AAR - Hard Level

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War is a new and innovative turn-based strategy game that puts you in command of the Carthaginian military during a period of total war over land and sea with the young Roman Republic.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

massina_nz
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

AAR - Hard Level

Post by massina_nz »

Hasdrubal moves to New Carthage expecting a Roman incursion

Fleets concentrate back to Carthage

I draw Emergency levies and recruit 1 Spanish infantry unit.

Romans play Elephants die of natural causes - twice – Both Hannibal and Hasdrubal lose their elephant units.

Servilius invades Spain and takes Emporion easily without loss.

Fabius then leaves Rome and marches into Cisapline Gaul and gives battle to Hannibal.

I decide to play the cavalry manoeuver punic trick, as my best option of the two I have. Fabius negates my other two options: surprise and ambush.

I score 5 hits and 3 routs for the loss of a single Spanish infantry unit.

Fabius excercises his abiity to retreat after one round of combat, and I give pursuit.

I then score 5 hits in pursuit, but lose my Gallic cavalry.

I draw Macedonian/Pontic Aid.

No other significant moves by the Romans. but they do play

to re-inforce Rome

Last edited by massina_nz on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
massina_nz

Turn 2

Post by massina_nz »

Senate wants to reinforce Spain, well that’s okay with me, it’s exactly what I would want to do.

I proceed to build a single fleet in Carthage.

Mago moves to besiege Genua with Hannibal providing cover. [Note: I picked up this trick from the Matrix forums, defenders will never sally out if there are no leaders in the city]. There is no leader in Genua, so Mago can besiege it with just one unit. Could be dicey if the Romans send a leader to Genua by Sea, but is the AI clever enough to do that?

Hanno takes four reinforcements from Carthage to Spain.

Hannibal plays Gallic Aid.

I end my turn and draw Hannibal on the march, recruiting a Gallic infantry and a Spanish infantry.

Positions at the end of my turn

Claudius does exactly the same thing as Fabius did last turn. The AI is playing intentionally dumb! The Romans send another large force into Cisapline Gaul via Placentia, and they accept battle with Hannibal. I play the surprise punic trick card, in an attempt to minimise my casulaties.

I score six routs on the first turn of combat.

And then take two hits and inflict 7 hits and a rout in the second turn of combat. I decide to take the two hits on my Companion cavalry unit as I hadn't placed an African infantry unit in the front line. It's a powerful unit, but I suspect there won't be so many more pitched battles, and I will need troops better adapted to siege warfare instead, which means infantry.

I then score 5 hits in pursuit.

Good luck follows as I draw the powerful treachery card.

The Romans play another major reinforcement card

Normal Roman recruitment is below par for them

Here's the situation at the end of turn.
Last edited by massina_nz on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
massina_nz

Turn 3

Post by massina_nz »

The Senate wants to reinforce Spain, I am happy for that to happen and vote for that as well…….

But they change their mind, very fickle.

I max out my fleets at 8 units and send them all into the Mediterranean Sea

Hasdrubal leaves New Carthage and attacks Sempronius, who is in the field. The Romans decline battle, so Hasdrubal instead assaults Emporion and takes it.

I end my turn and recruit two Gallic infantry units and a Spanish infantry unit.

Fabius moves from Rome to Cisapline Gaul and declines battle with Hannibal.

More good news as Scyracuse swaps sides - which helps my victory points as I am now ahead 148 to 107.

Dispositions at the end of the Roman turn.
Last edited by massina_nz on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
massina_nz

Turn 4

Post by massina_nz »

I’m happy with that selection and I vote for it, and…the senate concurs. I get to build an African infantry.

I activate Hannibal first, and this time Minicus (who replaced Fabius after last turns consular elections) can't avoid pitched battle

As I'm out of punic trick cards, I'm relying on Hannibal's vastly superior generalship rating (12 vs 4) to get the ascendancy in the battle. I score six hits and a rout, and suffer a single hit and three routs.

I then score six hits and four routs for a single lost unit. Followed up by three hits in pursuit. Another resounding defeat for the Romans

I draw a Treachery card, I now have two. I'm waiting on finding some large Roman cites with some non-militia units in them, before using those cards, as I want to maximise there affect.

I now turn my attentions to Spain. I want to draw Sevilius into battle. I play Emergency Levies to place two African infantry units in New Carthage. Himilco leaves from Carthage, and travels to New Carthage with two units, then moves into the interior of Spain and Servilius does me a favour, and accepts battle. Troop numbers are relatively even, so I'm relying on Himilco superior command rating to win the day.

