FGH'40 Tournament

Forum for the organisation of official and user tournaments or leagues.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: FGH'40 Tournament

Post by best75 »

Hi
Looking for some new maps and these look impressive
I Will likely join the next tournament if I have the time
cavehobbit
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by cavehobbit »

best75 wrote:Hi
Looking for some new maps and these look impressive
I Will likely join the next tournament if I have the time
Welcome! You can download the map pack now if you like and try them. Soon there will be eight maps in total in the map pack.
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

The final have a weekend break, but from what I understand the matches are soon finished.

Meanwhile, here are aerials of the next four maps... :wink:

Orp-le-Petit

Jandrenouille

Poucet

Walshoutem
kingt
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by kingt »

Exactly 3 turns left to play in total (1 final turn for one player in one game, and 1 final turn for each player in the other), which will likely be done on Monday. Great games these were, and even though the end is so close, it still all depends on these final moves. That's the only thing I'll say right now, no spoilers. :)

The new maps look great, I have no doubt they'll be fun to play.
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

The four new maps will be playtested before they are used in a tourney. For those who want to help me playtest them, Orp-le-Petit and Jandrouille are included in the updated map pack. To update the map pack you need to remove the old version and then download and install the updated version. Any ongoing games on the old maps will not be affected.

If you choose to download and play the new maps, be aware they are not finished and you are expected to send me feedback to find a good balance.

Link to the updated map pack: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/535 ... OURNEY.LST

Instruction how to remove and install the updated version:
1. Choose Multiplayer (at the bottom)
2. Log in to Multiplayer as usual
3. Choose the My Challenges tab (at the top) then press New Challenge
4. Select a FGH'40 Tourney scenario and then Delete Campaign (bottom right)
5. Press X until you get back to BA start screen
6. Choose Campaigns (at the bottom)
7. Choose Download Community Scenarios (at the top)
8. Choose Download a Campaign Package from the Internet (top right)
9. Copy (or type) the link to the map pack (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/535 ... OURNEY.LST) into the URL box (very important it's the link, not the link text!)
10. Click the green tick
11. Back at the campaigns list, select the new campaign (the one with a start to the left, usually at the bottom of the list) and click Download the Selected Campaign (bottom centre)
12. This should download everything that you need
glenghiscan
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by glenghiscan »

Orp le petit is super hard for axis but I'm sure I'll work out a way
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

glenghiscan wrote:Orp le petit is super hard for axis but I'm sure I'll work out a way
Yes, I agree. My plans for the next version is to make the French less powerful. Any ideas how to make this scenario more balances are welcome.
kingt

Post by kingt »

I haven't played the new maps (waiting for the final to be over), but I don't think the French are too powerful. It's just that we may be using them differently than they actually fought during the war, exactly because we're trying to avoid the same outcome.

One idea is not allowing the French to deploy units in any other way than they're initially deployed. That way the player will have to sacrifice a few turns to get them in a stronger position. To win games as French I always arranged the units in a certain way, that wasn't anywhere close to initial deployment.
glenghiscan

Post by glenghiscan »

Think maybe more smoke and places for infantry to ford the river if you removed the French souma it'd be a cake walk so don't do that ! Enjoying trying to find a way to win as axis I'm sure I will only played it once king t is right about deployment as guardsman is about to find out in our game lol
kingt

Post by kingt »

Games started:

Ambresin: KingT (German) vs Zarevic (Allies) 2-2

Casualties:

Ambresin: KingT (Allies) vs Zarevic (German) 3-1

Casualties:

GG Zarevic once again, I had a lot of fun in these two battles. Ambresin is a great map, you may think you're winning in one turn, only to find yourself thinking you're losing in the next. And this happens quite a few times in the 16 turns. Both sides can win it, depending on many factors, and it's just as challenging for the French as it is for the Germans, in my experience at least. And it's very bloody, as you'll see the casualties tally above.

GG all players in FGH, and great maps Cavehobbit. I'll install the new ones and post challenges later today. Looking forward to the next tournament.
Last edited by kingt on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

And we have a winner!

KingT

Congratulations! :D

But it looks like Zarevic fought hard, well done!
kingt

Post by kingt »

cavehobbit wrote:And we have a winner!

KingT

Thanks! Like I said, this was a very tough battle, with many surprises, and many casualties even before the tanks arrived, so yes, Zarevic fought very hard. :)
Zarevic
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Zarevic »

Congratulations to KingT! Very nice battles indeed!
Curiously we played the same manner on both games (in my opinion): Kingt always choosed flank manouvers meanwhile i preferred central positions. Tactically kingT is a very hard player and undoubtly better than me.
GG and thanks.
Great experience this tournament for me!
Looking forward to the new maps!! And of course to the next tournament :wink:
To Cavehobbit, always thank you very much.
morge4

Post by morge4 »

cavehobbit wrote:And we have a winner!

KingT

Congratulations kingt! And to you also Zarevic!
kingt

Post by kingt »

Zarevic wrote: Curiously we played the same manner on both games (in my opinion): Kingt always choosed flank manouvers meanwhile i preferred central positions.
Yup, we were almost on the same page with attacking and defending objectives, at least initially. Head-on attacks aren't necessarily advisable when not having a strong tank force - neither side has the advantage (I think) because one can't maneuver (French) and one has weak armor (German).

Initially, I tried to win objectives before-the-tanks-arrive and deal as much damage as possible with a combination of fast movement after unit deploying (massing maybe more units in certain locations while ignoring some objectives that were not in real danger from being overrun by the attacker). Managed to do it as the Germans and took Ambresin faster despite strong opposition, and failed with the French, as the advance to Road to Moxhe was firmly repelled, and many infantry units were killed forcing me to a tactical retreat and abandonment of the town in later stages of the game, when I waited for the tanks to save me.

My second objective was always knowing where all the tanks are and what the opponent is doing with them. As French, I needed to figure out where to strike, as I have a limited number of combined shots and/or reactive fire, even though the fire power is stronger. Once German tanks positions were known, I just chased them hoping to land good shots. As German, I tried to locate AA units and destroy them as quickly as possible, or avoid air support in those areas, while falling behind the French tanks (this operation was partly successful, as I managed to surprise them, but I did not take out a decent number of tanks in that attack, forcing me to withdraw and regroup after losing the bulk of my PzIII and PzIV army in subsequent turns). To keep track of the tanks, I sacrificed from the beginning the healing power of commanders, which have fast movement and spotting range that's great on a map with not so much infantry.

These were the highlights of the fighting around objectives for me, with a lot of back and forth fighting in what followed. And there were many instances where kills would simply not happen, as well as cases where very lucky shots got in. Also that 25mm French gun, as well as the German AT guns were great weapons.
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

Thanks all of you you played in the first FGH tournament! I hope you had a good time and some fun games.

I'm currently working on the next four maps, hopefully I will have the third map ready this coming weekend. The plan is to have them better playtested for balance than the first four maps, although most were quite balanced. I'm grateful for any feedback as I'm not sure how much time I'll have testing them myself, as I'm back at work after some weeks of vacation.

KingT, great summary of the final! :D
kingt

Post by kingt »

Ready for some play testing of the new maps. I posted a couple of challenges for each new map, without passwords.
collier4
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by collier4 »

Congratulations kingt and Zarevic!

I have posted a couple of mirror games on the two new maps if anyone is keen.
guardsman
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by guardsman »

Rob,
Picked one up should be with you now.

Cheers. :twisted:
collier4