Just finished off the USA

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Kaiser
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Just finished off the USA

Post by Kaiser » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:30 pm

The fight accross Amerika was fun.

East Coast : Group up your navy and gain air and naval superiority for a couple of turns before you deploy those elite troops in their landing craft, otherwise you can lose some valuable units. Marginal Victory.

Mid-West : This was a great map with lots of armoured battles. The Canadian resistence coming down from Thunder Bay was a pleasant surprise. Decisive Victory.

I felt the Canadians were under represented in Overlord and Italy given their major involvment during the war.

West Coast : A tough map to play. You need to be smart with your prestige. I thought I'd have more for the last map to re-supply my battered troops. I used green replacements which cost 0 only if it wouldn't bring my experience below the next hundred. That way I was able to then add elite replacements for overstrength. Protect your strat bombers, you'll need them. and upgrade your tac bombers to fighter-bombers if you can. Tiger IIs are great here but are slow unless you have a hero with extra movement, then they can kick ass. I used Tigers to the south and Panthers to the north.

There was a typo in the debriefing but you may already know that.

BTW, the ending was lack-luster to say the least. There should have at least been a voice over! A short victory movie would have been better.

Great game, worth every cent.!!

Iscaran
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Iscaran » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:05 am

I also just yesterday finished my first campaign. I deliberately chooose to play default difficulty (Colonel ?)

1) I agree that "outro" could be a little improved.

2) For me US East was the hardest battle in the whole campaign. Though I did only 1 run on it I feel that a decisive victory would be a real pain to achieve - I was 3 or 4 rounds short for that in my first run.

Btw. I started this level with roughly 11k Prestige LEFT after upgrading.

The US fleet is really strong and does not allow for a landing farther south - and I dont want to think about how more painful this will be at the higher difficulty levels.

The time limit in East is really hard. I played all Generals games since they were released and yet failed "instantly" on that map. All other maps I did in my first attempt on decisive. Even the discussionably "hard" SeaLion 40 (where I then deliberately choose to "loose" to go to Greece.

SeaLion42 is not "harder" IMO. Moscow 41 was close. Apart from US east moscow 41 was the only map where I could not get whole map including ALL minor victory hexes in time for a decisive victory. Had to leave 2 or 3 minor cities in russian hands.

3) Mid-West was a very nice map...finally a map where one could make use of its tanks for tank battles :D.
But it was also an easy decisive victory 3, or 4 turns before the time limit.

4) West coast is also nice. It first I was afraid I could not reach Seattle quickly enough despite my major thrust force coming through the rockies consisting of 1 Panther + Aux +2 Art covered by 2 Do-335 Tacs. But in the end it took me longer to batter through the fortified south despite having 3 Tiger IIs + Jagdtiger/Jagdpanthers + 4 Art there.
Anyway I did decisive 2 turns before limit.

EDIT: I still had 9k Prestige left at end.

So overall I think the balancing of the campaign is good - keep in mind I played only "default" difficulty so I EXPECTED to win a decisive on all battles in my first attempt (being a passionate generals player for years).

Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Longasc » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:39 pm

Congrats!
I had a similar experience with US West Coast.
I found US East is a tough battle EARLY on. They might kill a few core units before you get them unloaded, which really hurt me.
Still I found most resistance was at the beachheads and in the air.

Did you knock out the Radar towers with land units? That can help your airforce immensely and also save your transports as they won't see them. Though by the time you can knock out the radar towers the landing phase will be almost over.

I found US West even more bitter, no prestige for elite replacements anymore and lost many highly decorated core units in the final battle. The ending is about as bad as in Panzer General, both games basically wave a "we conquered Europe, Russia and America and all we got was this lousy poster".

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:36 pm

The real world geographical lay out of the American Mid West was made for tank warfare. It's like Afrika without all the sand. I just couldn't resist turning it into an epic tank battle. :)

Storyteller
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Storyteller » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:43 am

Yep, a nice outro video would have been a propper reward. I was a bit disappointed about the end as well... After fighting and winning so many tough battles.

Iscaran
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Iscaran » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:13 pm

Yep Mid West was really one of the most enjoyable scenarios.

Although it was also the easiest of the US scenarios (from my experience).

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Wow, did really nobody have trouble with 14 strength 4 star M26 Patton? That's disappointing to hear Mid West is a breeze for everyone... although I'm not disappointed to hear it was generally enjoyed as an 'uber tank battle', which very much was the intention. :D

MartyWard
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by MartyWard » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:13 pm

Kerensky wrote:Wow, did really nobody have trouble with 14 strength 4 star M26 Patton? That's disappointing to hear Mid West is a breeze for everyone... although I'm not disappointed to hear it was generally enjoyed as an 'uber tank battle', which very much was the intention. :D
I thought this one was the hardest of all the scenarios, even Bagration.

soldier
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by soldier » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:08 am

Mid west was bloody tough, don't worry.
Havn't tried the last one yet, still a bit shell shocked :shock:

Iscaran
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Iscaran » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:33 pm

Well the M26 is a good tank and so, but thanks to my recons and Levelbombers I could avoid getting "first striked" by it - and my 15 strength kings took it out quickly enough :D.

Kaiser
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Kaiser » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:13 pm

Kerensky wrote:Wow, did really nobody have trouble with 14 strength 4 star M26 Patton? That's disappointing to hear Mid West is a breeze for everyone... although I'm not disappointed to hear it was generally enjoyed as an 'uber tank battle', which very much was the intention. :D
It was no match for my 14 strength Tiger II, Panther and 15 Stat Bomber. :lol:

Return to “Panzer Corps”