Combat Details: Attack and Defense?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

dinosaurjr10
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Combat Details: Attack and Defense?

Post by dinosaurjr10 »

I found the Combat Details and Initiative Explained Parts 1 and 2 threads (Matrix Games forums/tm.asp?m=2994803 and Slitherine forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=34568) via the FAQ (Slitherine forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=27283), and I now believe I understand the initiative part of the Combat Details view. However, I haven't found an explanation for the attack and defense portions of this view in the manual, the Combat Details threads, or the forum in general.

I believe Rood alluded to an explanation in the first Combat Details thread when he stated:
Based on the attack and defense values a sort of combat results table (CRT) is made...
Could someone point me to an already existing explanation, or possible reply with one for the following screenshot? How are the Effective Attack and Defense values used to calculate the Miss/Suppress/Kill values, or are they?

Any info is appreciated!
EffectiveAttackDefense.jpg
EffectiveAttackDefense.jpg (247.28 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Re: Combat Details: Attack and Defense?

Post by Tarrak »

There must be some kind of formula to calculate this but i can't remember it, which is no surprise i am getting way to old :P, but i can't find it as well on the boards. Maybe someone else can help you if you really want to know it, i personally i am lazy and i am happy enough with the computer doing the calculations for me. :)
dinosaurjr10

Post by dinosaurjr10 »

Ha! I *should* be happy with the computer doing the calculations for me, but the game provides more insight into it's calculations than PG2 does. So now it has me curious!
Forefall
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Forefall »

I'd love to know this as well. Pretty important for strategical unit selection.
Forefall
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Forefall »

Would any developer be able to offer at least some insight?
Rood
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Rood »

With a lot of patience we can deduce some things ourselves.

The reason I said there's a combat results table as opposed to a formula is that based on my experience - and I never looked into this in depth - even if the attack value is for example 10 times greater than the defense value the attack will not have a 100% chance of kills.

It could still be a formula though but then it's a complicated one :).

Also I have never checked if there is a difference on the unit attacking or defending, for example is there a different chance to miss/kill/surpress when a tank attacks an infantry unit or when it's infantry vs infantry (with the same attack/defense values of course).
Forefall
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Forefall »

Unfortunately on iPad I can't even check detailed combat reports. Sucks not to understand this basic mechanic.
Forefall
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Forefall »

Bump
cranston
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by cranston »

Is this what you're looking for?
viewtopic.php?t=26995
ksasaki
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ksasaki »

I made a table with Goliath's formulas from -10 < X < 10, where X = effective attack - effective defense.

viewtopic.php?f=121&t=48173,

In your example screenshot, I see X = 4. If you look at this table, yours is a direct fire unit (Pz IIIH), so 30% miss, 58% kill, 12% suppress which agrees with your picture!

I'll attach the table here for convenience.

Just a quick note - direct fire units are most units not artillery, indirect fire is artillery and level bombers.
Attachments
kills and suppression
kills and suppression
kills and suppression.png (9.02 KiB) Viewed 3802 times

Return to “Panzer Corps”