Sealion 45

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

timek28
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Sealion 45

Post by timek28 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 am

I'm playing the last mission of GC West. Up till now the campaign has been awesome, and very engaging with some epic battles (Antwerp for example). US and British troops throughout campaign start of small and then build up to a great extent. My units are also getting a lot stronger, and more numerous. There are intriguing ways to earn prestige...

Overall GC 45 West is much better then GC 44 West.

However now I'm at the last mission Sealion 45. Just by looking at map one can guess that it will be a very long and hard mission. However right now at the turn 20 I'm thinking it is impossible in the way I'm playing it. AI has endless number of tanks and aircraft. British troops are not the problem as they are more or less static numbers wise. However US troops are pouring in from the west and they are countless. I kill 10 US tanks, and 10 more come. Ant they are very strong (at least 2-3 pershings in every group).

Apparently AI is using sea to spawn US troops from the west and apparently I'm not doing a good job of preventing those troops reaching shore. Once they reach shore in those numbers it is pretty much futile battle. I mean I can destroy most of those units, but it takes a lot of time and my tanks are grinding down in the process.

So what is the best tactic for this mission? How to prevent continuous spawning of US troops from the west? My ships that could sink US transports are on the far east. And in first 10 moves ships are needed right there (for sea battles and bombardment of London). Am I supposed to destroy those transports by planes only? Or am I supposed battle US tanks on the island itself? Battling on the land is possible, but very long and costly in terms of prestige and tank patching.

The mission is very hard as expected but I believe there is something wrong that I'm doing for now.

p.s: in Antwerp mission I gain prestige for destroying supply dumps. Also I can destroy oil fields. I destroyed them all (6 of them but I didn't receive any message about gaining prestige from doing that... How much should player gain for destroying oil wells in this mission?

timek28

Re: Sealion 45

Post by timek28 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:07 am

Has anyone completed this mission to share experiences? I'm playing on FM difficulty.

Resolute
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Resolute » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:55 pm

It's been a while since I did that mission but I bascially used my V-rockets fairly early to get through the London defense asap. I also landed a small force NE where there wasn't much resistance. I also made sure to block that narrow gap (bridge) in the East which prevented tons of reinforements pouring in.

zechi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by zechi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:14 pm

I also played the scenario on FM difficulty and won a decisive victory.

The scenario was challenging, but the AI did a very poor job with their navy. Despite their numeric superiority the fleet located in the western part of the map did not attack the Kriegsmarine at all. The Allied fleet did wait and did not attack. This allowed me to destroy the Allied navy located in the north eastern part of the map and to protect the landing. As already Resolut pointed out, the V Weapons are really helpful to get a landing force on shore and also to get through the London defense very quickly.

I was also able to quickly get air superiority in the first ten turns. After I got a solid landing force on British soil, destroyed the north-eastern Allied navy and secured air superiority, my strategic bombers could destroy the big western fleet easily. I then quickly moved the Kriegsmarine units into position to intercept the incoming US transport with support of the strategic bombers. I also used para units to get the cities in Wales. Some ground units blocked the landing sites as well (the AI plays rather poorly during amphibious invasions). The US force was then annhilated rather quickly and was not able to secure a beachhead.

timek28

Post by timek28 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks for the info guys :)
zechi wrote:I also played the scenario on FM difficulty and won a decisive victory.

The scenario was challenging, but the AI did a very poor job with their navy.
I agree. He has so many ships in the west, but I managed to destroy them all before they reached London. I did this with 5 strategic bombers and some help of my own Battleships located on south.
zechi wrote: Despite their numeric superiority the fleet located in the western part of the map did not attack the Kriegsmarine at all. The Allied fleet did wait and did not attack.
In my case it didn't wait. It went eastward but I intercepted them with my bombers before they could reach me and do damage.
zechi wrote: This allowed me to destroy the Allied navy located in the north eastern part of the map and to protect the landing. As already Resolut pointed out, the V Weapons are really helpful to get a landing force on shore and also to get through the London defense very quickly.
I used all my V weapons cautiously, but it seems that I chose the wrong targets. I guess London hexes are most important but the problem with London is that there are 2 circles of defense before reaching it. They also have 3 artillery pieces and US troops start reinforcing almost from the beginning. But I will certainly replay the mission and I will go for artillery and AA units in London first (17 pounder AT units were my priority in the first try).
zechi wrote: I was also able to quickly get air superiority in the first ten turns. After I got a solid landing force on British soil, destroyed the north-eastern Allied navy and secured air superiority, my strategic bombers could destroy the big western fleet easily.
No can do :) AI sends wave after wave of fighter bomber groups. There is no definitive annihilation of allied aircraft. There are 40 turns in the scenario and AI spawns new aircraft on every 4th - 5th turn or so. I''ve counted at least 5 waves of allied aircraft until the 20th turn. And they are all very strong, and some waves include around 8 aircraft.