I destroy one opposing units and also rout two, but lose three of my own units to rout. I rally one unit back for the next turn, foregoing my leadership bonus.

Both sides lose more units to rout, and Servilius decides to withdraw.

Servlius suffers heavily from attrition when moving to Gaul and ends up with only two units remaining.

Back in Italy I use an option card to eliminate the last defending unit in Genua and it capitulates, then I end my turn after besieging Placentia and draw Hannibal on the march. I then recruit both a Spanish cavalry unit and infantry unit, and a Gallic infantry unit.

Romans don’t do much but move their main army from Tarentum to Rome, and play three option cards to bolster their troop numbers. The Romans must be low on option cards now.

Last edited by massina_nz on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
massina_nz

Turn 5

Post by massina_nz »

My standing is now high with the senate. I want to send a commander to Gaul to destroy the small Roman army there….and the senate agrees.

I move Hanno (whose command rating now equals Hasdrubal, due to his promotion last turn) to Gaul from Spain. Fabius declines battle and retreats into his camp. Since only one of his three units is actually an infantry unit, it's an excellent opportunity to storm his camp, as the cavalry units are reduced in effectiveness. Fabius retreats before the first round of battle, and both sides lose a Spanish cavalry unit in the pursuit round, then.....

I'm forced to play an options card before I can draw another one from my victory over Fabius. I force the Romans to eliminate the remaining two units defending Placentia. Hannibal then walks into the undefended city, grabs Mago and enters Umbria by storming Arminium. There is no point remaining in Cisapline Gaul as the recruiting pool has dried up. I then use my two treachery cards and take Ancona and Asculum. Since Hannibal has no more punic trick cards left, it's not really safe to leave him in the field. And he stations his army in Ancona, and summons Macedonian Aid.

My dispositons at the end of my turn. I recruit one Gallic unit and two Italian units.

Marcellus moves from Rome with 18 units to Umbria and retakes Arminium and Asculum, and besieges Hannibal in Ancona.

With Hannibal besieged I really need to get Hanno to Umbria next turn.
Last edited by massina_nz on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
massina_nz

Turn 6

Post by massina_nz »

Well it's a good start to the turn as the Senate seems to favour my preferred option. I even expend a moderate influence on senate option card to increase my chances of getting more troops to Italy to relive Hannibal. And thankfully they agree. Whew! I didn't want to have to leave Hannibal besieged for another turn and suffer attrition.

Himilco leaves Gaul and enters Cisapline Gaul, He then storms Arminium, losing one Gallic Infantry unit to extended move attrition, and no units in taking the City. He then attacks the army besieging Ancona. Livius, out-numbered 17 units to 23 breaks-off his siege and retreats to a fortified camp. I get to draw an extended move card for relieving the siege. Himilico then merges his army with Hannibal in Ancona.

I move the whole Carthaginian fleet to Scyracuse in preparation for attacking the Roman fleet in the Adriatic Sea, so I can re-supply Hannibal from Africa.

I really need to draw a punic tricks card in order to offer the Romans battle. Which I don’t get at the end of my turn. And I’m only able to recruit one Italian unit at the end of my turn as well.

In the Roman turn Livius takes Arminium and Valerius lays siege to Genua with three units.

Last edited by massina_nz on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

You are a glutton for punishment :)
massina_nz

Turn 7

Post by massina_nz »

I ask the senate to reinforce Italy again, and thankfully it concurs. I’ve been very lucky in this game so far as the senate has not been a real hindrance to me.

I recall Mago back to Carthage with the ‘r’ key.

Hannibal then takes his entire army in Ancona and storms Arminium again, taking it for the loss of one Gallic infantry unit. He then enters Cisapline Gaul and attacks the Roman army besieging Genua, forcing it to break the siege. I draw punic tricks, great!

Hannibal then out-manoeuvres the Roman general and forces him into battle, I destroy the small Roman force for the loss of another Gallic infantry unit. I’m then forced to play a minor option card, before I can draw another (minor one). This continual card flow is good for me, as it increased my chances of drawing another Macedonian Aid card, and bringing Macedonia into the war.

Hannibal then marches back to Umbria using a Hannibal on the March – extended march option. And takes both Corfinum and Luceria without loss. He then splits his army leaving 13 units with him, to bait the Romans into battle. The remainder of the troops are sent to Ancona.

Claudius willingly accepts battle with Hannibal. Given my cavalry superiority I’m able to play the Cavalry manoeuvre punic trick.

