ECW Regional foot flags

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger

ECW Regional foot flags

Post by deadtorius » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:13 am

I am guessing that the Regional Foot in the ECW Royalist list are the local militia's and was wondering what kind of flag they would have flown. I was going to go with plain red with the St George cross up in the corner but no other markings. Guess the other choice would be the earlier version flags with the St George cross and the horizontal lines from the Tudor era. :?

mellis1644
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by mellis1644 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:42 pm

Being English they very likely would have had the St George cross up in the corner, but pretty much anything else is possible.

Some may have been very plain, others are likely to have been quite ornate or multiple colours and may even include symbols/writing etc. That was to my reading more common for troops of horse, but I don't see why local troops with time would not have had some uniqueness to their standards. Being regional troops they likely did not follow or try to modify the traditional heraldry rules that troops formed by the Lords and people with a coat of arms did etc did.

Rook
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Regional flags

Post by Rook » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:25 am

The regional and city units, often refered to as Trained Bands, used the same system as the "regular" regts. In the vast majority of cases the colonel's colour was a plane flag, Lieutenant Colonel was the same colour with a saint georges cross in the top left against the pole. Subsequent companies would have a device, usually ball star or wavy line coming from the St George so sgt major would have one device First Captain captains two and so on. I usually do a sgnt major's colour or a first captain as the plain flags look dull. Try gtting hold of a book called Flags of the English Civil war, The foot By Peachey and Prince (partizan press used to sell it and its quite cheap) as it has a couple of hundred descriptions and illustrations including dragoons and trained bands. Also Old Robin's Foot but thats purely a parliamentarion book from the same source. :)

deadtorius

Post by deadtorius » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:25 pm

Thanks for the book info. I had seen the information on the flags, plain and then st george cross then the company symbols etc. I usually try to go for a flag with the company symbol since it has a bit more interest to it, unless I have to make the flag myself then its just a nice plain colour with the cross in the corner. I need to make a nice poodle flag of some sort, just having some issues trying to get writing on the flags on the PC.

clogs4444

Re: ECW Regional foot flags

Post by clogs4444 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:44 pm

deadtorius, if you mail me I can send you some for you that I did in photoshop pro.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: ECW Regional foot flags

Post by hazelbark » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:30 pm

clogs4444 wrote:deadtorius, if you mail me I can send you some for you that I did in photoshop pro.
Print them out on a linen paper. You need to practice which paper has texture that your color printer will still adhere to. The linen paper is both easier to manipulate and gives a nicer look. I was recently taught this trick and its great. Any texturesd matte finish paper.

Return to “Modelling”