I manage to destroy them all, but it wears my planes down to 10 SP (British AA also does some damage). I can never be complacent about AI air force. If I send my bombers unprotected which has to happen sometime as I don't have enough aircraft to protect everything), I usually regret that decision despite there was no AI aircraft in previous 2-3 turns.

Bottom line at the 20th turn AI air force is far from being dealt with, and they just keep coming while my air force is worn down to 10SP.
zechi wrote: I then quickly moved the Kriegsmarine units into position to intercept the incoming US transport with support of the strategic bombers. I also used para units to get the cities in Wales. Some ground units blocked the landing sites as well (the AI plays rather poorly during amphibious invasions). The US force was then annhilated rather quickly and was not able to secure a beachhead.
This is the tactic I'm also looking forward to. But it is only possible if V rockets are used to annihilated London defenses. Also I believe US troops start landing almost immediately so almost all bombing effort has to be done very quickly and should be focused from London on to the landing untis on the west...

ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:39 pm

timek28 wrote:in Antwerp mission I gain prestige for destroying supply dumps. Also I can destroy oil fields. I destroyed them all (6 of them but I didn't receive any message about gaining prestige from doing that... How much should player gain for destroying oil wells in this mission?
You missed more than half of them if you destroyed six... After the fourth you should have received 1500 prestige, with a message. As for the rest, check my post here, it lists all their locations and rewards: viewtopic.php?f=121&t=39382&start=20#p386302

As for Sealion45, the northern US transport fleet spawns on turn 8, and will reach the UK quickly. An even bigger fleet will spawn on turn 16, more to the south, west of where your U-boats start. I would concentrate on this fleet, as it will land all over the west coast, forcing you to spread out to counter them. At least try to prevent them landing far south near Exeter/Bristol, you can't stop them all but if they land further north you can hold them near Wye/Severn River, but watch out for some of the later airwaves. And it is very important to quickly put your units next to the city hexes to prevent the AI from spamming units.

timek28

Post by timek28 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:22 pm

ThvN wrote:
timek28 wrote:in Antwerp mission I gain prestige for destroying supply dumps. Also I can destroy oil fields. I destroyed them all (6 of them but I didn't receive any message about gaining prestige from doing that... How much should player gain for destroying oil wells in this mission?
You missed more than half of them if you destroyed six... After the fourth you should have received 1500 prestige, with a message. As for the rest, check my post here, it lists all their locations and rewards: viewtopic.php?f=121&t=39382&start=20#p386302
You saved my life ThbN :))) I actually managed to destroy all of them but one! And that one made a 4000 prestige difference! Now I'm going into the Brussels scenario with more than 11000 prestige which should be enough to buy some nice Mouse tanks :)
ThvN wrote: As for Sealion45, the northern US transport fleet spawns on turn 8, and will reach the UK quickly. An even bigger fleet will spawn on turn 16, more to the south, west of where your U-boats start. I would concentrate on this fleet, as it will land all over the west coast, forcing you to spread out to counter them. At least try to prevent them landing far south near Exeter/Bristol, you can't stop them all but if they land further north you can hold them near Wye/Severn River, but watch out for some of the later airwaves. And it is very important to quickly put your units next to the city hexes to prevent the AI from spamming units.
Thanks for the spawning info. I didn't notice that AI spawns units from city hexes. I believe this is not the "artificial resistance spawning" situation like in original PC, but scripted spawning like in GC East which is fine by me. With 4000 more prestige I should be in far better position at the beginning of Sealion45 overall now.

zechi

Post by zechi » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:23 am

Allied air units respawn during the scenario, but the respawned units were not strong enough to challenge the Luftwaffe forces I had. Only the Gloster Meteors are really dangerous, all other aircraft are normally destroyed easily.

I did not notice that US forces arrived already at turn 8. I only remember the really strong landing force on turn 16, but then I had the Kriegsmarine and my air and ground force in position to counter the US forces.

Return to “Panzer Corps”