In the first round of battle

In the second round of battle

Claudius retreats from battle. But since I had to rout two of my cavalry units, I’m unable to land the decisive blow and only score one hit in pursuit, when I could have expected, four hits on average. Hannibal is very disappointed with Maharbal his cavalry general.

Hannibal returns to Ancona, there are still too many Roman units for him to stay out in the field. And he needs to ensure he keeps control of one eastern port, to kepe the Macedonian navy in play.

The Carthaginian fleet then leaves Syracuse and engages the Roman fleet in the Adriatic Sea,

The Romans lose two units to my one, and retreats to port. The Carthaginian fleet is joined by the Macedonian vessels and stays in the Adriatic. Only to be driven to port by storms.

The Romans have a varied turn. They play revolt in Spain and land Marcellus in the Spanish interior with only two units. Valerius takes the four units stationed in Rome and lands in a Roman city in Sicily. Claudius then heads north, taking all the Cisapline Gaul cities, but losing several units in doing so. I abandoned Cisapline Gaul once the recruiting pool dried up, so this was sort of a bonus for me.

Last edited by massina_nz on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
massina_nz

Turn 8

Post by massina_nz »

Senate wants to reinforce Spain – I want to reinforce Italy– we meet half way and they decide to reinforce Sicily!

I easily dispose of the Roman force in Spain, I play an option card to remove all three Roman units. So Marcellus has no units left. Hasdrubal then attacks him with one unit and……

Yet again I reach my card limit and I’m forced to play a minor option card in order to draw another minor option card.

Hannibal is now a bit limited in his options, he really doesn’t have enough troops to besiege a city outside Umbria, whilst still protecting the port of Ancona. So this turn I’ll focus on Sicily.

My navy leaves Ancona port and drops off the four Macedonian units in the Bay of Tarentum to hamper any Roman attempts to relieve Sicily. The remaining seven units then attack the Roman fleet in the Ionian Sea and destroy three units for no loss. I then send the Syracusan fleet into the Ionian sea to assist in the Blockade of Sicily. At the moment I almost have naval parity; 13 vs 14 units. But mine are better placed and the Roman navy is dispersed.

I then send Hanno from Carthage to Syracuse and pick up the Greek units and take Messana and besiege Lilybaeum

Hannibal/Himilco then do the gamey, siege city with one unit whilst Hannibal runs interference.

VPs currently stand at 158 to 85 in my favour.

Romans fight a couple of inconclusive naval battles in the Ionian Sea and Bay of Tarentum – resulting in them retreating to port

Then my Macedonian ploy is unraveled

Last edited by massina_nz on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
massina_nz

Turn 9

Post by massina_nz »

The senate thankfully agrees with my recommendation to re-inforce Italy, as I need to strengthen my fleet in the Ionian Sea. Which I do with two naval units from option cards. A quiet turn for me as I let my sieges in Sicily and Umbria continue on.

In the Romans turn their main fleet in Rhegium puts to sea to do battle.

Good first turn, I score 4 hits and 2 routs, whilst 3 of my ships rout

A reasonable 2nd turn of combat as I score 1 hit and a rout, and lose a unit. The Romans retreat to Rhegium as I am victorius.

Last edited by massina_nz on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
afk_nero
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by afk_nero »

Loving the aar - is there more to come???
massina_nz

Post by massina_nz »

afk_nero wrote:Loving the aar - is there more to come???
Yep, but combination of beta testing CEAW GS v2.0 and great summer weather has slowed down my progress on this. I'll make some exra effort.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

interesting and more interesting :)
massina_nz

Turn 10

Post by massina_nz »

Again the senate agrees with my recommendation to reinforce Italy.
Asculum and Lilybaeum surrender. The latter has a roman leader in it so Hanno gets promoted and I draw another option card

Hannibal assembles all his troops in Umbria and marches into Apulia, taking all the cities there and forcing the Roman fleet into the Bay of Tarentum. He then enters Bruttium and captures Rhegium, killing the Roman general there, and sending the other Roman fleet into the Ionian Sea. Then he marches back to Umbria to protect the two major cities there

Next I initiate a Naval battle off the cosat of Rhegium

A good first round for me. I rout three units and destroy two, losing one unit and one to rout in return

In the second and final round of combat I destroy 3 more Roman units for the loss of one. The Romans retreat towards Rome.

I then move my fleet into the Bay of Tarentum to attack the second Roman fleet

The first round of combat is inconclusive. In the second round I destroy two Roman units, and they retreat to the Adriatic. I follow them pressing my advantage.

