First Panzer Corps DLC Released!

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

rezaf
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by rezaf » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:33 am

Yeah, at least there should be an alternative download option only containing the updated content.
Also, my very first impression: Color me EXTREMELY unimpressed with the fact that you didn't even bother to get briefing VOs.
_____
rezaf

Gomoto
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Gomoto » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:38 am

Downloading !!!
(Lets us just enter the serial and let the PC application handle the updating and dlc downloading in the future. I am on a reasonable fast connection myself so no problem here, but it is just more convinient)

I may not have the time to beta test now. But that does not imply me not downloading any DLC for PC as soon as it is available :-)

Regards

P.S.
and after playing through the first few missions I love it. Good Job Developers!
PC is a winner and here to stay for the next decade :-). Just imagine all the possible DLCs.
Last edited by Gomoto on Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:01 am

It's not possible to deliver more than one file as part of the purchase process so we have to go with the option that works for everyone. This does make the DLC slightly larger but as the DLC includes the 1.04 patch you don't need that saving you half of the additional download. If the ability to download optional files comes we'll definitely allow users to grab one or the other but currently it is not possible.

The briefing VO would have meant at least doubling the cost of the DLC's to cover the cost of producing it. There are more briefings in the DLC than the entire game so it just is not possible unfortunately.

manticore
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by manticore » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:18 am

Not now, but maybe you could ask a German player to do the voiceover for free. It might be hard to find the right voice, but with wargamers generally being older, I'm sure you could find someone who will be willing to chip in his time for a mention in the credits and even maybe free DLCs. And generally, the voiceover in the main campaign sounded nice starting out, but then later almost sounded like an computer voice program with how choppy he sounded. Granted, he's speaking a foreign language, but I think it sounded nicer in the original PG.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:37 am

We did consider this type of thign but it would be hard to get the quality level without a proper sound studio & post production team. We decided it was best not to do them at average quality - anything we put in an official release needs to be top quality.

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:40 am

iainmcneil wrote:It's not possible to deliver more than one file as part of the purchase process so we have to go with the option that works for everyone. This does make the DLC slightly larger but as the DLC includes the 1.04 patch you don't need that saving you half of the additional download. If the ability to download optional files comes we'll definitely allow users to grab one or the other but currently it is not possible.
A single file? What about a self-extracting exe? Surely that counts as a single file. Point it to the Panzer Corps folder and voila! is done.

'Slightly larger'! I just checked the size of GC39 and GC40 in the DLC folder in PzC and they are both around 1Mb in size. The download is therefore more than 380 times bigger. :)

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:24 am

You need to have the patch so you need 300MB, plus around 5MB. You dont need the additional 300MB, so you have to grab 605 MB rather than 305 MB so its about 50% :)

From past experience it is the only way to ensure everyone gets up and running. Trust us :)

MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MrsWargamer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:52 am

If I was Ian, and KNEW, I mean absolutely KNEW, there would be problems if they went the other route, I'd pick the current grumbles over the other grumbles :)

Ian you will no doubt agree, no group grumbles quite as freely as wargamers :)

I almost think the average wargamer could find a way to complain about it if they were offered a free evenings stay in a cat house.

kjeld111
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by kjeld111 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:29 pm

Half of the player won't care or even notice the lack of briefing voiceover. 100% will notice a bad one :p

rezaf

Post by rezaf » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:20 pm

iainmcneil wrote:You need to have the patch so you need 300MB, plus around 5MB. You dont need the additional 300MB, so you have to grab 605 MB rather than 305 MB so its about 50% :)

From past experience it is the only way to ensure everyone gets up and running. Trust us :)
Very short sighted.

If, at some point, someone purchases DLC1, DLC2, DLC3, DLC4 and DLC5, he'll have to download a gigabyte and a half of useless stuff - especially if he had already previously patched his game to the then current game version.
_____
rezaf

JMLiege
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

what's next

Post by JMLiege » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:12 pm

Hi,

I'm aware (Salut Jean-Claude Van Damme) that the next DLC should be 1941, 1942... and so on... But anyway, is it possible that a special DLC is about the war in the desert even if it's not the european theater but at this period all the Middle East was "owned by" some of the most important european countries... - This will need more tiles, new units models (more brown than grey for german) - Afrika korps, desert rats...

About the download, it was a bit rude to download more or less 900Mo as I've already downloaded the patch 1.4... (my connexion is up to 1.1Mb/s ...) :cry:

Is it possible to do something like it is done with Battle Academy ? I mean everything in one file and keys to activate modules of the game.

Regards,
JMLiege

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:43 pm

BA is a bit different - the game files are part of the core system. The DLC's are stand alone.

We'll look for any other options but we need a robust system that works, even at the expense of extra bandwidth.

Xitax

Post by Xitax » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:15 pm

Alright - so that I can someday reinstall all this on another PC I'm keeping an archive. Can I just keep the DLC folder as archive and extract that to a new installation if I ever need it, or do I really need the 300Mb installer? I see that there are a couple of files in there, one with my code, (which wouldn't change) and another with a different key (which might need to change?)

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:30 pm

You will need the installers.

JMLiege
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by JMLiege » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:46 pm

iainmcneil wrote:BA is a bit different - the game files are part of the core system. The DLC's are stand alone.

We'll look for any other options but we need a robust system that works, even at the expense of extra bandwidth.
ok I understand. It's more difficult to protect scenario files. Maybe those files should be encrypted, the license key could be used as a trigger for an internal decryption mechanism (just an idea that goes through my mind...) :roll:

Nevermind.I've experienced worse with The Witcher 2 and Steam... (9Go for an update of less than 300Mo) ...

Regards.
JM

jokerrr88
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by jokerrr88 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:55 pm

Just bought both 39' and 40' DL now. Great Price I might add.

Xitax

Post by Xitax » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:16 pm

iainmcneil wrote:You will need the installers.
Ok, in this case having to store an extra 300Mb in each DLC (especially as more DLCs become available) is unacceptable. I don't usually word things this strongly, but I can foresee having several Gb of backup files just for the Grand Campaign DLCs by the time it's done, not to mention any other expansions.

I don't have a problem with having to patch before installing a DLC, many other games do this, and many of those are much more complex installations (Il-2 with UP3.0 and DBW, anyone??). Having to patch your main game before installing the DLC is not difficult to do either from the aspect of packaging the installer so that it gives a warning if you are not at the correct patch level, or from the aspect of giving an instruction to the user about that requirement.

This is my 2-cents worth. Thank you for the wonderful game - overall I am very pleased with it!

billmv44
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by billmv44 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:04 pm

Just downloaded both and played the first '39 scenario at lunch. I didn't even notice the lack of the voice overs. Probably because the beta's didn't have them. The price is a great deal for all the content. Another "Well done"!
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
Allied Corps Beta Tester

ffl310

Post by ffl310 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:37 am

Downloaded them last night a 1.00...
Big mistake. Played until 3 :-)
Terrific stuff !
:-)

borsook79
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by borsook79 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Out of curiousity - what's going to happen when 1.05 comes out? Will we have to redownload the ~300mb for each DLC again?
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw

Return to “Panzer Corps”