Maybe North African Campaign expansion can be more dynamic

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design, Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

texican
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Maybe North African Campaign expansion can be more dynamic

Post by texican » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:15 pm

The traditional North African campaign in these types of games is the usual '41 Cyrenaica scenario, then Gazala, then El Alamein, then Tunisia or Middle East, depending upon how things go.

Wondering if....

they could section off the North African map, make progress (or regress) more dynamic. May layout is something like this...

Tunisia section <---> Tripolitania <---> Cyrenaica <---> Western Egypt (i.e. Sidi Barrani area) <---> El Alamein <---> Nile Delta area <---> Middle East

Start you in Cyrenaica, then where you fight next is as follows:

Decisive victory = Advance 1 area to the right, maybe 2 areas (if you truly shatter the enemy force count)
Marginal victory = fight next in same area
Loss = Retreat 1 area to the left, maybe 2 areas (if your forces are truly decimated)

You start at the edge of a map if newly entered (i.e., won previous battle).

1941 = fight 2 battles
1942 = fight 4 battles (or randomize it to 4 or 5)
1943 = fight 2 battles or leave it open until this campaign is resolved (i.e., win Middle East or get run out of Tunisia)

Thoughts?

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:40 am

One concern for this would be decisive victories would give you a very short campaign. You woudl also need many versions of each map depending on where in the tree it was - e.g. back and forth 3 times over the maps would need multiple versions of each map, proressively harder and with more core slots to allow you to progress your army.

texican
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by texican » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:13 pm

Or if it ends too early, you're in Stalingrad '42, just at the bottom edge of the map fighting up to meet the non-player German units fighting east from more traditional positions.

However, you guys set up the Afrika Korps campaign, more historical, I'm sure it will be fine.

Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Longasc » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:51 pm

Speaking from my Allied General experience:

The early Africa scenarios (British Campaign) were top notch. Challenging, interesting.

The problem was that the campaign became progressively so much easier once you made it past these scenarios.
The Western Europe part wasn't nearly as much fun and I barely remember many of the scenarios.

It's tricky... I want all AG and PG scenarios. :)
The challenge will be to merge AG and PG scenarios into challenging campaigns for both Allies and Axis.
This might require some extra scenarios.

The other option would be an almost 1:1 Allied General scenario translation into Panzer Corps, but ... but ... then the nice Panzer General Africa Corps scenarios would still be missing! :(

Maybe owning both games could enable a "Grand Campaign" with extra scenarios. But I am not sure if this is a great decision business wise. But it could be a nice bonus actually.

Anyways, my sympathies to the scenario designer. He is for sure more than busy.

Return to “Panzer Corps”