey »

Looks like I'm not playing Sunday as we have an odd number of players. It does mean I can proof read my school reports though! 8)
Pete was really lucky, each time he rolled for a general he killed. His morale rolls were outstanding. His list was perfect for destroying Poles! ;D
Buzz0000
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Buzz0000 »

I have always been a fan of the Poles, and recently "dusted off" a few units for an OWS refight of Vienna 1683. I am thinking to rebase the rest during 2019 to have a regular FOG-R army; especially as there may be a chance to put them out for the Sept 8th OWS Late European Armies (inc. Ottoman) event

With the new points system reducing the cost of Winged Hussars (DH/Superior/-/ImpMtd/Sword) to 19 points; do the issues mentioned earlier in the thread go away, or has the reduction in cost of other Horse kept the cost scenarios basically the same?

Other than taking on the traditional Ottoman enemy; has anyone come up with a good list for taking on European Pike/Shot type armies?

thanks
Buzz0000

Post by Buzz0000 »

Hi, wondering if anyone can share perspectives on my pre-Christmas post above? thanks
benjones1211
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by benjones1211 »

They still have a hard time against TYW armies due to the large amount of cavalry they need to take, but are better, its just they are not designed to fight them, but the Cavalry contest has swung slightly in their favor especially as they can take Pistol as the melee weapon, so win at impact, draw afterwards.

Ben
benjones1211

Post by benjones1211 »

And the fact against Heavily Armoured they are only a 1/2 pt down not a full one on the new rules also helps. Against Ottomans though they are quite deadly.

Ben
Buzz0000

Post by Buzz0000 »

Thanks Ben

I suppose that sort of makes them historically accurate in terms of their main enemies (Ottomans) and Allies (TYW style armies) for most of the period. Any body got some 800pts lists for Poles they are willing to share so I can get a feel for the "balance" others went for (notwithstanding the need to take a large % of horse and the expensive (but impressive looking) Hussars!)? thanks David (B)

Return to “Army Design”