Sad but True!

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

WhiteRook
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Sad but True!

Post by WhiteRook » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Ok so after first playing through part of the long campaign in the base game on Col. (the normal level) and having no problem I dove into the Grand Campaigns and quickly discovered that it was much harder. Sooo - I started using the command codes (cheats) to level the playing field some. As I was looking to breeze through them rather quickly and scope them out to write a review shortly. Played 39 - 42 up till Stalingrad, then decided to go back and restart "39" on Col.

What transpired was a ghastly experiance to say the least, the very first battle in poland I lost not just once or twice but a total of three times! :oops: In fact the third time around I watched as (2) Tks formations litterly ripped my PzK 38t into scrap metal. (WTF!) Sorry had to add that expleative. I did not dare us transports for inf. or arty. as the A.I. would come screaming out of no where and nail them the very same turn! I mean it just went on and on, I felt like a total fool. :(

So despite years and years of gaming like this I can not handle Panzer Corps on "Average" level? So I resigned myself to starting over at Sgt. "easy" level and now I own the maps. Man talk about extreemes! Reading the boards here the last few weeks I surmise that most folks play on either Gen. or FM levels! Well I salute all of you, I have either sunk to new lows in strat games or I am really missing something in Panzer Corps. Any suggestions from all you Wiz kids out there?

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Re: Sad but True!

Post by Kerensky » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:27 pm

This is exactly why, despite a vocal minority clamoring for harder content, we have to do our best to create content manageable for all of our players. Don't feel bad, not everyone plays on the same level. :)

I recommend having a look at this thread for tips:
viewtopic.php?f=121&t=29134

And this thread to look at how other people are building their CORE for the long road ahead that is the Grand Campaign. :D
viewtopic.php?f=121&t=31618

Akaoz
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Akaoz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:09 pm

My best advice: Go slower. Most common mistake is rushing.

Cover your infantry with arty. Get one of the self-propelled ones and use it to support your spearhead. And don't expect anything, and I mean anything, from your panzers. They are there to add supporting fire, finish of size 3 and smaller stragglers and NOTHING else.

And try Colonel with fog of war turned off. That helps a lot without feeling like to much of a cheat ;-)

Oh, and good luck.

Schneides42
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Schneides42 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:29 pm

I agree the most important thing to do is to go slower and definitely keep your advances supported with artillery. I also try not to attack one on one, get at least two units adjacent to the unit you are trying to attack and do your best to cut off of their retreat. I learned a lot (after years of playing Panzer General) from watching how Kerensky plays http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cde0xufdi3k and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ0R07Ov ... re=related

Cheers

Craig

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:53 pm

Kerensky wrote:This is exactly why, despite a vocal minority clamoring for harder content, we have to do our best to create content manageable for all of our players. Don't feel bad, not everyone plays on the same level. :)
+1
I play at Colonel. I bet soon, you'll step up your level. :wink:

deducter
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by deducter » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:57 pm

I'm in that minority who always clamors for harder content...

OT: Been playing MP a bit again. Iron Cross, Red Star is my favorite map thus far. And getting pure ISU-122 does not work for Steamrollers against Steel, at least not against me.

WhiteRook
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by WhiteRook » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:10 pm

Thanks guys, I will review all the suggested threads and video links, again many thanks! :)

Also your tactical suggestions are sound and I will be using them, I am "really" giving serious thought to go back to Col. and turning fog of war off as recomended, that is not such a "cheat" I guess. :lol:

Anfield
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Anfield » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:22 pm

I'll triple the go slow idea. This game is all about the order that you do things and with what. And also as was said above, Panzer tanks are very poor in the start of the DLC. The later battles in France against French tanks will teach that, found that a hard test. So start on the easy setting, great thing is, then you can try going up one setting in the next campaign 1940.

And dont let the setting put you off, I play Colonel and its hard enough for me. I play historical forces, which means my core force is always about 40% infantry. Im playing the DLC a second time while waiting for 43 to come out, and my core in the 3rd battle in 1940 has ten infantry units and only 3 tanks.

Anyway keep playing away, and I can say even only being on the forum a short time, if you have questions keep asking, its a great group here and very helpful.

Happy gaming.

deducter

Post by deducter » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:36 pm

Just out of curiosity, what program did Kerensky use to make those videos? Is there like a free video-capturing program that is available? I noticed a distinct lack of PzC videos on youtube, which is unfortunate because this is a great game.

Akaoz

Post by Akaoz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:46 pm

deducter wrote:Just out of curiosity, what program did Kerensky use to make those videos? Is there like a free video-capturing program that is available? I noticed a distinct lack of PzC videos on youtube, which is unfortunate because this is a great game.
Back when I tried my hand at casting I used FRAPS. Works fine as long as you have decent 'puter and enough HDD space.

