AK Palestine Scenario - SOOW*

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Bonners
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

AK Palestine Scenario - SOOW*

Post by Bonners » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:08 am

*Save Our Oil Workers!

Havent got too far with this one yet and am interested in how others have got on. I'm just wondering if I missed a trick at deployment and could've used some more glider or parachute troops to help out.

Basically I'm 3 turns in and I reckon my Southern offensive is going as well as can be expected, it was fairly obvious from the briefing that this was all about maximising speed and pushing on as quickly as possible to help the oil workers. The trouble is I am nowhere near and I have already lost two of the oil rigs so a DV is out of the question. The thing is I'm not too sure if I could have done anything different. It is too far for the airforce to help out and the three glider borne units are helpful but not really enough to turn the tide. If I move my Arab units around to reinforce one of the oil rigs then the others will be too lightly defended. If I use the Arabs to make costly attacks against British infantry on the first couple of turns then I'll fail the victory conditions by not having enough workers left.

Tricky conundrum, I think I'm going to play the scenario through and then have another shot at it, but as above, is there anyway of getting further support to the oil workers? The only thing I can think is to parachute a couple of units in, or is it possible to get extra glider units in? Will this take too long anyway? Will they make it through the allied lines? The trouble then is will my southern forces still be strong enough to make a decisive thrust north?

Decisions, decisions......

Resolute
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: AK Palestine Scenario - SOOW*

Post by Resolute » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:22 pm

You should be able to defend the rigs with the troops available - just give it another shot. I usually get rid of the para trooper straight away and drop the gliders near the southern oil rig. That usually has that one secure and I've never had much problem with the other two. Just make sure to reinforce those Arabs and try to move your troops in a way that the AI has a harder time reaching the rigs. Good luck :)

Zampolit
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Zampolit » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:04 pm

1. Allies will need several turns to reach oil pumps from South. So you'll have some time to clear Northen area and restore your troops after it.
2. It's better to abandon one oil pump and concentrate efforts.

Bonners
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Bonners » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:55 pm

Zampolit wrote:1. Allies will need several turns to reach oil pumps from South. So you'll have some time to clear Northen area and restore your troops after it.
If I've read the victory conditions correctly though, dont you have to defend all three and keep them intact? Anyway, I'll be having another go, but I'm going to play through this one first to see how it pans out.

Greven
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Greven » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:54 pm

I quickly captured the airfield up north. So I was able to send all my airforce from turn one up there for support. I was able to keep all oil rigs intact and most of the Arabs soldiers.

brettz123
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by brettz123 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Bonners wrote:
Zampolit wrote:1. Allies will need several turns to reach oil pumps from South. So you'll have some time to clear Northen area and restore your troops after it.
If I've read the victory conditions correctly though, dont you have to defend all three and keep them intact? Anyway, I'll be having another go, but I'm going to play through this one first to see how it pans out.
Playing on FM I had no trouble at all. I landed my glider stuff near the closest oil rig. I was only ever attacked by three or four units one at a time. What are you exactly having an issue with?

Bonners
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Bonners » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:14 pm

brettz123 wrote:
Bonners wrote:
Playing on FM I had no trouble at all. I landed my glider stuff near the closest oil rig. I was only ever attacked by three or four units one at a time. What are you exactly having an issue with?
The fact that on turn three two of the oil rigs are destroyed and the other is down to half strength so a DV is already gone. Maybe next time I'll try landing the gliders next to the first rig instead of taking an extra turn to get them to defend the others. Did think about trying for the airfield, but didnt think my troops were strong enough.

brettz123

Post by brettz123 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:20 pm

Bonners wrote:The fact that on turn three two of the oil rigs are destroyed and the other is down to half strength so a DV is already gone. Maybe next time I'll try landing the gliders next to the first rig instead of taking an extra turn to get them to defend the others. Did think about trying for the airfield, but didnt think my troops were strong enough.
You need to use your infantry to block the British infantry from getting attacks on your rigs. Your infantry is wehrmacht infantry so you need to be aggressive with it. Attack his infantry and use your prestige to restrengthen whatever you lose. You shouldn't have any problems because the computer is only bringing one unit at a time against you.

When I asked for specifics I meant something along the lines of the "I can't stop the paratrooper from attacking rig number 1" or something like that. If you let us know that we can help you with the actual maneuvering of your units to best effect!

Bonners
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Bonners » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 pm

brettz123 wrote:
Bonners wrote:The fact that on turn three two of the oil rigs are destroyed and the other is down to half strength so a DV is already gone. Maybe next time I'll try landing the gliders next to the first rig instead of taking an extra turn to get them to defend the others. Did think about trying for the airfield, but didnt think my troops were strong enough.
You need to use your infantry to block the British infantry from getting attacks on your rigs. Your infantry is wehrmacht infantry so you need to be aggressive with it. Attack his infantry and use your prestige to restrengthen whatever you lose. You shouldn't have any problems because the computer is only bringing one unit at a time against you.

When I asked for specifics I meant something along the lines of the "I can't stop the paratrooper from attacking rig number 1" or something like that. If you let us know that we can help you with the actual maneuvering of your units to best effect!
Cheers, general stuff as above has actually done the job. Just restarted with a totally different strategy, much as above. I think I saw rubbish infantry and thought I needed to do a passive defence, whereas actually you need to be aggressive from turn one. Took some losses, but importantly wiped out three allied units to give myself some breathing space. The allies got one attack in on the central rig, but that HW infantry is now about to die. Also took the advice above about the gliders. Didnt bother trying to get them into the best position, I've just landed them all at the start of the second turn by the nearest rig, get them into action nice and early.

Cheers all, conundrum solved. By the way, I cant think of them as Wehrmacht infantry, in my book these are heroic Arab oil workers springing to arms waiting for their German liberation from the oppression of the British Empire..or something like that!

brettz123

Post by brettz123 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:44 pm

Bonners wrote:
brettz123 wrote:

Cheers, general stuff as above has actually done the job. Just restarted with a totally different strategy, much as above. I think I saw rubbish infantry and thought I needed to do a passive defence, whereas actually you need to be aggressive from turn one. Took some losses, but importantly wiped out three allied units to give myself some breathing space. The allies got one attack in on the central rig, but that HW infantry is now about to die. Also took the advice above about the gliders. Didnt bother trying to get them into the best position, I've just landed them all at the start of the second turn by the nearest rig, get them into action nice and early.

Cheers all, conundrum solved. By the way, I cant think of them as Wehrmacht infantry, in my book these are heroic Arab oil workers springing to arms waiting for their German liberation from the oppression of the British Empire..or something like that!
Cool. Yeah when I first saw that I had infantry I just assumed they were crappy. Lucky they turned out to be good :mrgreen:

Zampolit

Post by Zampolit » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:10 am

Ahead, to Baghdad!

brettz123

Post by brettz123 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:57 am

Zampolit wrote:Ahead, to Baghdad!