Two more Roman naval units are destroyed before the finally escape to Patavium. My fleets now out-number the Romans 9 to 4.

I then take the opportunity to send 5 units to Tarentum from Carthage – and hope Romans don’t attack the city, and recall Hanno from Sicily.

Recruitment improves for the Carthaginians, as I obtain three Italian and one Spanish units.

In the Roman turn, Valerius takes all 10 units form Rome, liberates the two minor cities in Apulia and besieges Tarentum. That was indeed good luck, and something Hannibal can take advantage of next turn.

Roman navy takes precedence, which will help me in my land battles
massina_nz

Turn 11

Post by massina_nz »

After my recent victories my standing with the senate is very high, so I have a good chance of getting my way. I ask again to reinforce Italy and they agree.

Firstly I move my fleet in the Adriatic to the Tyrrhenian Sea, using an extend move option card to mitigate any attrition affects from moving so far. I eliminate the three Roman units there at the cost of a couple of units.

Hannibal leaves a few units in both Ancona and Asculum and enters Apulia, forcing Valerius to break his siege of Tarentum, and I draw the Treachery card.

Mago and Hanno then do the old besiege a city with 1 unit trick.

And finally Hasdrubal leaves Spain and sails to Rhegium with three units, and I better make sure there is four units there after recruitment, otherwise it will be susceptible to the solidarity with Rome option card.

Somehow I also need to get the Carthaginian troops off Sicily, they are wasted there.

In the Roman turn, Valerius leaves Apulia and moves to Umbria, taking all the minor cities there, and besieging Ancona.

Romans concentrate on naval units, I will need to build some new fleets or I will lose my superiority
massina_nz

Turn 12

Post by massina_nz »

Hannibal gathers his forces in Apulia and marches north into Umbria, breaking the siege of Ancona and forcing Nero into his camp. He then storms Arminium and attacks the Roman army in Cisapline Gaul, which also retreats to their camp. I play Treachery to bring Genua back on my side and then Hannibal ends his move back in Umbria

My fleet returns to Carthage

I draw punic tricks and recruit four Italian units – that card may be useful to trick Nero into battle, as he has an aggressive personality, and may attack a weaker force with Hannibal leading it.

In the Roman turn Nero moves from Umbria to Apulia and storms both minor cities (thank god I had moved both Mago and Hanno into Tarentum), and stays ensconced in Venusia. Africanus moves back into Placentia. Looks like there will be no easy targets next turn.

massina_nz

Turn 13

Post by massina_nz »

Now with all three Roman armies in cities, spread far apart, I now have the opportunity to siege all of them all at once. Only Rome has a port, so the other two armies in Placentia and Venusia cannot escape by sea.

In my turn I besiege all the Roman armies
Hannibal - Placentia
Himilco - Rome
Hasdrubal - Venusia

Crassus sallies out of Venusia, this is my weakest link – but even if I lose, if I weaken him enough he can’t do much damage

Crassus wins the battle, mostly by routing my units, Hasdrubal retreats to Tarentum, Romans play scratch legions twice and bump up Crassus’s army, only to besiege Tarentum! Rather than break the siege of Rome. Obviously the AI doesn’t “see” the threat to Rome yet.

Last edited by massina_nz on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
massina_nz

Turn 14

Post by massina_nz »

I’m authorised to reinforce Italy again. Rome will surrender in four years and Placentia in two.

I send two African Infantry to Tarentum, and recall Hasdrubal and Mago to Carthage, no point have three leaders in Tarentum.

Not worried by this as I should be able to take Palcentia and then break this siege with Hannibal if need be.

Romans don’t do much

Last edited by massina_nz on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
massina_nz

Turn 15

Post by massina_nz »

I do nothing new in my turn and maintain my two sieges.

The Romans see sense and abandon the siege of Tarentum and pick up some troops in Campania and break the siege of Rome. There’s no way Himilco can fight both the relieving army and the defenders of Rome combined.

However time runs out for Valerius as he is forced to sally out from Placentia

I inflict six hits and a rout for three hits and a rout in return.

And the remaining Roman forces are destroyed in the next round of combat

Last edited by massina_nz on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
massina_nz

Turn 16

Post by massina_nz »

Only five turns to go.

Hannibal leaves Placentia and takes Pisa, killing yet another Roman general there, he then moves to Campania and attacks the Roman army in the field there, but it retreats into camp.

Himilco can then resume the siege of Rome.

Crassus them leaves Latium and besieges Rhegium

Return to “Hannibal: Rome and Carthage”