BloodCat
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BloodCat » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:33 pm

WhiteRook wrote:Ok so after first playing through part of the long campaign in the base game on Col. (the normal level) and having no problem I dove into the Grand Campaigns and quickly discovered that it was much harder.
I noticed a lot of people with same opinion. However, DLCs are much easier for me than the stock campaign: i'm in the end of '41 and got all my DVs on the first try, just Dijon and Vyazma gave me some trouble -- DVs were achieved on the very last turn. I'm playing on 'Colonel', have no previous experience with PG1 and not some kind of strategic genius -- stock campaign is very difficult for me due to a strict turn limit, I almost never get a DV in it.

brettz123
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by brettz123 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:53 pm

BloodCat wrote:
WhiteRook wrote:Ok so after first playing through part of the long campaign in the base game on Col. (the normal level) and having no problem I dove into the Grand Campaigns and quickly discovered that it was much harder.
I noticed a lot of people with same opinion. However, DLCs are much easier for me than the stock campaign: i'm in the end of '41 and got all my DVs on the first try, just Dijon and Vyazma gave me some trouble -- DVs were achieved on the very last turn. I'm playing on 'Colonel', have no previous experience with PG1 and not some kind of strategic genius -- stock campaign is very difficult for me due to a strict turn limit, I almost never get a DV in it.

The DLC I thought was easier on Colonel level but harder on FM. Up the difficulty and you will see a big difference in how hard you think the DLC is.

Aloo
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Aloo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:32 am

Actually the DLC play differently than grand campaign. In the main campaign you need to break their defenses, take control of the skies and control the turn limit.

In the DLC you need to be more careful since the enemy gets counter attacks, has air force appear on the map later on.

Generally in the DLC you need to read the briefing. And I miss the chance to read them again while playing.

You need to change your playing methods when going from grand campaign to DLC and back.

brettz123

Post by brettz123 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:01 pm

Aloo wrote:Actually the DLC play differently than grand campaign. In the main campaign you need to break their defenses, take control of the skies and control the turn limit.

In the DLC you need to be more careful since the enemy gets counter attacks, has air force appear on the map later on.

Generally in the DLC you need to read the briefing. And I miss the chance to read them again while playing.

You need to change your playing methods when going from grand campaign to DLC and back.
I think your mostly right on this though the same basic ideas that work in the main campaign work in the DLC. For most scenarios your turn limit will not be a major handicap. But his is not universally true. I find in each DLC there are 2-3 scenarios in which I really do need to pay attention and make sure I keep going as fast as possible. Now I have not found anything even close to the main campaign Stalingrad scenario which can be close run thing depending on how the Russians the russians build. Even in the DLC a DV is usually attained by capturing all objectives.

Anfield

Post by Anfield » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:38 pm

Another thing to remember on how hard or easy a game is, no matter what setting you put it at, is the type of core force you use. Infantry heavy with lots of towed support is different to play than one thats tanks and airpower heavy. So for those saying its to easy, try running a different style core force, you dont need to make it a harder level to make the game harder to play.

brettz123

Post by brettz123 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:49 pm

Anfield wrote:Another thing to remember on how hard or easy a game is, no matter what setting you put it at, is the type of core force you use. Infantry heavy with lots of towed support is different to play than one thats tanks and airpower heavy. So for those saying its to easy, try running a different style core force, you dont need to make it a harder level to make the game harder to play.
This is certainly true. I think it is safe to say that most of the gamers who find the game "easy" on FM have come up with an optimized CORE. Sort of playing the game within the game mentality. So Iwould very much agree that if you use less optimal units like AT or AA (except for the 88 which is pretty good) you will have a much harder time with the game on different levels.

It is also important to make sure you have enough artillery and air power to take cities as quickly as possible without suffering a lot of losses. Adding artillery to an artillery deficient CORE can increase the speed with which you finish a scenario. Sam can be said for air power.

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:09 am

I suggest going in to Poland with 2 stukas and the ME 110. Don't underestimate the power of the Luftwaffe in 39. You should be able to nerf those pesky Polish tanks with them, and the AI should stop to repair so you can sneak up on them while they stay stationary.

McRoos
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by McRoos » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:54 am

Many players tend to think that a wargame is something like shooting around and destroy everything you encounter.
Well, IF one plays like that, one don't stand a chance of winning on any level.

This game is a strategical game.
TURN-based.

Consider your moves and don't act to fast!!!

Tima
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Tima » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:38 am

It's all easy my friend, even on FM. The trick is to spend many long hours studying WWII history of the weapons how they were deployed and the changing tactics as the war progressed. See, its easy. Seriously though.... Anyone who'd be a fan of PC or the grand daddy of them all Panzer General would naturally have at least a passing interest in the history of the war which you'll find can help out immensely. Remember two things: One is that no military can use its different branches(artillery, infantry, armour etc.) without mutual support, trying is a disaster waiting to happen. Second: The terrain you see in the back ground isn't eye candy, it matters at all times what your unit is on when either attacking or defending and who your attacking or defending from. That's what made PG and the new PC such a addictive game, they can never get it perfect but the attempt at historical accuracy makes history buffs gush with glee as they get to wage world war.

My beef is why they decided to have the Romainians the ones helping to attack Yugoslavia when it was clearly the Hungarians that attacked along their border against Yugoslavia. That's my peeve for the day.

Szabtom
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Szabtom » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:48 am

Tima wrote: My beef is why they decided to have the Romainians the ones helping to attack Yugoslavia when it was clearly the Hungarians that attacked along their border against Yugoslavia. That's my peeve for the day.
Hungary signed a "friendship pact" (sort of a "best friends forever" deal) with Yugoslavia a few months earlier, and refused to attack even under huge pressure (but had to do so after the fall and crumble of the main Yugo forces). However, there was no way out and had to at least grant military access to the German army and allowed the new friend to be assaulted from an unexpected direction... The Hungarian prime minister committed suicide shortly after.

Return to “Panzer Corps”