General questions

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

oasis22
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

General questions

Post by oasis22 »

Hi,

1_ In the scn Sevastopol(GC) the Karl-Gerat motar and the Gustave rail gun don't provide suppression but, in the Metz scn the
280mm K5 rail gun do, can anyone explain why...

2_If on on capturing the last victory exe(end of scn) i'm also capturing a city that give out a capture eqp. will it appear in the next
deployment phase... or should i wait another turn to capture the last victory exe...a lot of capturing in this sentence :roll:

Thanks
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Re: General questions

Post by ThvN »

Hello oasis22,
oasis22 wrote:In the scn Sevastopol(GC) the Karl-Gerat motar and the Gustave rail gun don't provide suppression but, in the Metz scn the
280mm K5 rail gun do, can anyone explain why...
It mostly due to the stats of the guns, I guess. The Karl-Gerät and Gustav have huge attack values (50-80) and only fire a few shots (4 instead of 10 when they are at 10 strength). You can press 'L' after an attack to see what the chances of killing/suppressing are, they will easily kill a few strength points but have difficulty suppressing targets. They are best used against targets with very high defense values. The K5 rail gun has more normal stats and will act more like a normal artillery weapon in the game.
If on on capturing the last victory exe(end of scn) i'm also capturing a city that give out a capture eqp. will it appear in the next
deployment phase... or should i wait another turn to capture the last victory exe...
The capturable unit will not appear if you don't wait until next turn to finish the scenario. So if you want that unit, you'll have to wait another turn to capture the last VH, unfortunately.
shawkhan
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by shawkhan »

If you are hit by one of the Big guns, you die, there is no suppression, only misses.
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Karl and Gustav are "bonus" artillery. K5 is a normal artillery unit that travels on railroads. This probably explains their differences.

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
johntindall
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by johntindall »

I'm playing iPad multiplayer. Although in the tutorials I came up against entrenched inf, there does not appear to be this option for player's units. Couldn't get any hints from User Manual or searching 'entrench' in this forum.

Have I missed something?
mysticfm
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mysticfm »

johntindall wrote:I'm playing iPad multiplayer. Although in the tutorials I came up against entrenched inf, there does not appear to be this option for player's units. Couldn't get any hints from User Manual or searching 'entrench' in this forum.

Have I missed something?
I don't think it is anywhere in the help, but my recollection from a certain PzC-like game in the past :mrgreen: is that units start entrenching automatically when they do not move in a turn, and the longer they stay put the more entrenched they get (within the limits as are described in the PzC manual).
Molve
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Molve »

mysticfm wrote:
johntindall wrote:I'm playing iPad multiplayer. Although in the tutorials I came up against entrenched inf, there does not appear to be this option for player's units. Couldn't get any hints from User Manual or searching 'entrench' in this forum.

Have I missed something?
I don't think it is anywhere in the help, but my recollection from a certain PzC-like game in the past :mrgreen: is that units start entrenching automatically when they do not move in a turn, and the longer they stay put the more entrenched they get (within the limits as are described in the PzC manual).
Exactly. Entrenching isn't a command you give your units. It's what they do "on their spare time", automatically each turn they don't have to do something else (moving and/or attacking).

If you want to entrench units, move them into favorable terrain, and then... wait. Try it out and study the effects: it's by far the best way to learn! :D

The details are partly in the game library (though not yet fully on the iPad version, sorry) and partly in threads linked to from the FAQ thread here on the forums, but there are still some particular details (such as which units entrench faster than other units) not available anywhere.

In general, however, units behave pretty much you'd expect them to (at least if you have a passing knowledge of WWII warfare): entrenching is easier in cities and forests than on open plains and in deserts (easier meaning a higher base entrenchment value, as well as a higher maximum entrenchment value); infantry are better than tanks at entrenching (they increase their entrenchment value faster, and they don't have a cap on their entrenchment value that prevents them from reaching the maximum value allowed by the terrain hex).

Regarding how you get rid of enemy entrenchment that's fairly straight-forward: each attack on a unit lowers entrenchment by one. That's the basic mechanism of the game that encourages historical artillery barrages on enemy-held towns before you send in the troops!

And one final thing you should know: combat engineers (called "Pioneers" for the Wehrmacht) ignore entrenchment; which is why it isn't a suicide mission for them to attack well-entrenched (entrenchment values 5+) foes.

M

PS. Then there's the entire subsystem of combat (and how entrenchment and close terrain defense interacts and affects combat outcomes) but I figured you had enough info to start you off already :)

Return to “Panzer Corps”