Dossier Tool

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

dragos
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Dossier Tool

Post by dragos »

Can't select land transport for any of the units. The list is empty.

Also, I back up the autofill suggestion for unit's report name, it should be taken automatically from the last entry in the Scenario reports name.
KeldorKatarn
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by KeldorKatarn »

In the newest version (check the first post) you can generate unit reports from the scenario report.
As for the land transport list.. You mean inside a report? That list should be filled as soon as a unit equipment is selected that actually supports a land transport. If that doesn't happen something is going wrong parsing your equipment file. Did you copy it into the tool's folder? If so, just create a report and select an equipment like Wehrmacht Inf or something and a land transport should become available.
dragos

Post by dragos »

Here is what happens (with the last version too):

I'm using the equipment file from here: viewtopic.php?f=147&t=30708
I have copied it in the content\data directory. However, for SE units, the transport list is available.

Here is the equipment file that I'm using so you can test:
Attachments
equipment.zip
(29.22 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Resolute
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Resolute »

Weird, I never had this issue - working fine for me.
And thanks for the update, the generate report function is a big help and time saver.
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

dragos wrote:
Here is the equipment file that I'm using so you can test:
thanks I'll look into it. It's probably just a parsing issue with some of the units. Should be easy enough to fix.
dragos

Post by dragos »

Great improvement with generate unit reports from scenario reports!

Anyway, a new bug appeared in the last version: hovering the mouse cursor over pie charts does no longer display unit type, only values and percents. Also beside average values, please make the same reports with total values as well.

Good job!
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

I can put the totals back in yes. I just thought they are less usefull because those values are heavily influenced by the composition of your core and basically just represent it, but I'll put it back in if you liked it.

As for the mousover tooltip, that's not a bug. I had to remove that. That chart library I'm using unfortunately does not allow easy change of the default tooltip and by changing it I caused a more severe graphical bug, so for now I'll leave it unchanged. The unit types will always start at 12o'clock in the chart and progress clockwise. I'll look into finding a better solution here however, but for now I cannot do anything about this. I'll keep on it though.
dragos

Post by dragos »

Another suggestion: make a checkbox "KIA" near the "SE unit" for the destroyed units, and for these units do not generate new reports from the scenario report.

Also please find a way to restore the text for unit types on the pie chart. The text and charts are small enough on my laptop screen, figuring each slice what represent is a real challenge.
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

I'm on it. As for the KIA status, I'll see how I can implement that.

Update: As far as the charting is concerned, this might take a long time. it seems to be a fact that there are simply only crappy or ridiculously expensive charting libraries out there for this kind of application.
So I think I'm stuck with this kind of buggy free thing that unfortunately does not allow me to do much about its appearance and features. A simple a thing as changing the tooltip on a pie chart seems to be beyond its capabilities unfortunately.
dragos

Post by dragos »

But how did it work before? In what language did you write the tool? I'm a programmer myself and perhaps I can help, but I can't stand VB or Java.
huertgenwald
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by huertgenwald »

Since the prog uses .NET 4.0 and WPF, my guess: C# ?
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Yes, but in this case more like XAML, since I didn't write these chart controls. And as for how it worked before... it didn't. THe tooltip showed up but that screwed up the chart rendering. YOu might not have noticed but after changing values the chart could get "stuck" and not redraw itself. However I think I have found something on the web that fixes this issue. It is a common issue with this library (WPF Toolkit from MS), it simply isn't maintained very well. But as I said, I think I found a solution yesterday.
If it works I'll push out a new version today.

Thanks for the offer to help, but the problem is not the programming. I can change the tooltip just fine, the problem is simply that in the current configurations changes like that cause a bug in the library to appear. But yeah, I think I found the problem. Apparently the libary depends on a DLL that is for .NET 3.5 and there is a .NET 4.0 DLL out there which you have to search for a little bit and referencing that one instead might fix this issue. At least several people on the net with the exact same issue report that it works. So stay tuned. If it works I can also improve a few other things about the charts, like the same tooltip improvement for the other chart types etc.
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

v1.0.4754.36533 is online. I managed to get the tooltips working for all charts. However I replaced the piechart with a bar chart. That didn't have any technology reasons, I just think the chart is better suited for comparing the values of the unit types. Also I replaced the line chart with an area chart. See first post for download link as usual.

The KIA feature is not yet implemented, I'll have to think a bit more about how to best support that feature. I think that KIA flag should go into the reports actually...

Edit: The modded equipment file should now also work btw.
Resolute

Post by Resolute »

Thanks for the update!
Just in case you run out of ideas (which you probably don't ;) ) I'd really like to see how much my core is worth in prestige. That would also be helpful in comparing different setups while playing a scenario/DLC etc.
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Well calculating all the upgrades etc is not so easy, but the current sum of all unit costs, that is possible. I'll see what I can do.
dragos

Post by dragos »

Thanks for maintaining it. I suggest a fourth charts tab: "Effectiveness" calculated with Kills/Losses.
Also calculating upgrades cost should be possible, if all units have the equipment set in each report.
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

dragos wrote:Also calculating upgrades cost should be possible, if all units have the equipment set in each report.
And that's the big if ;)

here's a new version. No effectiveness tab yet, but a new prestige and general tab in the dossier statistics and a bugfix that caused scenario report statistics to be ordered incorrectly. The ordering is now done via the scenario report entries. no unit statistics will be totaled in the dossier statistics if they are for a scenario that is not mentioned in the dossier wide scenario reports.

New version: v1.0.4757.40424
Download see first post as always.
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

At some point I'll stop adding features because I want to make some refactorings in the way stuff is implemented and also potentially support campaignfiles where the scenarios are listed. That way the ordering of scenarios inside a campaign would be more logical and the scenarios could be selected from drop down menus and easier synchronized.
In doing that I also want to optimize the workflow so the application becomes mainly a tool to view the information and to actually edit or add something there would be a special workflow guiding the user through special designed edit screens, making sure all the data is consistent etc etc. but that might take a while. Right now I'm pretty happy with the tool and I'm probably not going to add major features anymore for a while.

Bugs will be fixed of course.
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Just out of curiosity. Who is currently using this tool?

Edit: Also a new version is online: v1.0.4760.34453
You need three additional files form the game's UI folder so check the first post.
dragos

Post by dragos »

I'm using it :D Keep up the good work!

Return to “Panzer Corps”